Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Early Floyd compared to Early Roy

It's funny I have both of their careers, and Floyd was so much better when they started... He didn't have problems with any of his opponents, and he fought like a season veteran. Roy seemed to have a hard time finding openings in some of his fights, and he would throw wild shots that even crappy fighters were able to avoid. I think Floyd's style is better because technically he has always been better than Roy, and he's the better fighter, but because of Roy's combination of speed, power, and reflexes it makes him the far more dangerous of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Early Floyd compared to Early Roy

I do not think floyd compares compeltely to Jones, Jones had even better speed and cetainly more power, I will say this steroids is what happens when a great fighter becomes almost superhuman, a great athlete+steroids equals freaky= roy jones. Thats being said even pre roids jones was more gifted mayweather has not fought anyone with anywhere cles to his skill level, castillo, chico really arent world class, I think if had any balls he would have foguht miguel coto who I beleive he could beat but it was a risk so mayweather pursues arturo gatti? Floyd has not fought a world class fighter skill wise in his career and no judah is not world class, sorry guys. Shane mosley is world class, winky wright, oscar, etc.. Keep in mind he is fighting oscar past his prime... floyd does not like risks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A wash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pagdog i love your avatar but that post was some of the most bias shit i've ever read.

you say that corrals and castillo aren't really world class but you diss PBF for not fighting Cotto. Mayweather Judah was a fight that alot boxing fans wanted to see for along time so i wish people would stop dissing him for fighting Judah.

Shane had a chance to fight PBF but he said no. he waited till oscar said he would fight PBF to decicde that he would fight him. Now Shane keeps saying when Oscar finishes him he's gonna fight PBF. Which is the dumbest shit to come out his mouth since his rematch with oscar in 2003.

People just wanna attack the man thats on top. Oscar use to get hatted on like this years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got Roy!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually think that RJJ was slightly more developed in the begining, I mean theres fights where you see RJJs speed, footwork was more advanced and developed the PBFs.
    I also think PBF was still in the learning process of his style where in some fights you could see he was still learning that shoulder roll and was trying out new things as he went long while RJJ fought more freely/freestyle and went with the flow. Where as like I said PBF was figureing out what worked for him and what didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy had better had one punch power, PBF does not. Both have tremendous talent but I still cant rate Floyd that high just yet. Most highly rated champions are rated so highly because the had setbacks but came back to regain titles and showed true champion grit. SRL, SRR, Duran, Ali, Louis, even Roy...and pretty much every other ATG didn't have perfect careers but they had colorful and memorable careers, memorable fights against other true champions. Mayweather has not shown that one element that others have, and that is the ability to overcome a loss. As unfair is, it it his perfect career is too perfect.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    I actually think that RJJ was slightly more developed in the begining, I mean theres fights where you see RJJs speed, footwork was more advanced and developed the PBFs.
    I also think PBF was still in the learning process of his style where in some fights you could see he was still learning that shoulder roll and was trying out new things as he went long while RJJ fought more freely/freestyle and went with the flow. Where as like I said PBF was figureing out what worked for him and what didn't.
    There is never such a case... Go back and watch his first 20 some fights... He had difficulties finding openings, and Roy really didn't come into his own until he fought Toney. Against Hopkins he was really sloppy, earlier on his career he was just throwing haymakers. Mayweather was throwing a better jab, working the body, and showed obviously superior defensive skills. While Jones would load up and take an opponent out with a bomb Mayweather was already breaking down his opponenets. WTF was Pacdog saying about Mayweather not facing worldclass opposition? Is he on crack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen floyd faced some good fighters but he never really tesed himself outside the comfort zone (miguel coto) while castillo is a fine fighter you cannot say he is world class he gets hit far too often and is limited in skill, zab judah a good fighter, not a world beater beater by any stretch, you will se how easily coto beats him. Im not saying floyd isnt a fantastic fighter but im sorry Im not awed when i watched a young Roy Jones, he nhas awesome speed mayweather but he doesnt have that freakish once every 30 or so years type or 1 in a lifetime type speed, sure mayweather is fast and probably one of the best pound for pound fighter today if not the best but to say he is camparable to roy jones is kind of laughable for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are comparable. They are quick handed guys who are hard to hit with great head movement. And that is why a jab can work against these guys. But if I would say who is greater or better I say Roy Jones Jr. He was impressive against Toney and Hill and Hopkins. He made it look too easy. The man's skills are great. He was never in a great fight, but that might be because he didn't have to be. Floyd gets hit more than Roy and does not have the sharpness and power of Roy. Roy would have flattened guys like Castillo and Judah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think roy was more impressive against a very small bit of lesser competition..And that floyd found it easyer to find fights.. Especially to do with the more good fights at super featherweight and lightweight..

I put it down to roy's stubborness that he wouldnt have a promoter ..He had to be his own promoter..
    So he couldnt find early defining fights until he defined himself by bieng as skilled and unorthadox as he is and once he started to get the great performances for everyone to see they couldnt deny him after a certain time..

But floyd had a headstart..

Frankly..If roy had gone with Arum in particular..For me..I think that he would be ten times the legend he is to this day..People underestimate how much a promoter can do for you..
    And roy has had an incredible career..But he could have been bigger then de la hoya and floyd together with a promoter to get him the right fights early on and when he was prime at middle n super mid.

Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito.. CC for you my friend since I think you are right about Roy being more of a legend had he had better promoting. There were not many great fighters fighting in his era when he was moving up and that made it possible for him to be his own promoter and be all powerful. Although he did beat 3 of the top guys in the 90s Bernard Hopkins, Virgil Hill and James Toney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Tito.. CC for you my friend since I think you are right about Roy being more of a legend had he had better promoting. There were not many great fighters fighting in his era when he was moving up and that made it possible for him to be his own promoter and be all powerful. Although he did beat 3 of the top guys in the 90s Bernard Hopkins, Virgil Hill and James Toney.
    Back at you bro..

One thing you do mention there.. Virgil hill.. He is indeed a great fighter..He was recognised as a big name at light heavy when roy and hill got it on..
    But very few fans seem to realise..Alot of the fighters roy fought..Especially at light heavyweight..
    They were good fighters..Title holders the lot..Just not recognised anymore..
    Fighters like hill, Del valle, stylisticly kelly was in for it to fight roy..But he was undefeated when he fought roy, Erik harding has always been a good fighter..Even handed tarver his first loss..
    Mccallum, Johnson , griffin too a good and awkward fighter..

Roy did the best he could and did have good fights.. Even if he wasnt beating the top tier fighters..
    He would have to compensate for it in other ways..

Sugar boymalinga for example.. Good solid fighter..Been in and given some great fighters trouble..
    Eubank for one!

Roy fought the guy and he'd never been stopped..Could really take a lick too..He'd been in with nigel benn and went the distance!..Had a good chin and a better defense..Kinda winky style..
    And roy was the first guy to stop him..So thats an achievement in itself..

Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty even overall.

Speed is similar. Roy had more power and was a more devestating offensive fighter, but Floyd is much sounder technically and has a better defense.
    It would seem that Floyd's focus on technique will help him as he gets older, whereas Roy became very beatable once his skills deteriorated. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    Pretty even overall.

Speed is similar. Roy had more power and was a more devestating offensive fighter, but Floyd is much sounder technically and has a better defense.
    It would seem that Floyd's focus on technique will help him as he gets older, whereas Roy became very beatable once his skills deteriorated. We'll see.
    I read something very interesting the other day..

It said floyd was roy jones with ' technique' and reading into i thought that is a really good discription..

Roy used the same blinding skills in an unorthadox way but had an edge on power..
    But floyd has always had more technique and logic to his boxing..

Its really something interesting to think about when you read into it..
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information