Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: PBF vs. ODLH: The prediction & the outcome.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default PBF vs. ODLH: The prediction & the outcome.

The prediction

In my view, the fight will be overly tactical, unless Oscar can use his size to back up Floyd in which case it could spell big trouble. But If Floyd punishes and frustrates Oscar with quick in-and-out movement, he will prevail. Styles make fights, and the styles here suggest a less than exciting bout. PBF's overall skill-set and career momentum will result in a UD victory.

The Outcome

It was a tactical, non–compelling fight even though the crowd screamed every time Oscar moved. With De La Hoya inexplicitly abandoning his jab at the wrong time and not being able to time THAT hook, he allowed Floyd to dictate the action, particularly going down the stretch. His speed and accuracy resulted in a well-deserved decision, though it should have been a UD as one of the judges (and Jim Lampley) missed it badly. I had it 117-113. Thank God it was not a draw.

As for the excitement factor, when Floyd Mayweather Sr. becomes the story of the night, something is sorely missing.the real excitement was Rey Bautista vs.Sergio Medina in a solid ebb and flow thriller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: PBF vs. ODLH: The prediction & the outcome.

you saw exactly like I saw it man. Baustita Medina was the real action. Thanks for reminding about that fight. I don't feel bad about paying the $55 now. :0)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by belak
    you saw exactly like I saw it man. Baustita Medina was the real action. Thanks for reminding about that fight. I don't feel bad about paying the $55 now. :0)
    amen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FROM S DHIZA, ANOTHER POSTER: ;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Way worse than the JT-Winky coverage, because this time it was all three stooges salivating over Oscars ridiculous flurries where he landed nothing. It was totally shameful, and such a transparent attempt to market a rematch that really has no reason to happen since it was a clear and pretty dominant victory for Floyd.

Some of the most absurd aspects:

1. There was one round toward the middle where Floyd landed about 60% of his punches (really, he did that almost every round, but this one was the highest yet). During this round, while Floyd was basically landing at will and Oscar was doing nothing, Manny Steward keeps saying "but now I think Oscar's turned it around and it's Floyd that's having trouble landing anything." Ridiculous.

2. A couple rounds later, in a round that Floyd outlanded Oscar by a 3-1 ratio, and even threw more than Oscar, Lampley closes the round by saying "it'll be interesting to see how they score that one."

3. The standard Lampley going crazy over ODH punches that didn't even come close to landing. And saying absolutely nothing when Floyd landed flush shots (the only flush shots in the entire fight, mind you).

4. Old Larry Merchant constantly asking (rhetorically), "but Manny, do you think it's a good idea to base your whole fightplan on the other guy getting tired? The fight is happening NOW." As if Floyd wasn't clearly winning "NOW" anyway.

5. Then the most obvious rematch-marketing ploy of them all (other than managing to get that one judge to actually score the fight for Oscar ), they get crazy Floyd Sr. up there AGAIN at the end so he can spew that incomprehensible nonsense about how "if you score it on a point system, you have to give it to Oscar." Floyd outlanded Oscar in almost every single round, out-power punched him in every single round, and landed at more than double Oscar's connect rate -- so explain what that meant. Anyway, they used that interview as a direct segue into the "So, will we get a rematch?" talk.

Huge respect to Max Kellerman for ditching the HBO selling-line and telling it like it is. That was a 117-111 fight without question.

Thread Information