Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What will be the next superfight to rival PBF DLH?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What will be the next superfight to rival PBF DLH?

Now that DLH is nearing the end of his career is there any fight out there that could pull a crowd like his fight against PBF. I cant think of many, but i'll throw this one in.

Wlad v Vitali for the undisputed heavyweight title, may be the only fight out there big enough. Any other ideas?

ICB Guest

Default Re: What will be the next superfight to rival PBF DLH?

Shane Mosley vs Mayweather

Hatton vs Cotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dude the klitschko bros aint fighting each other man get over it!

they dont sell their souls like that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Shane Mosley vs Mayweather

Hatton vs Cotto

Those fights will not sell like DLH v PBF.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    dude the klitschko bros aint fighting each other man get over it!

they dont sell their souls like that!
    I dint say they would fight im just making the observation that there are not many huge fights out there.

El Kabong Guest

Yes there are PLENTY of huge fights out there....not with the celebrity of ODH-PBF but fights that would really draw in fans

Taylor: Abraham, Miranda (both would be GREAT for boxing)

Hopkins-Calzaghe

Cotto-Margarito (a 100% sure to please fight)

Cotto-Hatton (hell Hatton-Castillo will be great)

Wlad-Brewster II will more than likely bring Wlad more fame once he wins....then ANY unification bout will be big

Wlad-Peter II/Vitali-Peter I would be fun to see

Chad Dawson will make noise at 175 fighting whoever is out there

PAC-JMM II would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Yes there are PLENTY of huge fights out there....not with the celebrity of ODH-PBF but fights that would really draw in fans

Taylor: Abraham, Miranda (both would be GREAT for boxing)

Hopkins-Calzaghe

Cotto-Margarito (a 100% sure to please fight)

Cotto-Hatton (hell Hatton-Castillo will be great)

Wlad-Brewster II will more than likely bring Wlad more fame once he wins....then ANY unification bout will be big

Wlad-Peter II/Vitali-Peter I would be fun to see

Chad Dawson will make noise at 175 fighting whoever is out there

PAC-JMM II would be great
    I agree they are all huge fights, but what im trying to say is there a fight out there that would catch the general publics imagination like PBF DLH?

El Kabong Guest

....oh well the celebrity of De la Hoya could sell pretty much anything. Oscar could fight a Ring Card Girl and people would pay to see it.

So basically boxing is stuck waiting for a star as big as Oscar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe vs. Taylor.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bhop vs roy jones jr.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De La Hoya - Hatton?
    Oscar seems to be the only guy in boxing right now that can generate interest among the casual fans and general public.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    De La Hoya - Hatton?
    Oscar seems to be the only guy in boxing right now that can generate interest among the casual fans and general public.
    This fight would not be as big as ODH-Mayweather. Hatton is a big name in England only, and he can't be introduced to those who don't know him as "the #1 P4P fighter in the world" and thus a huge challenge for Oscar. He'd be introduced as a little guy who couldn't handle it at 147 who's now somehow getting a shot at Oscar? Don't see people buying it.

Unfortunately, because it's a totally needless fight, ODH-Tito II would be the biggest selling fight out there. Though ODH-PBF II might come close.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, to look forward at the next superfight, I look back at De la Hoya - Trinidad which did huge numbers and was really the last superfight. Not as big as Floyd - De La Hoya, but it was big. Trinidad had an absolutely massive Puerto Rican following, and he brought the possibly equally as big crowd that wanted to see De La Hoya get knocked out. De La Hoya brought the celebrity crowd and was really the household name.

Now fast forward a bit to today. Mayweather is pretty much a household name, especially in any house that follows sports even in the lightest. He has a lot of celebrities on his bandwagon, and he is not the most liked guy in the business to say the least.

Now fast forward two years from today. Let's say that in the time since, Mayweather has won a rematch with De La Hoya and some other guy for good measure. Definitely a household name, definitely has a band of people who do not like him, and a PPV draw.

Now let's do some more assuming, say that Miguel Cotto has beaten Zab Judah, Paul Williams/Antonio Margarito and let's say, Shane Mosley or someone of his ilk. Maybe Hatton.

Cotto is already a big star in Puerto Rico, he is one of the fastest moving stars in all of boxing. He is being pushed big time by HBO, and possesses scary KO power. In fact, you have to like his chances to KO anybody within his weight range. He's just an explosive puncher.

Sound familiar? The superstar crossover who people love to hate and brings an A list crowd ringside, versus the superstar Puerto Rican who has KO power. That's the one fight that I hope I see.

Aside from that, how about an electrifying American heavyweight? You might know where I am going with this by now, but Aaron Williams is going to shake up the heavyweight division big time and usher in a whole new dimension to the heavyweight scene, athleticism.

Also, Andre Ward will be a marquee guy in a year or so. He's got a HUGE Bay Area following, he's got the baby face and the meanstreak, and America has already loved him once. I can see him having a huge fight in 3 or 4 years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm from SF and I CAN'T STAND Andre Ward. He also has a terrible chin and will get KO'd once he steps up the comp. He went down against Darnell Boone -- not exactly top competition (or even an experienced fighter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton-Mayweather would be every bit as big in the UK (maybe bigger) than Floyd-DLH.

Other than that, I'm prepared to sit back and wait.

When Ali retired, everyone said "Who can ever replace Ali?"
    Then when Tyson fell apart, everyone said "Who can replace Tyson?"
    Then after Tyson-Lewis, everyone said, "There are no megafights left."

Whenever it seems like there are no stars left, someone comes out of nowhere. There have always been big fights in boxing and there always will be. Who will be the fighters of the next megafight? Who knows, that's what's interesting.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    I'm from SF and I CAN'T STAND Andre Ward. He also has a terrible chin and will get KO'd once he steps up the comp. He went down against Darnell Boone -- not exactly top competition (or even an experienced fighter).
    He doesn't have a terrible chin. Did you even see him go down? He got hit on the top of the head, on the temple. Not exactly the chin. Boone is a game guy and probably the best guy he's faced. Boone just beat James Johnson, the highly regarded Floridian fighter.

Besides, he was like 5 fights in. De La Hoya was knocked down a couple times before he reached 15 fights. He didn't turn out so bad. He's a guy in development stages who has improved more then any other prospect in boxing imo. And now he's starting to amp the competition. His last fight was supposed to be against some 20 win vet but he pulled out days before. He's developing very nicely and is completely focused on the goal at task without being to near sighted.

I can not understand how you can hate him. He's one of the most likable guys out there, impossible to root against. And he has looked so much better since the layoff and taking a break from the TV publicity.

And just wondering, what part of SF you from?

Thread Information