Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default making sure you hit your opponent

might sound stupid, but im one of thse fighters who just likes to hit you hard instead of trying to use really good technique. i know lots of people dont like that. I sometims hav etrouble with hitting quicker/ more experienced fighters apar from with my jab. How can i make sure i connect. What ranges etc. Cheers

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: making sure you hit your opponent

for starters I like trying to whack folk hard but it isn't always the best tactic. Make yourself loosen up and forget going for power all the time. Practice throwing with speed and move your feet after every punch, even if that means relying on your jab till you get more comfortable with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pit_bull
    might sound stupid, but im one of thse fighters who just likes to hit you hard instead of trying to use really good technique. i know lots of people dont like that. I sometims hav etrouble with hitting quicker/ more experienced fighters apar from with my jab. How can i make sure i connect. What ranges etc. Cheers
    if you hit harder than a guy who's a better boxer than you, you should hit him hard,. you box a fighter and fight a boxer. Cut off the ring.... get him into the corner, and work him inside. If a guy is stringer than you AND a better boxer, take a dive. There are guys at my gym who are far better and more experienced than me, but I hit harder and I'm stronger, so I do exactly as I said. In the corner is the only place it'll even out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing i always think of when i throw a punch is..

Dont punch at his head, punch through his head..

Depends how you throw and its about the comitment to the punch..

If your throwing it at him..Its not gona hit..

It will if you punch through his head..You gotta be the right distance etc..
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is something that i often do to...mess with my opponents head.
    It had been pulled on me once before but i wasnt quite sure what had been done.
    If youre good enough, lessen the distance of your punches (BUT I WILL WARN YOU, YOU MUST BE GOOD TO DO THIS)...its kind of a literal sense of "pulling" your punches, because you arent fully extended.
    This does two things.
    1. Its lowers the power in your shots
    2. It gives your opponent a fucked up sense of your distance

So..what can you do with this?
    Say...pull this move off for...1 round. 2nd round...about halfway through, if he has your farce distance and his own rythm, start to REALLY let go, extend you arm properly, punch "through" your target and not only will you hit him a couple of really good shots before he has figured out whats goin on but itll fuck up his rythm for the rest of the fight.

Why am i telling you this?
    Oft or not, most people will do this "technique"...i would prefer trickery...when they have little to no experience (i would know, thats how i was caught) or technique. Many fighters will focus so much on releasing and drawing back their punch that it never reaches its full extension.

Not really sure if thatll help.

But yeah...hitting your opponent will help you win fights too.......? i dunno :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hitting hard isn't always different from hitting fast. Sometimes when you concentrate on hitting hard you tense up and your punch is not as hard as it would have been.

No harm in keeping to a simple plan that works for you but I wouldn't want to get stuck thinking that it's the only way you can fight because the rest will come with time. You don't have to look tricky to be tricky.

There is a guy in my gym who likes to try to imitate Ali's footwork and yell out "I am the greatest" all the time. He's not well liked because he's showy without anything to back it up. He's always saying how great he would be if he fought and how much he wants to fight but whenever the coaches find he a match he backs out. He's always a bad sport if he has to spar a more experienced guy and finds it difficult too.

The guy in the gym who is technically the best at the moment is not showy at all and he really just likes to hit hard like you - but he's developed good skills anyway. My point is you don't have to classify yourself as one or the other. If you do you might be underestimating yourself.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont worry about hitting hard.. Forget that and remember to hit and not be hit for me
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the amateurs the most important thing is touching that opponent with the scoring portion of the glove as fast and often as possible.

Pro’s is a bit different , you have more rounds, more time to get the dividends of the power punch paid off.

Thread Information