0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top five reasons why boxing will always be better than MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Quote Originally Posted by EastonAssassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog
    will MMA ever have a Hagler-Hearns or Castillo-Corrales?

probably not
    try watching the first Forrest Griffith- Stephon Bonnar fight, they went toe to toe for 5 rounds.  very good fight. 
    Comparing that to Hagler Hearns or Corrales Castillo is blasphemy. The level of talent incorporated in that bar fight isn't in the same realm of sport. It was an entertaining fight though.
    There's far more skill on display in an MMA fight involving Cung Lee, Royce Gracie, Sakuraba or Randy Coutoure than there is in 90% of boxing fights.

Plenty of bar room brawlers in MMA no doubt, but their are skilled artisans of the sport as well. I'd personally say a guy like Cung Lee is more skilled than any boxer, even Mayweather. It's amazing the moves he's capable of pulling off, just youtube him and see for yourself.

Here's a sample clip of him fighting a demonstration fight. Show me any boxer whose more skilful than this 

[youtube=425,350]3r55mxK2xKc[/youtube]
    I'm sure i'd look skilled too if i payed some guy to just punch/kick towards where i'm already blocking and to never try and counter me :P. Nothing big has happened in UFC for several months now so why is this even back up? I have no new things to bash . But seriously bilbo that kick the white guy trys at 1:15 left in the video is just plan hilarious.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NotGuilty136

probably not
    try watching the first Forrest Griffith- Stephon Bonnar fight, they went toe to toe for 5 rounds. very good fight.
    Comparing that to Hagler Hearns or Corrales Castillo is blasphemy. The level of talent incorporated in that bar fight isn't in the same realm of sport. It was an entertaining fight though.
    There's far more skill on display in an MMA fight involving Cung Lee, Royce Gracie, Sakuraba or Randy Coutoure than there is in 90% of boxing fights.

Plenty of bar room brawlers in MMA no doubt, but their are skilled artisans of the sport as well. I'd personally say a guy like Cung Lee is more skilled than any boxer, even Mayweather. It's amazing the moves he's capable of pulling off, just youtube him and see for yourself.

Here's a sample clip of him fighting a demonstration fight. Show me any boxer whose more skilful than this

I'm sure i'd look skilled too if i payed some guy to just punch/kick towards where i'm already blocking and to never try and counter me :P. Nothing big has happened in UFC for several months now so why is this even back up? I have no new things to bash . But seriously bilbo that kick the white guy trys at 1:15 left in the video is just plan hilarious.
    I never said the white guy was skilful :P

Besides I've watched several Cung Lee fights and he displays tremendous skill in real fights as well. He's as acomplished an athlete as anyone in boxing. I'm not for a minute saying that MMA as a whole is anywhere near his level, it's not but it's growing fast and gaining popularity and as is continues to do so the skill set will improve further.

You don't have to be a fan, but there's no reason to be a hater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NotGuilty136

probably not
    try watching the first Forrest Griffith- Stephon Bonnar fight, they went toe to toe for 5 rounds. very good fight.

I never said the white guy was skilful :P

Besides I've watched several Cung Lee fights and he displays tremendous skill in real fights as well. He's as acomplished an athlete as anyone in boxing. I'm not for a minute saying that MMA as a whole is anywhere near his level, it's not but it's growing fast and gaining popularity and as is continues to do so the skill set will improve further.

You don't have to be a fan, but there's no reason to be a hater.

I have a friend who's into this mma stuff now (i dunno if he's pro yet but he will be eventually). He shows us things he learned and gives some tips. I'm not buying into this "the sport will continue to improve as a whole". You guys seem to have the idea that eventually all mma fighters will be refined and dominant in everything they do from stand-up to ground stuff, complete masters in everything. There's gonna be a cut off point from which it'll be humanly impossible to be better (aside from the truely gifted athletes which are rare in every sport and don't show up that often) and IMO it is very near that mark with the UFC. I mean they incorporate everything now and you're not gonna get a master everything guy in there ever (some may come close).

You can only master a single discipline so much. A majority of boxers aren't very good and they've been doing it for a long time. You can't just master anything. Those who become good in most aspects will dominate the sport but they're not unbeatable. Those who really excell in one aspect but have a weak point may get some huge victories but their weakness will be exposed down the road at some point. There will never be a guy in mma that's 100% on top of everything. It will never happen in anybody's lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Shaw
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaking
    For me it will always be the characters involved in boxing. Many of the big name fighters have an Idendity that a lot of people who arent even boxing fans are even aware of

Tyson
    Leonard
    De La Hoya
    Holyfield
    Duran

so on and so on.......

when you get two recognizable names in the ring, and people know there reputations there is nothing better in the world.
    Exactly, the hype around Mayweather-De La Hoya type fights will always be more important than Rampage Jackson-Chuck Lidell and other big MMA bouts.
    see thats your opinion for me i would rather see chuck and Tito fight or jackson and cro cop then mayweather-de la hoya but dont get me wrong i loved that fight and i paid to watch it but i liked alot of the ufc fights better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the point of this controversy....i happen to be a huge boxing fan but i'm okay with mma, i don't watch it but see why some do....but it's too totaly different sports, people always want to say put this boxer in mma and he'll get beat or visa versa and that's true. A boxer would beat a mma guy in the ring and a mma fighter would beat a boxer in the cage, but the bigger question is who cares I can take tom brady out of football and throw him in an futbol or rugby arena and he wouldn't last and again i ask who cares.....as long as no one get's pregnet from all the man on man floor action the mma will strive get bigger and eventually top out. Mma is run better and is new and more power to them and thier fans.......(just playin about the pregnet thing we know that would never happen right ).
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    I don't see the point of this controversy....i happen to be a huge boxing fan but i'm okay with mma, i don't watch it but see why some do....but it's too totaly different sports, people always want to say put this boxer in mma and he'll get beat or visa versa and that's true. A boxer would beat a mma guy in the ring and a mma fighter would beat a boxer in the cage, but the bigger question is who cares I can take tom brady out of football and throw him in an futbol or rugby arena and he wouldn't last and again i ask who cares.....as long as no one get's pregnet from all the man on man floor action the mma will strive get bigger and eventually top out. Mma is run better and is new and more power to them and thier fans.......(just playin about the pregnet thing we know that would never happen right ).
    i totally agree. just seems boxing fans go out of their way to criticize MMA and it makes them seem like idiots. boxing has to share that males between 18-35 demographic it once dominated and instead of pointing the finger at the "powers that be" who control it, they put down MMA. i like MMA because the best fights the best, there is no hiding behind contract negotiations or ducking behind excuses. it's not for everyonebut then again, what sport is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

here is my critique of ufc. I see no skill other than the grapplers. the sport is basically this. punch until someone loses their balance and falls. Then jump on him and pound him in the head until the ref stops it. what kind of skill is this?

you want to see martial arts. try a thai boxing match or a jiu jitsu match. that is skill.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

El Kabong Guest

The problem for MMA is this, in boxing alone it is hard to be "well rounded" being equally skilled in the nuances. And subtleties of defense and attack is extremely difficult, in MMA the goal is to be well rounded in all martial arts but THAT is impossible and you end up with guys that are halfway good at a few things and IMO that's not as impressive to me as a top tier boxer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I appreciate the spirt of the thread, even if it remains unnecessary to compare the sports. They are in fact two wildly different animals.

Im a boxing fan first, but I'll watch MMA if boxing isn't on. And MMA seems to be on an awful lot more than boxing.

We are talking about a sport where all the athletes, for the most part, are dedicated to thier craft and good at what they do. Is boxing better than soccer? Is MMA better than volleyball? There's just no clear comparisons to be made.

They are what they are.

If i have a gripe about MMA, it's that im never completely satisfied that the guy who won is necessarily the better fighter. Maybe he got tagged with 4 oz gloves cold and early. Maybe he didn't have a ground game but would have won in a slugfest. Sometimes the fights are over before they even get started. It's just apples and oranges.

If a boxer gets his ass handed to him over ten rounds and ends up losing 120-108 I have no questions. He had it coming. He earned it. He lost.

I never get that same satisfaction in so many of the super quick conclusions to mma fights. It's fun though. Different and violent and bloody, and thats what the generations have evolved into wanting.
    Hey, yo Tommy, I didn't hear no bell.
    Rocky Balboa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do the same as balboa, I will watch mma...if boxing is not on. i have learned to appreciate the skill of the grapplers. wether it be the bjj guys or the wrestlers.

by the way the term ground and pound sounds extremely gay
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

El Kabong Guest

If I watch MMA #1 I tend to focus on how the fighters punch and defend against punches and #2 I can respect other martial arts when done well, ie when GSP or Machida fight they usually stick to a game plan that works to their advantage and I'm ok with that as I expect boxers to try and do the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i would better watch 2 Great BOXERS boxing, 2 Great WRESTLERS wrestling, than a good Boxer Knocking out the Wrestler or the Wrestler taking down the Boxer. I like to see 2 masters of one martial art fighting each other

Thread Information