Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is it okay to put cotton hand wraps in the washing machine?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is it okay to put cotton hand wraps in the washing machine?

Or will they shrink to the point of unusability? Maybe i should just get the adhesive hand wraps huh?..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it okay to put cotton hand wraps in the washing machine?

I always wash mine in the washing machine but I do have a bout 6 pairs and rotate them.

I always buy a new pair if I travel anywhere and I find they have a different type.

At ten dollars a pair I can't say I've noticed whether or not they are a little worse for wair after washing.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loosely roll them up Velcro em and stuff them in a sock and wash .. keeps them from getting all knotted up. Nothing more frustrating then dealing with a tangled wad of hand wrap…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    I loosely roll them up Velcro em and stuff them in a sock and wash .. keeps them from getting all knotted up. Nothing more frustrating then dealing with a tangled wad of hand wrap…
    just the little tip and trick i was looking for. graci.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mum even irons mine after they come out of the wash Nothing better that wrapping with a pair of freshly washed and ironed wraps.
    I wonder if my mum did something like the sock trick to stop them knotting?

But to answer the question, nuh the wraps don't shrink at all, or at least what i've noticed.. I have the mexican stretchy ones, and just some normal thick cotton ones that are stretchy and both have gone through the wash at least 10 times and I havn't noticed any difference at all. Even if they did shrink a LITTTTLE bit, wrapping them around your hands will stretch them out again.

Obviously like any fabric, years or wear & washing will eventually thin out the fabric a little, but that's over a lot of years i'm guessing as i've never had any get even close to the point where i've thought of throwing them out because they're worn out.

** The only way I can imagine them shrinking in the washing process, and this is because my girlfriend is ALWAYS complaining about her clothes shrinking, is by grabbing them wet out of a cold water wash, and putting them straight into a hot drier... Even still I don't think it's going to have much affect on your wraps... So I guess it a unanimous..

Washing wraps is fine..

On a second question though....

Does everyone always roll their wraps back up between uses, or are you lazy like me and most of the time just throw them messily into a draw?
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm lazy and I leave them unrolled - but I only wash them once a week too so if they were rolled up they'd stay wet and smelly!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lords good idea cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I'm lazy and I leave them unrolled - but I only wash them once a week too so if they were rolled up they'd stay wet and smelly!
    That's true. You would want to make sure they are dry before putting them away rolled up or they certainly would get smelly. and maybe even mouldy if they were wet and left long enough without much air..

I only wash mine every few months. Unless I have a few really hard workouts on the bag where I sweat a lot. Most of the time I just wear gloves without the wraps as I havn't been using the heavy bag or anything like that we're i've needed the wraps on....
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

only thing to happen is the elastic will wear out especially if you wash them on a high temp. I wash them when they begin to smell, the material hold memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha, if I dont wash mine my dog snatches em. Along with my shoes. Freakin dog.

Thread Information