Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Got a question about learning pace.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Got a question about learning pace.

Today was my second day boxing. My routine was, jump rope, hit the focus mitts, hit the heavy bag, and attempt to hit the speed bag, -_-' (still trying to get that 1,2,3, rhythm down..) and running.

Well i dont want to come off as if im rushing into anything, Cus i know you gotta take it slow, and go with the flow. But i was just wondering if the trainer should be nitpicking on my technique. I have got some critique for my jab and cross, such as keeping my hands in the correct position, twist of the hips with the punch, rhythm etc. But i have not gotten any textbook instruction if you know what i mean. Like step by step instruction. For example today i was throwing combinations at the focus mitt, and i ended with a left hook (ima lefty). but i noticed i didnt get any feedback on my hook. Such as, correct foot pivoting, correct elbow angle, the hip twists, stuff like that. Im pretty sure im not using 100% correct technique. Now my question is, Do i have to ask for my trainer to critique my technique? And should i ask him to teach me how to throw jabs, crosses and hooks properly? Im only asking because i dont want to develop bad habits early on.

well if you guys have experiences/logs about your first couple days learning it'd be cool too. So i'd have something to compare and contrast my own training to. Such as what drills you did, exercises, techniques learned..etc.

btw, Is my daily routine sufficient at this point? thanks alot dudes. And i really apologize for coming off as a apprehensive noob. For im sure all the things i mentioned should come in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Got a question about learning pace.

Sounds to me that you havn't been there long enough i dont mean that in a bad way its just that lots of people come in for a few days..and then just quit! so they're pretty much just wastign their time! Who wants to use their time teaching step by step instructions to someone that probably won't come back the next day? My advice to you would be to just keep going and going there to show that you really do want to box and that your committed to the sport. if you keep going you'll eventually get some good attention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If your in a Gym with more then a few fighters,its going to take you awhile to get personal attention.
    Look at it from a trainers point of view,you have guys coming in off the street all the time.If you give every single one,your attention,your going to be sapping your time that you could be spending with guys that you know are serious.Then the guy who came off the street quits after one hard punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup, exactly the situation with the gym I go to. We get many kids and adults who come in to try it out. Some come for 2 days, some for a week or two, and then disappear. Most dont want to put in the effort. Southpawed, just keep at it and let the trainers see that youre dedicated.

My first days at the gym were the end of last June, and being a student, Im sure I was expected to just stick around for a week as well. First few days trainers had me doing jab drills, some basic combos on mitts, double end bag, and footwork. They didnt comment on my form yet, but were trying to see if Id come back after they worked me. Yeah, ask for feedback, not just from the trainers, but from the more experienced fighters. Some of the best tips I got on throwing proper hooks and body shots were from the other fighters. Lets them know you want to improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most trainers just don't care. Paint it however you like but if a fellow comes into a gym and paid good money to do it he wants to learn how to box not just dick around on the floor. If a trainer doesn't pick up on that then he is either too lazy or just doesn't care about you. The end result is a very disorganized gym that is more like a hangout spot than it is anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    Most trainers just don't care. Paint it however you like but if a fellow comes into a gym and paid good money to do it he wants to learn how to box not just dick around on the floor. If a trainer doesn't pick up on that then he is either too lazy or just doesn't care about you. The end result is a very disorganized gym that is more like a hangout spot than it is anything else.
    Sorry thats not how I run this gym
    Mind you,I hand pick every fighter in it
    I dont want to be a famous gym,I want to produce famous boxers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's so frustrating learning bad habits and then having to correct them later. I've trained in about 6 different gyms and had more than that number of coaches. What is correct technique and the correct order in which to learn things seems to vary a lot from coach to coach.

That's the hard thing about boxing - there's not one scientifically proven, up to date way of doing things like there is for many other sports like swimming. Go from one gym to another and you'll hear all about how your latest gym is the best in the world and all your other trainers didn't know s**t! It's not necessarily true but no one will tell you to go back to your last trainer coz he/she knew better!

I'd just make the most of all sources you can get hold of for training tips and ideas and you'll find a lot will come from trial and error.

BTW i think if you're left handed and you're throwing a left hook that might be considered sort of wrong by some. At least it wouldn't usually considered part of the basics. Right handed people usually throw more left hooks and left handed people usually throw more right hooks I think. In my gym they make us study just footwork and then just footwork with straight punches a lot before moving on.

Maybe ask your coaches opinion on those things. I like a coach who likes Qs. Often there will be something small confusing me about something I'm doing which can be clarified quickly with a coach who allows Qs. I don't work well with coaches who are verbally abusive and don't allow Qs but that's just me. I figure I will train hard and I will respect the coach but will just be constantly thinking about how much of an Ahole h/she is if they have to be insulting to teach me anything.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thomas, you make a very good point I agree
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman19
    Yup, exactly the situation with the gym I go to. We get many kids and adults who come in to try it out. Some come for 2 days, some for a week or two, and then disappear. Most dont want to put in the effort. Southpawed, just keep at it and let the trainers see that youre dedicated.
    haha. dude thats a big problem with me. I hate confrontation. I have school 4 outa five days. And they both butt into the boxing schedule. I cant really make it on tuesdays and thursdays. I want to tell the coaches but i dont want to sounds like im trying to cut days off of practice cus im really not! I really want to practice everyday. So should i just tell em i cant go in on tuesdays and thursdays and risk sounding like im making an excuse? or should i just ditch class early and go box?! damn im in a dilemma!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tell them. A reasonable coach will understand and appreciate you letting them know what's going on.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes just be up front with em.... Sharla is right good trainers realize you have priorities before you can go have fun at the gym.

Thread Information