Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New topic: TRAINER (Eddie Futch) VS TRAINER (Ray Arcel)

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default New topic: TRAINER (Eddie Futch) VS TRAINER (Ray Arcel)

OK fellas here's what I'm gonna do, I am going to pit 2 trainers against each other in every weight class I can with their best fighters.....maybe this will continue, maybe it won't. Anywho this should settle once and for all who the better trainers are/were.

1st up, all time greats

EDDIE FUTCH VS RAY ARCEL

Heavyweight: 'Smokin' Joe Frazier - Larry Holmes (he was actually trained by both)

Lightheavyweight: Bob Foster - Ezzard Charles

Welterweight: Don 'Geronimo' Jordan - Barney Ross

Lightweight: Alexis 'El Flaco Explosivo' Arguello - Roberto 'Manos de Piedro' Duran

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New topic: TRAINER VS TRAINER

Cool thread idea, CC

My take on it...

EDDIE FUTCH VS RAY ARCEL

Heavyweight: 'Smokin' Joe Frazier - Larry Holmes (he was actually trained by both)

Larry Holmes (1-0 Arcel)

Lightheavyweight: Bob Foster - Ezzard Charles

Ezzard Charles (2-0 Arcel)

Welterweight: Don 'Geronimo' Jordan - Barney Ross

Ross (3-0 Arcel)

Lightweight: Alexis 'El Flaco Explosivo' Arguello - Roberto 'Manos de Piedro' Duran

Duran (4-0 Arcel)

Hahaha shit, obviously a lot of people are gonna disagree with me on more than 1 of those. I have no bias for either trainer, but for me it definately worked in Arcel's favor. Not saying he was the better trainer, but thats how I see these particular matchups.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: New topic: TRAINER VS TRAINER

It was actually hard to find trainers that had fighters in many weight classes....I was going to do Futch vs D'Amato or Dundee but maybe another time.

Prime Frazier vs Prime Holmes....I don't think it would be so easy for Larry

Bob Foster is one of the best lightheavies EVER

Ross is an easy pick.....Duran over Arguello......that's a toughy for me and I like Duran a lot but Arguello was damn good!

I just hope people like this enough so I might do another one

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: New topic: TRAINER (Eddie Futch) VS TRAINER (Ray Arcel)

....anyone up for debate on this one

Frazier-Holmes.....Larry didn't like the pressure although he disposed easily with Marvis Frazier, I think Smokin Joe would be a different story and stop Larry late or pound out a decision.

Bob Foster wouldn't dominate Ezzard Charles but he'd beat him. Bob had good power for a light heavy and he was a skilled boxer too.

Barney Ross was a great fighter and there's nothing Jordan could have done to him to beat him.

Duran-Arguello....this is the toughest match on here. Arguello had the size and the power to hang with Duran but I think Duran was such a badass he'd take what AA had and give it right back to him!

That means on the whole this is all tied up at 2-2

So I will throw in an extra fight.....

Riddick 'Big Daddy' Bowe-Jim 'The Cinderella Man' Braddock

So that gives Eddie Futch the edge, IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to really compare 2 trainers but like the idea, but I'm gonna have to get back w/ you tomorrow. Here's some other names for you, Jack Blackburn (Joe Louis's trainer), Charlie Goldman (Rocky Marciano's trainer), Whitney Bimstein, Al Silvani (Arguello, Graziano, Lamotta's trainer), and there are a lot of other good trainers. You could compare them on their corner advice, experience, observation, cut man, etc... Some idea's besides putting their stables of champs head to head which is different story.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO Futch was the greatest trainer of all time...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    IMO Futch was the greatest trainer of all time...
    I agree with that as he was a trainer able to give Ali fits! Eddie trained Joe Frazier but also Ken Norton, Larry Holmes, and Trevor Berbick.....4 of the five men who beat Ali!

And Futch disciples have really left their mark on the sport too....Manny Steward, Freddy Roach, Thell Torrence, and many more....great trainers

Thread Information