Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  13

Poll: Who wins this hypothetical match?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Marciano vs James Toney

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs James Toney

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    i'm actually going with toney by UD on this one.
    I could easily see that happening. If he came into the fight in shape like he was when he was at Cruiser or the holyfield fight, he could beat the rock. The Toney that came to fight against Rahman gets beat IMO.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a cruiser toney is the one i had in mind because then the weights even about the same.

El Kabong Guest

Why are these marciano fights so hard to pick?
    SIMPLE, because no one ever beat the guy

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Ok, but who's the best fighter he beat? And were they anywhere near what they once were... The Toney that beat Holyfield at HW would have schooled Marciano, no doubt in my mind. Rocky just didn't have enough talent to fight on the same level as James. It's easy to get caught up with Marciano's reputation or status all time, but be honest with yourself... Go home and watch Marcianos best performances, any fights you like, then do the same with Toney... There's no way Rocky could have beaten him if you ask me. I wouldn't expect him to get KOed but he certainly would get a boxing lesson big time.

El Kabong Guest

Rocky fought guys a lot better than Montel Griffin, Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, Sam Peter, and Drake Thazdi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Ok, but who's the best fighter he beat? And were they anywhere near what they once were... The Toney that beat Holyfield at HW would have schooled Marciano, no doubt in my mind. Rocky just didn't have enough talent to fight on the same level as James. It's easy to get caught up with Marciano's reputation or status all time, but be honest with yourself... Go home and watch Marcianos best performances, any fights you like, then do the same with Toney... There's no way Rocky could have beaten him if you ask me. I wouldn't expect him to get KOed but he certainly would get a boxing lesson big time.
    I imagine that you simply see Rocky as a crude over rated brawler. Now Rocky may not pretty, but he had more skills than mostpeople give him credit for, he could set up traps, counter, and feint. He was also unorthodox which has both helped him and led him into opponents traps as seen in his bout with Archie Moore.

I like James Toney's style, his techniques and movement is all to be desired. In regards to Rocky's opponents they weren't push overs. How many guys can you name that can feint and set up traps better than Walcott? How many people are more cagey and have a bag of tricks as big as Moore or Charles. These are the names that Hopkins has mentioned many times before, all were good fighters.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But lets not get carried away with Marcianos record.... You could insert any of these fighters in the list below that could gone unbeaten in Marcianos era

Ali
    Larry Holmes
    Mike tyson
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Riddick Bowe
    Evander Holyfield

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    But lets not get carried away with Marcianos record.... You could insert any of these fighters in the list below that could gone unbeaten in Marcianos era

Ali
    Larry Holmes
    Mike tyson
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Riddick Bowe
    Evander Holyfield
    Agreed completely with that list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

do these guys look like they actually would land on even toney in his first top 10 pro matches?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never saw this thread so ya'll know I gotta reply.

James Toney would be a fucking nightmare for Marciano with his angles and counter punching. Marciano struggled badly with Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore like that. And Toney hit atleast as hard as them. And Moore put Rocky down for a 2 count.

But As low as James would get, I think Marciano would get even lower. And would really destroy him to the body.

Marciano took many many rounds to wear people down. For example, he took 9 rounds to knock out Archie. Moore ....and he went 15 rounds in the first Ezzard Charles fight and he also went 13 rounds to get Jersey. Joe Walcott and then 9 rounds to get Don Cockell.

So he ain't taking out Lights Out early.

But he ain't gettin taken out either. No how.

jj Walcott hit harder than Toney and floored Rock bad and had him rockin and reelin several t times BUT.......

.....BUT......

couldn't finish off The Brockton Blockbuster and NIETHER WOULD TONEY.

TREMENDOUS FUCKING FIGHT

son of a bitch......🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Marciano by UD if 12 rounds

Marciano by stoppage un 14 if 15. Rounds

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney was sane.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sophistication of Walcott and the monster determination of Marciano would overcome the naivete of Toney

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Imagine forcing your opinion on others as if it is objective fact and if they don't agree feeling so needy inside as you feel so needy that you then have to get angry and lash out. How did you get to this low point emotionally and psychiatrically?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Imagine forcing your opinion on others as if it is objective fact and if they don't agree feeling so needy inside as you feel so needy that you then have to get angry and lash out. How did you get to this low point emotionally and psychiatrically?
    Toney in his 14th Match way more advanced than anybody even at that point than anybody rock fought,if you cant clearly see how much more advanced these guys were you're vision is horrible and you don't understand boxing and nothing you say matters idiot

jersey was the most advanced person on video rock fought and i bet the whole era.cause no one had the tech they had in the era Toney fought in

Does rock or Jersey look even close to as advanced as Toney in that 14th match or the other guy? See how you exposed yourself, crazy idiot. Both rock and jersey look horrible, making multiple flaws and tech obsolete.
    ​
    and this match was Rocks 37 fight, it was 38 for Jersey,shouldnt they have been way more advanced than Toney and the other guy in Toney 14th match?, or the other guy had only 8 matches why was he way more advanced than anybody in rocks era to see how it doesn't make any sense? saying Rock wins when no video shows he could not only land enough but win?​

Toney even in that 14th match form would run through rock and rock would never land its very easy to see how horrible rocks era were compared they look trash, and this was prime rock

Again but this time Toney was even way more advanced than his 14th match I posted this was ton very early matches at LHW which was what Rock was, and still both these guys were way more advanced than the whole novice-like era I posted, rock fought in which anybody with any sense and good vision can clearly see Ton and this guy would destroy rock and his whole era exsposed yourself

Get you're vision checked lunatic
    Last edited by joe smith; 02-05-2024 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I imagine that you simply see Rocky as a crude over rated brawler. Now Rocky may not pretty, but he had more skills than mostpeople give him credit for, he could set up traps, counter, and feint. He was also unorthodox which has both helped him and led him into opponents traps as seen in his bout with Archie Moore.

I like James Toney's style, his techniques and movement is all to be desired. In regards to Rocky's opponents they weren't push overs. How many guys can you name that can feint and set up traps better than Walcott? How many people are more cagey and have a bag of tricks as big as Moore or Charles. These are the names that Hopkins has mentioned many times before, all were good fighters.
    drake way more advanced than the whole era of rock they look like novices compared

Thread Information