Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Shell/Crab Method

I'm 6'4" and 170 lbs with a really good reach. When I've been boxing recently, people tell me that I don't cover up well and that I should switch from using a traditional guard to a "crab style" defense. Can anyone help outline the basic ideas and the stance of a crab-style fighter? Also, how should workouts change so that I get better at fighting this way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Shell/Crab Method

I like to bump my opponent in close from this stance. then take a swift step back to get a bit of range, set n fire catch him falling into the shot. Using his resistance to the pressure against him .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks. Also, is this style good for lanky fighters? Is there a better style that I can use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"crab style" defense

Is this another name for the shell defense that floyd uses?
    Doesnt sound like it...

Lords Gym can you describe the stance for me, also what fighter use it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The two famous guys that come to mind are Archie Moore and Ken Norton. They both used the crab style of defense. Get ahold of some videos of their fights and you can see how they used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just so were on the same page are you talking about holding your arms horizontally in front of your body as opposed to holding your arms vertically with your gloves protecting the sides of your head?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never heard of it. I've heard of the cross-arms defense, and the peek-a-boo stance. Archie Moore Didn't fight in one set stance, it'd depend on what was happening and what he was trying to do. He may fight with a low left lead, cross-arm, or orthodox.

What was your stance prior? How are you getting hit?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The key is to hunch up your shoulders so as to attach your head to your body. Makes your head sturdy and covers you up more. for orthodox take your right arm and bring it up across the face so that the forearm is coming across your nose and your right shoulder and tricep is blocking your right ear/cheek. With the same arm make it so that your glove is faced up to cover as much of the left side of the face as possible. The palm will face outward. With the left arm put it across your body so that the forearm comes across the belly over the solar plexus. Your left kidney and liver will be exposed as your arm will not be able to wrap all around the body that far so you will have to either alternate from blocking right hands to your left kidney with your elbow or left hooks to the body with your glove. The final touch is to slighty bend the body forward so that you are not straight up in the air. It makes you less of a target. Remember that though you are covered up well you will still want to roll with punches.

Notice that your arms are committed to blocking and aren't in a position to punch. Also note that from this stance your right temple is exposed and can be blocked by raising up your tricep/elbow over the temple but that this motion will expose the bottom part of your face. Your body's ability to move is also hindered as the stance makes you very stationary. Though you seem very protected there are areas on you that are still exposed (your arms can't block everything) and that to defend that exposed area is to leave open another area. Thats the big problem when you have an alternating guard. It makes you leaky.

I'm not a big fan of this stance. I'll do it sometimes upon miss a right hand but other than that I personally don't like it. That crab style is pure defense and to my mind a pretty leaky one at that.

ICB Guest

Heres footage of a prime Tim Witherspoon he does crab style defense great

Larry Holmes -vs- Tim Witherspon 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhDOczA57r0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_dude
    "crab style" defense

Is this another name for the shell defense that floyd uses?
    Doesnt sound like it...

Lords Gym can you describe the stance for me, also what fighter use it?
    Several fighters use it or variations of it crab defense, Philly crab, the shell defense its also called. . Joe Frazier , Rocky Marciano , George Foreman , Bert Cooper is a good example, Archie Moorer , David Tua, Ray Mercer, James Toney with the added shoulder roll, I saw Oscar do it last week a few times. countless others. Your covering up with the arms in front in a crossing position . usually with the right hand up horizontal by the ear protecting from the left hook and can also be moved quickly to parry the on coming jab. Your left hand across the torso.

During a match you will interchange according to where your positioned and what’s coming at you.

I like to slip shots and shoot the left hook out of this position . cracking results.

If you’re a taller especially lanker type fighter you might want to use your range rather then allow a fighter to get in close enough to you where the crab defense comes into play. More suited to the shorter big boned aggressive attacking fighter. A good position to counter from. I love it , yet dont always stay 100% true to it . I use a variations of it, making adjustments as needed . . .

Some guys don’t like it.. Everyone has a comfort zone. What feels good to them .

I hope this answers your question mate , I am not real good on the explanations. . :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To Chris N's questions, "What was your stance prior? How are you getting hit?," I'm very new to boxing, and I've managed to use my jab pretty effectively to keep everyone away because I'm usually taller; however, when the other guy manages to get inside the jab I've been getting hit pretty hard to the body.

Basically, I'm looking for something to cover my body primarily, then as much of my head as possible until I can get back to jabbing range. If anyone has a better idea of how I should defend myself that'd be great.

Thanks for the help folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hey man, loads of ppl use this style of defense. one tip, block the the wigth with right glove (parry) meanwhile ur left hand is low making a cross like guard.
    watch tua v ike ibeabuchi on youtube to learn how to do it.

George foreman used it when he returned to the ring. watch his fights against holyfield. it is good for anyfighter, foreman and holyfield used it good. but be careful, u can get outboxed using it cos ur too busy covering up.

my point is that u can use it if foreman used it. i think foreman is also 6'4. btw u also blocked right handers with ur right hand, jus watch the tua fight, he catches straight lefts and rights with his right glove or jus covers up in a shell. i hope i helped

Thread Information