Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can we have any faith in judges anymore!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How can we have any faith in judges anymore!!!

...When 2 judges scoring the same fight have different fighters winning by 9 rounds to 3

I know a lot of judging is about interpretation of styles etc, but this makes an absolute joke of the sport, when so called expert judges see virtually every round to a different fighter
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can we have any faith in judges anymore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    ...When 2 judges scoring the same fight have different fighters winning by 9 rounds to 3

I know a lot of judging is about interpretation of styles etc, but this makes an absolute joke of the sport, when so called expert judges see virtually every round to a different fighter
    I agree...

I will tell you this; I have not listened to a judges decision in years. If they're right then fine but do I allow it to sway the way I think... no. I interpret the fights how I interpret them. I always hope the judges get it right... About 90 % of the time they do.

Some fighters get screwed and the records get messed with due to fighting favorites. I hate that shit!

One of the ones that comes to mind is ODLH Sturm... Sturm won that fight fairly easily imo.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF BOSTON"

I agree...

I will tell you this; I have not listened to a judges decision in years. If they're right then fine but do I allow it to sway the way I think... no. I interpret the fights how I interpret them. I always hope the judges get it right... About 90 % of the time they do.

Some fighters get screwed and the records get messed with due to fighting favorites. I hate that S***!

One of the ones that comes to mind is ODLH Sturm... Sturm won that fight fairly easily imo.
    CC mate - you know I still aint seen the DLH Sturm fight. Have to give El Gamo a shout
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

SigmaMu Guest

I agree...

Some fighters get screwed and the records get messed with due to fighting favorites. I hate that S***!

CC mate - you know I still aint seen the DLH Sturm fight. Have to give El Gamo a shout
    Don't waste your time it was a terrible fight.
    Strum jabbed Oscar all night long. Round 1 thru round 12 it was the same damn thing. I can't believe they gave that fight to Oscar. Again don't waste your time watching it unless you don't like Oscar De La Hoya but you will be angry in the end wether you are a fan of his or hate him. lol

ICB Guest

I had a look for you Big H all links are dead

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed. The judging in too many of the big fights recently has been way off. There needs to be some form of accountablility IMO. Judging should be a deadly serious job, and to have such discrepancies surely indicates that people are not seeing the same fights...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well there are alot of people here that think spinks won. so that judge isn't alone.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Boxer'
    well there are alot of people here that think spinks won. so that judge isn't alone.
    True but then we have to point out the Other Judge and the Other 50% who think Taylor won.

How is that possible? Its crazy.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judges are unfortunately human.

It is not as if there is something like a punch track or an energy bar (fight night) to see what's going on

the only criterion they have to go on are:

defense:
    ring generalship:
    effective aggression:

In that fight I would give most of the rounds to Spinks for both
    defense and ring generalship.

What it all comes down to is opinion afterall, I don't think that judges in
    boxing are any better or worse than other sports that use judges to
    determine a victor.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree...

It looks like its up to me to point out you bizarrly flawed logic here

I interpret the fights how I interpret them

Thats just what the judges do as well buddy

What you say makes no sense. Are you saying that judges should likewise be free to interperet a fight as they see fit, as you do, or would you rather they had to conform to your interpretation?

I'm not supporting the judges cos I think they suck at times too but arguing for you own sense of maverick free spirited judging of a fight whilst at the same time damning the judges for doing the same doesn't make much sense.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna watch the fight tonight, so I can't comment yet, but the problem is not that the judges had things different, it's that they had things so massivley different. I mean one judge 9 rounds to 3 Taylor, and another judhe 9 rounds to 3 to Spinks, how can this happen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna watch the fight tonight, so I can't comment yet, but the problem is not that the judges had things different, it's that they had things so massivley different. I mean one judge 9 rounds to 3 Taylor, and another judhe 9 rounds to 3 to Spinks, how can this happen?
    One judge saw Taylor's aggression and Spinks backing up. And the other judge saw Spinks counter punching ring generalship and defense.

This fight and those two scores are a prime example on what style those judges were looking at.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not like they are going on...an energy bar (fight night) to see what's going on Killer

LOL I like the way you're thinking there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The scoring system that we have in Professional boxing is the best of the worst systems that we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a daughter who lives in NYC. Recently my son went to visit her and they both went to some fights at Madison Square Garden. This was the first time my daughter had ever been to a boxing match. There was a controversial decision on the main event. I thought it was funny when I asked my daughter what she thought of the fights. She said she enjoyed the fights, but said the wrong guy won the main event. WTF is wrong with the judging system in boxing that allows somebody, who is considered a competent official, score a fight for the loser. Maybe we should ask Dick Flaherty.

Thread Information