Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Media mainstream sportscenter starts show with mma vs boxing debate

It was joe rogan and lou dibella. i'll give a brief summary of each point brought up.

Rogan: mma (UFC) commentator
    It's more exciting (defended submissions as exciting)
    It has state sanctions and it incorporates more fighting styles
    It is essentially they sport of real fighting
    Said boxing is unrealistic as a sport because when two people fight they wouldn't just fight standing up (people don't play basketball when they're pissed at each other either wtf does that matter?)
    Rogan named fighters such as whittaker and toney and said that their soulder rolling techniques are not quite garabge im not really sure how to word what he said but he said something along the lines of it not being an applicable talent in the real world of fighting (again why does everything have to be useable in fighting for something to be a real sport?)
    Said that boxing won't have anymore famous stars outside of the ones that are already famous now

Dibella: Boxing promoter
    Mma is human cock fighting
    Said that rogan can't be a real boxing fan because of the way he bashes the sport
    Complained about the way ufc markets by showing bloodshed in their adds to which rogan responded hes not in control of advertising (nascar shows some wrecks at times and nba shows hard fouls as well as baseball showing those devastating home plate slides so the advertising angle isn't a good one to take imo)
    Said that mma will only maintain its popularity as long as young white males continue to be interested in it
    Said that mma will never overtake boxing because boxing messed itself up and that boxing can fix itself just as well
    Also said that UFC is as good as it gets and everything else is garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dibella and Rogan fighting over UFC and boxing on Sportscenter

They just went at it in the first segment of Sportscenter a couple minutes ago. Rogan had a lot of good points. Brian Kenny said that he thought boxing was more pleasing than the UFC. Dibella basically said that boxing and UFC are like apples and oranges and Rogan said that boxing is getting swallowed alive. I didn't like Rogan's cockiness about the UFC. I think that boxing is more involving and interesting to watch but I like UFC too.

Sorry, go to the other thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Media mainstream sportscenter starts show with mma vs boxing debate

You got to it first.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Dibella and Rogan fighting over UFC and boxing on Sportscenter

Joe Rogan is a jackass......though DiBella ain't far off.

I hate MMA and I think Floyd Mayweather Jr is correct in some sense about the people who participate in MMA.

There are FAILED BOXERS in MMA, and there are extremely successful TKD, collegiate wrestlers, kick boxers etc in MMA as well.....that being said the failed boxers do win their fair share of matches.

But I will not be caught ENJOYING 2 guys rolling around on the ground trying for the "ground and pound"....you know what, skip the middle man people and go put on skirts, grab your purse, and make with the hair pulling and scratching.....you sicken me MMA fighters! All the tribal tats in the world won't make you more bad ass than the boxers of yesterday and more importantly today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brian Kenny brought up the question do you think it will pull a kickboxing (which spikes, pickes up fans for awhile then drops off) or will it become a permenant sport in the american market (ala boxing, football, basketball, baseball, etc. to which rogan replaied he thinks its here to stay.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's funny I prefer boxing as a sport but right now it seems that everthing that could be wrong abour boxing is going wrong and everything that could possibly be right for MMA is going right.

The excitement and passion right now is in MMA. The decent officials and competent judges are in MMA. The big personalities are in MMA. The best fights (best fighters fighting each other) are in MMA. The best value cards are put on in MMA.

What's apparent to me though is that boxing COULD improve a lot, a whole lot in fact in a way that MMA can't.

In MMA the judging and refereeing are already excellent. The best fighters are already fighting each other. They already advertise well, have huge personalites in the sport, and have one recognised champion per division (at least amongst organistations, not yet a recognised MMA champ across the field in each dvision)

In boxing, the refeerring and judging sucks. The best fighters rarely fight each other and there are no recognised champs in any divisions. There is a real lack of personalities in the sport right now and most of them who are, are old and almost done with their careers.

All of these problems in boxing could be fixed though. If it all got improved it would be the best martial arts sport in the world again no question.

If not, then MMA becomes the dominant force within another decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DiBella is right. They are two very different sports. I like the UFC but it doesnt compare to boxing but thats my opinion. I dont understand why it is boxing vs. UFC.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Rogan=Failed comedian,failed actor,actually succeeded in killing the hugely popular Man Show,got in to fight with Myspacer named Kevin

Lou Dibella=Succesful promoter,created boxing after dark for HBO,promoted fights for Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey I don't agree with picking either of them to represent their given organizations but rogan is a figurehead of the biggest mma entity and dibella is one of the biggest promoters out there so i can see why they did it.

El Kabong Guest

...it's boxing vs UFC because (hahaha get ready for it) The LIBERAL MEDIA (Dana White) want to catapult UFC into the regular sport stratosphere with football, baseball, basketball, and hell even soccer, boxing, and ice hockey!

When in actuality it's WWE....it's not fake but it's too much style and not enough substance. Tribal tatoos, GNC product apparel, crazy hair cuts, 'the octogon'......it's a blatant pandering style of marketing to MEATHEADS everywhere....the same people who over do their upper body exercises are the ones saying "Woah man that Tito Ortiz is a badass, he dates Jenna Jameson, and beats people up for a living"......well truth be told his girlfriend has fucked more people than I can count, Tito wouldn't last 2 rounds in boxing, and if I want to see people back up their shit talk I don't go to UFC to see it.

Boxing has it's problems but let's just compare UFC 71 (when the numbers come out) to De la Hoya-Mayweather and see what's what!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Hey I don't agree with picking either of them to represent their given organizations but rogan is a figurehead of the biggest mma entity and dibella is one of the biggest promoters out there so i can see why they did it.
    If Joe Rogan is your figurehead,your in deep S*** as a sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats just it lyle. Jackson and Lidell will be compared to Mayweather/de la hoya when it comes to sales figures and all that. I hope the fight ends in under 2 minutes with an anticlimatic wide open head shot.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    DiBella is right. They are two very different sports. I like the UFC but it doesnt compare to boxing but thats my opinion. I dont understand why it is boxing vs. UFC.
    I think you are incorrect here. Ultimately it IS a fight between the two sports and here's why.

The heavyweight boxing championship of the world has ALWAYS in the past been seen as the pinnacle of sport. The ultimate fighter, the ultimate man if you like.

Since its beginnings and up to Lennox Lewis the heavyweight champ has always been able to lay claim to to being the baddest man on the planet.

Now with MMA increasing in popularity, its entirely possible that in a few years the world's best fighter and baddest man won't be a boxer at all but an MMA star.

That's a huge and massive historical shift, don't underestimate it for a second.

In racing Formuala One is seen as the pinnacle of motor sports because those cars are the fastest in the world and their drivers seen as the best, with superhuman reflexes of a fighter pilot and brave and dashing to boot. Despite the sport being seen as boring to some it's the ultimate motor sport because of that very fact, it's the fastest and most skilled driving challenge.

If somebody invented a racing sport where the cars were faster but still raced head to head with each other, 20 or so in a race at once, and they raced through loops, jumps, going upside down and insanse turbo boosts that launched the cars in the air, trust me, within 20 years of it's launch Formula One is gone baby!

And that's the problem boxing is faced with. How can the baddest man be so, when he;s only facing punches and nothing else, whilst you've got this crazy guy in MMA who can knock people out with leg kicks and knees to the face, pick people up and slam them to floor, or choke them unconscious or snap their arms?

Boxing is in danger of losing that baddest man title, and if/when they do so it will seriously damage the credibility of the sport as the ultimate fighting sport.

El Kabong Guest

Joe Rogan tries too hard....dude, News Radio was as high as you'll get without the use of drugs or selling your soul to Don King.....I mean The Devil.

DiBella may be a bastard but he has the history of boxing to back him up

Take the heavyweights and fight them....UFC Heavyweight Champ Lidell (he's heavyweight now right?) vs Vitali Klitschko......I'm not a bettin man but I like Vitali's shot at boxing OR MMA.....go ahead try to ground and pound Vitali, he knows the kickboxing he'll whip your ass either way.

BOXING > UFC......fuck MMA, it's for sissies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    I think you are incorrect here. Ultimately it IS a fight between the two sports and here's why.

The heavyweight boxing championship of the world has ALWAYS in the past been seen as the pinnacle of sport. The ultimate fighter, the ultimate man if you like.

Since its beginnings and up to Lennox Lewis the heavyweight champ has always been able to lay claim to to being the baddest man on the planet.

Now with MMA increasing in popularity, its entirely possible that in a few years the world's best fighter and baddest man won't be a boxer at all but an MMA star.

That's a huge and massive historical shift, don't underestimate it for a second.

In racing Formuala One is seen as the pinnacle of motor sports because those cars are the fastest in the world and their drivers seen as the best, with superhuman reflexes of a fighter pilot and brave and dashing to boot. Despite the sport being seen as boring to some it's the ultimate motor sport because of that very fact, it's the fastest and most skilled driving challenge.

If somebody invented a racing sport where the cars were faster but still raced head to head with each other, 20 or so in a race at once, and they raced through loops, jumps, going upside down and insanse turbo boosts that launched the cars in the air, trust me, within 20 years of it's launch Formula One is gone baby!

And that's the problem boxing is faced with. How can the baddest man be so, when he;s only facing punches and nothing else, whilst you've got this crazy guy in MMA who can knock people out with leg kicks and knees to the face, pick people up and slam them to floor, or choke them unconscious or snap their arms?

Boxing is in danger of losing that baddest man title, and if/when they do so it will seriously damage the credibility of the sport as the ultimate fighting sport.
    This "baddest man on the planet" can lose just as easily to all those things because no one in that sport has a damn clue about defense ("i can defend against a take down" good for you now learn how to block a F****** punch so everybody can't lay claim to everyone in your sport having a glass jaw).

Thread Information