0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Older Fighters

Ive had it beaten in to my god damned head
    Up on your toes
    Get on your bycicle
    My knees are crap,and my ankles are worse
    How do I retrain myself to fight flat footed?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Older Fighters

'ello, now im no expert on older fighters im only a lad, but i read one of ur topics the day b4 yesterday an i found myself askin one of the older guys at our gym.

And amazingly one of the first things he said was he had to fight flat footed n adopt a different style of defence..... and if u want to fight flat footed, i think the best way is to do all cardio n excercises at the beginning of the workout until ur tired, then spar a bit, u shouldnt have to concentrate too hard to keep ur feet down!

The guy in my gym damaged the bones in his calves badly a number of years ago in a traffic accident and this in co-ordination with his age is making it difficult for him to run everyday....He suggests cycling a day, running the next, then swinng the next etc. But now he's not speaking to me because he thought i was taking the piss in showing such interest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The last sentence alone earned a CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    'ello, now im no expert on older fighters im only a lad, but i read one of ur topics the day b4 yesterday an i found myself askin one of the older guys at our gym.

And amazingly one of the first things he said was he had to fight flat footed n adopt a different style of defence..... and if u want to fight flat footed, i think the best way is to do all cardio n excercises at the beginning of the workout until ur tired, then spar a bit, u shouldnt have to concentrate too hard to keep ur feet down!

The guy in my gym damaged the bones in his calves badly a number of years ago in a traffic accident and this in co-ordination with his age is making it difficult for him to run everyday....He suggests cycling a day, running the next, then swinng the next etc. But now he's not speaking to me because he thought i was taking the piss in showing such interest
    Believe it or not,it worked like a charm
    I was stalking and cutting the ring off the entire time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it just me or do you sometimes see young fighters competing at a high level fighting flat footed too? I've always wondered if it's almost as bad to be too high up on your toes as too grounded.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Is it just me or do you sometimes see young fighters competing at a high level fighting flat footed too? I've always wondered if it's almost as bad to be too high up on your toes as too grounded.
    Honest awnser
    Too many of them power lift
    So for their weight class,they have this enormous upper body being carried around by calfs that look like twigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it could actually be a disadvantage having an upper body that's too big in proportion to your lower body then? I've always been the other way around and thought that the occasional girl I met with broad shoulders would often be more powerful - perhaps I thought too much about power and not enough about movement.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it could actually be a disadvantage having an upper body that's too big in proportion to your lower body then? I've always been the other way around and thought that the occasional girl I met with broad shoulders would often be more powerful - perhaps I thought too much about power and not enough about movement.
    This is going to sound very zen,but balance is indeed the key
    If you have alot of power,but no legs,you lose stamina
    If you can bounce around the ring like a jack rabbit,but have no power to inflict,you can be cornered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I see your point - i think being very into distance running before my knee injury I didn't balance it enough with upper body stuff - now though I'm beginning to get a bit stronger in my upper body - just not sure If I can still fight as a bantamweight. Strange how long it can take to find a happy medium.

Mental note to self - fewer carrots more protein!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heck, maybe moving up a weight class by adding a little muscle on to become more powerfule and stabilize joints that have been injured wouldn't be such a bad thing. Ususally, the higher the weight class, the less zipping around the ring you have to put up with. With you getting over a knee injury, maybe boogeying around the ring even just a little less might help your knee out.

Sorry for all the maybe's. I haven't got to actually see much in the way of female bantam and junior bantam weight fights to be able to determine how much difference there is in ring movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i think you're right CC FeuerFrei. There's a lot more power in the featherweight division than the bantamweight division - I'd have to improve my guard and my power a bit to deal with that - but would enjoy feeling stronger if it worked I think.

As a bantam I would fight at 54 kg, the next lightest fighter in the gym is 66 kg and after that the lightest is 75 kg. Perhaps packing on a bit more meat to fight at 57 kg will make everyday training easier. I do get annoyed at not being able to be a more challenging and valuable sparring partner for my bigger teammates.

I can tag them but don't often put them off balance the way someone their own size could (unless I use angles really well)- OK for touch sparring but not enough if they need to feel what it's like to be pushed around. Maybe I still won't do it a lot as a featherweight but I'd be closer to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i think you're right CC FeuerFrei. There's a lot more power in the featherweight division than the bantamweight division - I'd have to improve my guard and my power a bit to deal with that - but would enjoy feeling stronger if it worked I think.

As a bantam I would fight at 54 kg, the next lightest fighter in the gym is 66 kg and after that the lightest is 75 kg. Perhaps packing on a bit more meat to fight at 57 kg will make everyday training easier. I do get annoyed at not being able to be a more challenging and valuable sparring partner for my bigger teammates.

I can tag them but don't often put them off balance the way someone their own size could (unless I use angles really well)- OK for touch sparring but not enough if they need to feel what it's like to be pushed around. Maybe I still won't do it a lot as a featherweight but I'd be closer to it.
    Believe it or not,putting that extra meat on to your legs,will give you an immediate boost in power,if your driving your hips right

Now for my second zen statement
    Actually wait,I can avoid Zen
    Look at Ann Wolfe,or Feur for all that matter,carefully
    Now while their upper bodies are trim,they by no means look like they can deliver that one punch knockdown they both have
    Now look at their legs,both of them have big strong legs,and youll notice those muscle bunch right before a big shot
    Its having a foundation and driving your whole body in to a punch
    Come to think of it look at Tyson,when he was actually Tyson,his thighs were massive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actually thinking about having extra meat on my upper body - my legs have always been stocky - perhaps I'm just not using them correctly - actually I'd pretty much guarantee I don't do anything perfectly - but really that's boxing isn't it - you don't learn it overnight.

Do you think it's possible to have a strong enough lower body but not have the upper body to transfer the power - sort of a weakest link philosophy - something not up to scratch in my core which prevents me from using power from my legs?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Honest awnser
    So for their weight class,they have this enormous upper body being carried around by calfs that look like twigs
    Hey, Trainer Monkey i kinda fit into ur description there....But not because i wanna, i jus cannot build up my calves at all. I would describe my style to be similar to that of Gerald McClellan/young Bernard Hopkins so my legs are letting me down. Any tips for me on how to buildup those calves?
    NOTE: As we speak they are in AGONY!!!!

Oh and i really respect ur desire to train n compete so id really appreciate if u could take the time to make a post on my training regime in the Training section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Honest awnser
    Hey, Trainer Monkey i kinda fit into ur description there....But not because i wanna, i jus cannot build up my calves at all. I would describe my style to be similar to that of Gerald McClellan/young Bernard Hopkins so my legs are letting me down. Any tips for me on how to buildup those calves?
    NOTE: As we speak they are in AGONY!!!!

Oh and i really respect ur desire to train n compete so id really appreciate if u could take the time to make a post on my training regime in the Training section
    Welp,I dont know what type of equipment you have readily available,but two excercises that will build your legs that you can do with just dumbells are calf raisies and squats(which was my agenda yesterday as a matter of fact)but yeah,you dont want,you NEED a good set of wheels under you,otherwise your building your foundation on sand.

Thread Information