Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chuck Liddell

In MMA's short time its had some obvious shifts in style. Early on submissions ruled the day, but as fighters figured out BJJ and the avg MMA fighter simply became a better athelete the guys who were soley sub artists had to broaden the game. Submissions are still a vital part of the game, but its now an addition to your fight game and not the main cog. Then Coleman came along and showed this dominate GNP style. Many fighters like Hughes, Randleman, Kerr and ortiz took it and for a period dominated the sport. Wrestlers bring a great athleticism and work ethic. Once they pick up the sub game and stand up they make great MMA fighters. With the emergence of Mirko/Chuck/Wandy/Franklin etc we are seeing an influx of elite strikers that can keep fights standing. The future of course is people like GSP/Rampage/Shogun/Fedor who are all be it better in one area but capable in all areas. They can finish fights anyway necessary and deal with fighters who are great in all aspects
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    In MMA's short time its had some obvious shifts in style. Early on submissions ruled the day, but as fighters figured out BJJ and the avg MMA fighter simply became a better athelete the guys who were soley sub artists had to broaden the game. Submissions are still a vital part of the game, but its now an addition to your fight game and not the main cog. Then Coleman came along and showed this dominate GNP style. Many fighters like Hughes, Randleman, Kerr and ortiz took it and for a period dominated the sport. Wrestlers bring a great athleticism and work ethic. Once they pick up the sub game and stand up they make great MMA fighters. With the emergence of Mirko/Chuck/Wandy/Franklin etc we are seeing an influx of elite strikers that can keep fights standing. The future of course is people like GSP/Rampage/Shogun/Fedor who are all be it better in one area but capable in all areas. They can finish fights anyway necessary and deal with fighters who are great in all aspects
    I agree. My comments were for the guys saying how boxers will win any fight. The fighting is constantly changing and striking is being promoted by the UFC. They favor strikers over grapplers as do the fans. But pure strikers will not go far. Neither will any strict discipline. I think the Hughes vs Gracie fight really signified that. I watched some of those old UFC's again and realized the guys that Gracie submitted had no clue what was going on.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the sad thing is that many boxing fans have solidafied thier oppinions based on the first couple of UFCs. I hope that they can give it another shot and just enjoy many very interesting matchups.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not out trying to recruit fans if you like it great if you don't thats ok too, but it really pisses me off when someone who is completely ignorant of the sport bashes it and its fighters
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    ...there is the issue right there MMA goes on about how it's better than boxing and involves all these different styles and then you ask them how would you deal with a boxer the answer is ALWAYS the same

KICK AND RUN

which is why I don't really have much respect for the sport. Outboxing someone takes skill, kicking and running can be done by ANYONE....you tell Bruce Seldon he can kick Mike Tyson and maybe he stands a chance of going 5 rounds but tell him to use his hands and his brain and it's over before it starts!
    Lyle give me a break....by this rationale boxing should just be two guys standing in the middle of the ring taking turns punching each other....you wouldn't advise PBF to try to stand bang with Oscar would you? You wouldn'd have told Frazier to try to out box and counter Ali? Would you tell Tyson in this mythical fight to try to submit his opponent? NO..in this mythical matchup using your perspective that MMA fihgters can punch and have poor chins why would I tell any MMA fighter to attempt to go in and slug it with a boxer? I really think its the MIXED part that you are missing...I know you don't appreciate it, but that is what alot of MMA fans like the strategy and versatility....And not just anyone can as you say kick and run....Muay Thai leg kicks take alot of work to master....they are lightning fast and if you aren't used to checking them it happens as fast as a PBF counter. Not to mention they hurt like a SOB...They provide the distance I'd want to keep out of a much superior punchers range and they would greatly reduce the boxers power and movement...its good strategy not some chicken shit cop out
    So if you can just barely survive the distance by hanging on and tying up like a little girl then you are rewarded for having a "good strategy"

You can have your MMA it's different but it's nothing I would do even in a street fight
    Lyle if you came any where near these guys in a street fight it'd be a long road to recovery for you my man. They'd knock you out, and break any limb they felt like, or choke you half to fucking death. You'd be just as dead if you ran into Randy Couture as Wladimir Klitschko, or Mike Tyson. Maybe deader.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

people say boxing and mma are different sports. wrong. they are both subsets of combat sports.

would a boxer win every time? No, but we have yet to see a truly top boxer compete. All we've ever seen are scrubs and has-beens make the transition.

pound for pound, I'll always give the slight edge to the boxer because it starts on the feet with the hands. guys like Chuck and Mirko, who are pretty good "boxers" in their own right, have done well. so what's not to say that a guy like Shannon Briggs, who'd tower over most UFC fighters, couldn't learn a sprawl and do ever better? The bottom line, the guy who makes the other guy fight HIS fight, will win most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    Quote Originally Posted by Entragian
    tommy is going to fight mma. remember this. we'll see how complete he really is.

P.S.= Go Rampage!!!
    Yes he is because he has a fight scheduled soon after and wants a warm up easily beating some fat bum

Boxers will always think its an easy step over to fight mma boys who have no technique, or defence as UFC's poster boy Liddell just embarrisingly proved.

Some dont come out to well like Botha, Mercer, Phillips but others like Butterbean and Briggs do alright and mostly they go up against the top blokes in mma, some mma boys go to boxing but against novices and poor journey men, The new Zealand or Hawian guy from k1 went pro boxing and got completely splattered by a non puncher, another well reguarded guy last year went pro but against another mma guy in his first pro bout , Mighty Mo got schooled and hurt by a journey man.

If Mercer is putting the training in for that ugly prick Kevin Ferguson (kimb slice) he will look awesome but only to non informed mma fans

MMA fans or rather fans of the big organisation ufc are really the poor cousins of the fighting world, boxers will willingly fight top ufc fighters but even top ufc fighters would never get in the ring with the likes of a Changaev, Mormeck, Bell, woods or Calzaghe

Boxers have a composure from learning there trade, being under pressure in a bout, put an mma fighter under pressure with punches and they will grab like an octupus from fear, good footwork and hand skills and these girls look laughable
    You my friend are an ignorant idiot.... Good job of sounding like a friggin fool though, every village needs an idiot and you are definetly a finalist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    No one is comparing MMA to boxing in terms of both of the styles used, of course its gonna be different.  They are comapring it to what sport is gonna get the butts in the seats. And AT LEAST MMA is willing to put their fighters against the very best and not just sunday stepovers

Case in point UFC 71 had a few upsets.   There is no "weak mandatory to huge fight" in MMA right now, each fight is dangerous.

Within the last years Rich Franklin, Matt Hughes, Georges St Pierre, Diego Sanchez, Mirko Cro Cop AND Chuck Liddell some of the main attractions in the UFC have been upset.  And why? Because there's no such thing as a soft "everybody knows who is gonna win" fight in an MMA ring lately. Thats why
    The fact that anybody in the ufc can upset a top fighter i think speaks volumes.
    And thats what makes it exciting.. ANYTHING can happen.
    Some of the arguments just dont mix tho. Saying a boxer couldn't hang for 5 seconds in mma when some matches only stay upright and end because of sloppy defense. Or saying mma fighters are more skilled but they get upset more often. I dunno i just can't see how it works out.
    MMA guys are skilled on the ground and can counter, stuff and sprawl a takedown. depending on your strength you can stand and strike until you find an opening or create one... If thy were to fight strictly a boxer, than he is gonna have more shoots attempted towards him along with clinches since it something that a Boxer really woulsd be at a disadvantage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    people say boxing and mma are different sports. wrong. they are both subsets of combat sports.

would a boxer win every time? No, but we have yet to see a truly top boxer compete. All we've ever seen are scrubs and has-beens make the transition.

pound for pound, I'll always give the slight edge to the boxer because it starts on the feet with the hands. guys like Chuck and Mirko, who are pretty good "boxers" in their own right, have done well. so what's not to say that a guy like Shannon Briggs, who'd tower over most UFC fighters, couldn't learn a sprawl and do ever better? The bottom line, the guy who makes the other guy fight HIS fight, will win most of the time.

von if a boxer trained to sprawl wouldnt' that make him an mma fighter, and isn't that the point of mma. I think that mma would welcome great boxers and i think they would bring another exciting variable into the mix.

of course u didn't say this von
    but i just think its kind of dumb for some people to relate a good double leg,triangle choke or arm bar to pulling hair scratching or biting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....I don't really care about their punching in thise case.....it's their defense that sucks

"You shoulda been bobbin and weavin" - Ezal, Friday
    Yea Foolio bob and weave conventionaly..... Then get kneedand kicked in the face or taken off your feet...... You guys need to stay on the boxingboard since you guys look really foolish when you weigh in with your weak arguments and fly by the pants remarks that are so outlandish and degrading. I assume spit in your face just so you can have a taste of how disrespectful you guys are being to hard working athletes, that have bigger balls than any of you and are at least chasing down a dream

Lyle you are the most cluless one of the bunch, I have been telling you this for over a year, please dont ever get in a street fight.... You will get seriously hurt and maybe killed, if ever confronted just run and hide behind your girlfriends skirt, because while you are lining up Queensbury style, somebodys gonna kick you, knee you, elbow... they dont give a shit if you thinking kicking is for girls you wont besaying that when your dental flossing with rope.... Wisen up man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well... Liddell... Where do I start? I seriously do not understand why some people regard him as a great striker. He was clearly outboxed and outskilled in his first fight against Quintin Jackson. And now on the rematch what does Chuck do? He pulls a rookie mistake by reaching in with a body shot and walks out to his left.... and to top off with both hands down. And what can you expect out of him when in that video of his where he says a straight right has no power.....

Now to the boxing vs MMA bashing. Personaly, I'm a fan of both. What would I watch if both events were on the same night? I would definetely be watching boxing. Anyhow, I just wished the UFC would scrap the elbow on the ground crap and make it more like Pride. Anyways to get back into the argument let's just say in a pure stand up the boxer will definetely be the victor and vice versus should it be under mma rules.

On a serious question: what's harder to learn? Defense against kicks and takedowns or good effective punching?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    ....I don't really care about their punching in thise case.....it's their defense that sucks

"You shoulda been bobbin and weavin" - Ezal, Friday
    Yea Foolio bob and weave conventionaly..... Then get kneedand kicked in the face or taken off your feet...... You guys need to stay on the boxingboard since you guys look really foolish when you weigh in with your weak arguments and fly by the pants remarks that are so outlandish and degrading. I assume spit in your face just so you can have a taste of how disrespectful you guys are being to hard working athletes, that have bigger balls than any of you and are at least chasing down a dream

Lyle you are the most cluless one of the bunch, I have been telling you this for over a year, please dont ever get in a street fight.... You will get seriously hurt and maybe killed, if ever confronted just run and hide behind your girlfriends skirt, because while you are lining up Queensbury style, somebodys gonna kick you, knee you, elbow... they dont give a shit if you thinking kicking is for girls you wont besaying that when your dental flossing with rope.... Wisen up man
    ...the bob and weave comment was from a movie which I cited JT....I know you're in a pissy mood because PAY-Rod got caught with a stripper/hooker and the Yankees are 14 games back but you can't argue that SOME defense would have been good for Chuck.....is it improper MMA to keep your hands up to block punches? Rampage kept his hands up....I guess he is a really horrible MMA fighter for blocking Chuck's punches and even WORSE for taking advantage of Chuck's jab that dropped by his hip....I don't care what type of fighting you're doing what Liddell did and what happened to him are DIRECTLY RELATED!

I don't go out looking for trouble, I'm not a shmuck, I'm not an asshole....I can have an argument without someone gettin "capped" but if someone wants to fight me in the street, fine....you can all place bets on the other guy doesn't bother me, but I will fight the way a MAN is supposed to fight and I will not sink to the level of kicking ESPECIALLY when the guy is on the ground, that's a chickenshit move right there. I am a gentleman and I'll conduct myself whether I'm visiting my Grandmother or in a fight with some thugs, I guess I just have to respect the other person's judgement and whatever happens will happen.

The odds of me meeting an MMA fighter in a street fight who can throw a punch much less TAKE a punch are SLIM and NONE

....also the odds of me being in a street fight to begin with are astronomical

Thread Information