Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Religion And Boxing. Do They Mix?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Religion And Boxing. Do They Mix?

I am a Christian. Can't say I am devout, I honestly do try to be though. I love God with my whole heart and do TRY and follow what the Bible teaches. I am not ashamed of this and never will be. However, one of my passions is boxing. I train, go into a ring in the attempt to send another man to his destruction.

I believe that what I am doing is not wrong in the eyes of God. It's a sport and as long as my motives are for a smooth easy victory then it's alright. If I went into the ring with the hope to hurt the other guy as much as possible, then I believe God would be angered by my motives.

I respect all peoples beliefs. Islam through to Christianity. So I want to hear other peoples opinions on the topic.

Do you believe a 'Godly' person can still do boxing?
    Or do you believe it contradicts what God would want?

Cheers

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Religion And Boxing. Do They Mix?

Religion itself is apart of everything. Soldiers at war, who are actually killing people, rely on religion to protect them and assure themselves that they are doing right by God.

People rely on religion to help protect themselves in the ring. Because honestly, when you believe you have God on your side, you feel a little better.

They don't mix and they don't not mix, it's just on a fighter to fighter basis on whether or not they mix or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate seeing a very religious boxer. Its cool if you do thats tuff in your private life but i dont wanna hear you reciting this and that in press conferences and after fights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't believe in any form of religion mate so my advice could well be shit

Trying to look at it from your point of view....
    I cannot see how it would make you any less of a person in the eyes of god if you should box, your a fighter who happens to be religious (Evander Holyfield was the same) thats all it is. Dont worry too much about it mate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe that God respects the individual not the sport. If your intent is to win fairly and humbly then all is well with Him. Boxing is a violent sport but so is football and rugby. Would you pose the same question regarding those sports?

You are not boxing out of anger or hate, correct? Do not let pride take over your soul and understand that there is no shame in losing to another boxer. Do not wish your opponent harm and understand that God loves him just as much as He loves you.

Outside the ring their is no reason to harm another man with your fists. Keep that in mind as well...

The real answer is to pray on it for yourself. You have a direct line to God ask him for yourself, and wait patiently for His answer. It will come at exactly the right time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel

I cannot see how it would make you any less of a person in the eyes of god if you should box, your a fighter who happens to be religious (Evander Holyfield was the same) thats all it is. Dont worry too much about it mate.
    Yes i'm sure god approves of evander having children to several different women as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel

Yes i'm sure god approves of evander having children to several different women as well
    Just said he was religious, I never knew he had kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I believe that God respects the individual not the sport. If your intent is to win fairly and humbly then all is well with Him. Boxing is a violent sport but so is football and rugby. Would you pose the same question regarding those sports?

You are not boxing out of anger or hate, correct? Do not let pride take over your soul and understand that there is no shame in losing to another boxer. Do not wish your opponent harm and understand that God loves him just as much as He loves you.

Outside the ring their is no reason to harm another man with your fists. Keep that in mind as well...

The real answer is to pray on it for yourself. You have a direct line to God ask him for yourself, and wait patiently for His answer. It will come at exactly the right time.
    Wise words there mate. Greatly respect your honesty. I would give you one of those 'CC' things but I STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT YET! Lol...

Heard something bout a Good and Sad under peoples name's or sumthing. But I can't see them under anyone's name. Help us out on this and I'll throw u a CC.

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also want to add that God put desires in us for a reason.  It's how you put these desires into play that makes the difference between being right and being wrong in His eyes.

You need one hundred posts before you can do the clicking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like Evander says Boxing is 90% spiritual and 10% physical

When its crunch time and you feel like quitting remember this verse “Phil. 4:13,” “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”.. The power of the Lord is a great source of energy make no mistake.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends...

I'm not religious at all...but that aside I'll give examples of where it does and doesn't mix.

1. Evander Holyfield...he believes God has got him to where he wants to be and he draws strength from above to win. This to me is an example of someone drawing on something to believe in to make him better so here...it works.

2. Naz...Before, it was never really a problem but if you noticed before the Barrera fight he was saying that "Mohammed is the only God". While I have no problem in someone having their own beliefs, I don't think it's right to force them on somebody else. Plus he received a mass amount of boos, which suggests nobody was interested. I also believe Naz was fairly insecure, and wanted the fans to love him. After his whole Islam entrance, the crowd was pro Barrera and for me, it greatly affected his performance.

(I should point out here that Naz is possibly my favourite fighter of all time)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What bothers me is when a fighter says "God wanted me to win" as if He wanted the other guy to lose. Maybe God did or maybe God didn't, maybe God just made sure you were both kept safe.

If it were me I would thank God for allowing me to box and leave it at that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

many man are influences by their beliefs to reach higher abilities, and they thank god for that. It is like a mans inner peace or mind set that they have deciplen and individual relationship with god.

this can boost your confident, keep you focus, train day in and day out harder and harder.

its just a mind set, but a strong belief only a few men can achieve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well, If u are faithful to the religion take comfort knowing that god gave man the power of free will. If you are in a ring, so is your opponent. He is trying to do to you, what you are trying to do to him. Its not like he is running away screaming for his life. However if he does, then beat him senseless. LoL! jk,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    What bothers me is when a fighter says "God wanted me to win" as if He wanted the other guy to lose. Maybe God did or maybe God didn't, maybe God just made sure you were both kept safe.

If it were me I would thank God for allowing me to box and leave it at that.

cc . this i say

Thread Information