Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Whats the story on Leon Spinks?

I always heard he had a hard time during the 90s, but I had no idea about how bad it was. I was reading about how he was homeless for awhile and actually still works as a janitor at a YMCA. It really disheartened me that a guy who won a gold medal for his country, a guy who beat Muhammad Ali, is now cleaning toilets at a gym.

How did he end up in such a bad way? Also, why would his rich, world champion son let his daddy clean toilets? I heard Lampley mention that Cory and Leon weren't close growing up, but still blood is blood.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whats the story on Leon Spinks?

God point on the Corey letting Leon live like that but from what I know Leon choose everything but his family so he was never there for his son and can take no credit other then the fact he had helped concieve him....

So I can understand why things are the way they are.....Though we do not know the true story....

Leon would more then likely just F*** Off anything Corey gave him anyhow so what is the point??

Here is a bit of unknown boxing trivia (or maybe it is?)

Michael was so afraid that he would end up losing all his money like Leon he actually put money in timed accounts so if he ever did go broke he would have money top fall back on in a few years...

From what the rumor states is he had set it up so every 5 years he would have access to a certain amount of money so he would (If it should ever have happened) never be broke more then a couple of years and during that time clean up his act until he had money available again so not to repeat his mistake....

Of course it is just a rumor but one I have heard several times from several different people
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe it is true that Leon sometimes works as a janitor etc.. he blew all of the money he earned during his career on fast living and partying. His character was well known even at his peak and that's why Ali's people put the 'immediate rematch' clause into the contract.. as they knew if he won he would party all the time and would be ill-prepared for a second fight so soon after the first. I've also heard a story that Leon and Michael have fallen out over his gold medal, which Michael is holding onto to prevent Leon from selling it. He can be seen every year at the International Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend where he is happy to sign autographs and pose for photographs, although his speech is badly affected. This could be down to some of the punishment he took during his career, but is more likely down to his lifestyle, as he has had serious problems with drugs and alcohol over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sound like a very smart thing to do from Michael.
    Leon's nickname was "Neon"and for good reason. He loved his time in the spotlights

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like in addition to being the superior boxer of the family, Michael was the smarter of the two as well.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Sounds like in addition to being the superior boxer of the family, Michael was the smarter of the two as well.
    Just heard today that he is in Columbus, OH doing janitorial work w/girlfriend.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Just heard today that he is in Columbus, OH doing janitorial work w/girlfriend.....
    I thought he was in Nebraska working in a YMCA and at a MacDonalds. As I understand it, he just wants to be left alone. When I saw him two years ago in Canastota, he pretty much kept to himself and did not mingle much. He was kind of sheleterd by Michael and some of the others. I felt badly for him. What the hell, he is only human.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sheltered

Thread Information