Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Liston Would of beat Ali if he would of faced him when he was younger

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sonny Liston Would of beat Ali if he would of faced him when he was younger

I know there is alot of Ali fans out there. I mean even i love Ali but i don't think he was a god like many do which is fine because it there right as a fan.

Now for what my topic. When Sonny Liston first fought Ali he was 35 maybe older was out of shape and had a drinking problem and still was even on the score cards before his shoulder injury which was legit at least as far as my knowledge goes. So what i am saying if Sonny Liston was younger and in his prime i think he would of had a good chance at winning. Just my thought i looking forward to what people while say to that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sonny Liston Would of beat Ali if he would of faced him when he was younger

Mr. 140...

Don't know if you are right; Don't know if you are wrong. But you get a CC from me

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sonny Liston Would of beat Ali if he would of faced him when he was younger

Boxing is all about if's and but's but he certainly would have had more chance when he was younger.
    But i think the clay who fought Liston was better than the Ali who beat Foreman so its really hard to call.
    Ali spent his best years in prison , so in a way many top fighters loose valuable fighting time , but debats like this are always fun.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could not agree with you more boxing is one of the most debatable sports in my opinion.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No definitive way, but Liston was scared of Ali. It's pretty well documented that Liston believed Ali was truly crazy and that scared him.

When he was younger he would have had more of a chance but I think he was beat just as much on the mental front as he was in the ring. Also, Ali was the first guy Liston ever faced that was bigger then him.

Liston as a young fighter was an animal though. Loaded up with every single one of his shots and had one of the heaviest jabs in boxing history. Not great speed, but a ton of power. Not sure if that power was all there when he fought Ali. I'm not sure of the Liston timeline before Ali and if I've seen those fights, maybe that would clue me in a bit more.

But I would take Ali over Liston. Liston would have a better chance, and I don't think he would be walking through any Liston blows but I just think he was a class above. Factor in the mental edge and I'm not sure I could foresee Liston winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The answer to your question is easy...... NO.

Ali would've beaten the crap out of Liston whether Liston was 25, 28, 32, or 35 years old. Ali was better, plain and simple.
    Their fight wasn't close. The only round Liston won was the round where Ali was blinded by an illegal substance that got into his eyes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The score cards were as followed Judge had Liston 58-56, judge Ali up by the same thing and referee had it even he had more then a round. And I would have disagree Liston was past it at 35 dude and i think if he was younger in his prime he give Ali a hard time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140
    The score cards were as followed Judge had Liston 58-56, judge Ali up by the same thing and referee had it even he had more then a round. And I would have disagree Liston was past it at 35 dude and i think if he was younger in his prime he give Ali a hard time.
    If the judges had Liston winning or had it even, then they must have all drank a bottle of vodka before sitting at ringside. Ali was dominating that fight. That's why Liston quit on his stool, because he was getting outclassed.

Have you ever watched the fight?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

been a while since i have seen it maybe i should look at it again but the score i told you are correct but i think i will view the tap again thanks for posting glade someone is taking interest in my post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140
    been a while since i have seen it maybe i should look at it again but the score i told you are correct but i think i will view the tap again thanks for posting glade someone is taking interest in my post.
    Ya, the judges scores that you posted are definitely the real ones, I just doublechecked them on boxrec.com, and you're right.
    But those are bad scorecards. Ali only lost one round (Round 5 I think), and that's when he was blinded by a substance in his eyes. He dominated every other round. I'm sure the fight's on youtube if you want to check it out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea Thanks for that info be sure to watch and while your on why dont you answer my question on the overrated rocky no one has answered my question what was up with the second fight that rocky had with walcott he seem to be able to go on but wait till the ten count and then jumped up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liston would be better when he was younger but i don't think he would beat Ali
    It was always more mental than physical.
    Ali(still Clay then) at 22 was splendid phisical specimen of a fighter.
    fast as lightning, reflexes like never seen before, mentally the most imposing fighter Liston had even faced

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea i guess you make a good point about Ali in the in his early years but Liston seem to done when they fought think his way of life over the years caught up with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Given you a CC for your wel thought post.
    Keep it up Mr140

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Sonny had fought Clay (as was then) when Liston was 20 ............. Clay would have been about 7.

So, I reckon Old Stoneface may have shaded it !!

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information