Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He only landed 4 punches a round for 12 rounds!!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: He only landed 4 punches a round for 12 rounds!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by EastonAssassin
    dominating fighters like Reggie Johnson is what RJJ did best and his managers made sure he stayed in the ring with that caliber of fighter for as long as possible. he tried his hardest to duck Tarver but Tarver just wouldn't go away. RJJ was a talented fighter but lacked heart and technique. top 10 most over-rated in my book.
    Hopkins, Tarver, Kelly, Gonzales, Toney, Hill, & McCallum were all fantastic fighters...& he beat all of them...nothing overratted there.

A bit short sighted of you to focus on one fighter while trying to add some meat to your arguement.
    are you tarver? because how in the hell can someone say roy was ducking tarver..tarver didn't turn pro untill 97..by that time roy had already beaten toney, hopkins, mccallum, lucas among others as wacko mentioned... and when roy fought montell in the first fight tarver only had 4 fights at the time...

ducking tarver is one of the most idiotic statements i've read on here in a long time..oh when it came time for them to actually meet the first time..tarver lost the eliminator bout to eric harding so jones fought harding....not roy's fault tarver had to get back in line...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dominating fighters like Reggie Johnson is what RJJ did best and his managers made sure he stayed in the ring with that caliber of fighter for as long as possible. he tried his hardest to duck Tarver but Tarver just wouldn't go away. RJJ was a talented fighter but lacked heart and technique. top 10 most over-rated in my book.
    Haha.. Yes he lacked heart and technique..

For technique see entire career..

For heart see fights with lou del valle, tarver 1, the fact he is still fighting

And to show you again how little you know about the subject and why you should not have commented...

"Rjj and his managers" .. Rjj was his own manager his own promoter and did it all himself..

Which for one would explain the hardships of finding fights.. Its proven that a number of five or so supermiddle weights ducked him or failed to qualify to fight him..

And if you speak of the ' reggie johnson's' of boxing so lowly..

You should probably consider that he is the only man to legitimately knock james toney down..

And james toney has come from middleweight to heavyweight and never ducked a fighter.. Fought Holyfield, Jirov, Sam Peter twice, Roy Jones himself has a hell of a punch..
    In short..Toney has an iron chin..
    And if An Iron chinned Toney who i will also add was a defensive master at the time..Was knocked down by reggie johnson.. So reggie johnson must have been a hell of alot more then you have cracked him up to be..

Please consider this

You know its true.. Well..You may not know..But when you dont know..You dont comment
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dominating fighters like Reggie Johnson is what RJJ did best and his managers made sure he stayed in the ring with that caliber of fighter for as long as possible.
    I shouldn't need to remind you that his first ever title shot was against one of the greatest Middleweights a alltime Bernard Hopkins and he beat him easily. He moved up a weight class to fight the no. 1 pound for pound and Undefeated Super Middleweight James Toney and made him look like a bum!! He KO'd the undefeated Montell Griffin in the first round with a body shot!! He KO'd the undefeated Glen Kelly from one punch thrown with his arms behind his back!! He moved up and won the Heavyweight Title standing his ground not running for his life!!

he tried his hardest to duck Tarver but Tarver just wouldn't go away.

Tarver only ever challenged for a title once before Jones and lost!! RJ had to lose 20 pounds of muscle to fight Tarver and still won the fight in the championship rounds!! Its obvious he wasn't the same after moving back down from Heavyweight.

RJJ was a talented fighter but lacked heart and technique.
    How many guys starting as Middleweights have the heart to fight at Heavyweight? After barely winning the toughest fight of his life Jones agrees to a rematch. After being brutally KO'd by one punch he agrees to a rematch. You think that shows a lack of heart?

I guess RJ would have looked technically better for you if he slowed down, held a high guard like Winky, or stood still and made his opponents miss like Toney and Hopkins? Jones was an entertainer above all else, his style was by choice not necessity.

over-rated..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    Man, man, man, just remebering how great and dominant Roy jones was...

against Reggie johnson.. reggie only landed 49 out of 380 for 13%..damn!!!

I miss the dominant Roy
    who doesn't?! He was an absolute freak! Remember when he played in a professional basketball game, scored like 20 points, and then fought a championship fight later that night, he won by the way!!!!! I don't see anybody doing that......He will always be a BOSS in my eyes....
    CC bro! that made me laugh thanks for clarifying who won lol

ICB Guest

Hopkins, Tarver, Kelly, Gonzales, Toney, Hill, & McCallum were all fantastic fighters...& he beat all of them...nothing overratted there.

A bit short sighted of you to focus on one fighter while trying to add some meat to your arguement.
    Exactly if you beat those kind of world class opponents plus probably 3 future hall of famers Toney Hopkins and Hill your certainly not overrated in my book.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very well said
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reggie Johnson tested EVERYONE he ever lost to exception to Roy

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Reggie Johnson tested EVERYONE he ever lost to exception to Roy
    Yep all of his losses were close decisions until he met Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

B-hop was no where near the fighter he became after that fight. he got a gift from the judges in the first Tarver fight. Gonzales? lmao. Toney, yea, i give him this one. thought he would lose but surprised me. Hill is an old washed up fighter who is benefitting from a lack of talent right now in the LHW and cruiserweights divisions. he was like 38 when RJJ beat him. McCallum? lmao, i guess you want him to get credit for Vinny Pazienia too. only reason RJJ fought Tarver for the 3rd time was for the money. and for those who like to mention Ruiz, he picked the WORST heavyweight champion of all time to win the title. not Byrd, not Vladimir, not Vitali, but the mighty Ruiz...lol. major accomplishment there. his whole career was hand picked until Tarver. Tarver was calling him out for almost 2 years. Tarver kept showing up at his post fight press conferences and weigh ins until the press and boxing experts started putting pressure on RJJ to make the fight. most were calling for that fight before he moved up to fight Ruiz but he thought beating Ruiz would distract them from Tarver. WRONG. Tarver didn't go away and the kept bringing him up. that's the only reason we got the 1st fight and after the "gift" the judges gave him, he had no other choice but to give him a rematch which he didn't want to do. Tarver answered the question everyone wanted to know: what would happen when RJJ finally gets in the ring with a fighter who isn't intimidated, has knockout power, and in their prime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Toney fight was by far Jones' most impressive win. At that time, Toney was considered the #2 PFP fighter in the world, trailing only Whitaker.

The Ruiz fight gets extremely overrated by Roy fans. That was only a big deal because it was interesting to see a smaller guy fight at heavyweight. But everyone expected Roy to win, because Ruiz was a stiff. He was a champ in name only.
    I think Roy's win in the first Tarver fight (and yes, Roy did win that fight) is more impressive than the win against Ruiz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

B-hop was no where near the fighter he became after that fight. he got a gift from the judges in the first Tarver fight. Gonzales? lmao. Toney, yea, i give him this one. thought he would lose but surprised me. Hill is an old washed up fighter who is benefitting from a lack of talent right now in the LHW and cruiserweights divisions. he was like 38 when RJJ beat him. McCallum? lmao, i guess you want him to get credit for Vinny Pazienia too. only reason RJJ fought Tarver for the 3rd time was for the money. and for those who like to mention Ruiz, he picked the WORST heavyweight champion of all time to win the title. not Byrd, not Vladimir, not Vitali, but the mighty Ruiz...lol. major accomplishment there. his whole career was hand picked until Tarver. Tarver was calling him out for almost 2 years. Tarver kept showing up at his post fight press conferences and weigh ins until the press and boxing experts started putting pressure on RJJ to make the fight. most were calling for that fight before he moved up to fight Ruiz but he thought beating Ruiz would distract them from Tarver. WRONG. Tarver didn't go away and the kept bringing him up. that's the only reason we got the 1st fight and after the "gift" the judges gave him, he had no other choice but to give him a rematch which he didn't want to do. Tarver answered the question everyone wanted to know: what would happen when RJJ finally gets in the ring with a fighter who isn't intimidated, has knockout power, and in their prime?
    actually virgil hill was 34 and PAZ was 33 when roy fought them..so if roy doesn't get credit for beating them, tarver doesn't get credit for beating roy...and who the hell is "we" i had a feeling you might either be a tarver fanboy or somewhere near him either way it doesn't matter because you and tarver are both delusional to roy was ducking tarver....tarver didn't turn pro until 1997 even though he was an amateur with roy....and don't blame roy for moving on with career unlike the crack head tarver....and when they were supposed to meet the first time tarver had his bitch ass handed to him by eric harding so there was no need to fight his sorry ass..and when he finally fought roy, he was 35 and clearly nowhere near prime...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    actually virgil hill was 34 and PAZ was 33 when roy fought them..so if roy doesn't get credit for beating them, tarver doesn't get credit for beating roy
    Age isn't an accurate way of judging a fighter.... however, wear-and-tear is an accurate way.

Pazienza was much farther past his prime at the age of 33 than Roy was at the age of 35 when he lost to Tarver.
    Paz was fighting about 30 pounds above his most effective weight, and his career had nearly been ended by a near-fatal car accident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cmon. Are you serious? Tarver was a nobody until he fought RJJ. Who cares he was calling him out. Tarver lost legitimately the first fight. The only thing is the rounds he won, looked good and seemed like the first person to give RJJ a tough fight. It was extremely obvious that RJJ was gassed out in that fight and he would win 2:30 seconds of the round and then lay on the ropes for 30sec. and let Tarver punch with his guard high. The second fight Tarver landed the perfect shot. The third fight was so boring I couldn't even finish watching it. Tarver is a good fighter but he's not legendary and if anyones resume can be picked apart it's Tarver's.

24 and 4 He's lost to pretty much every big name he's fought. Hopkins, RJJ, Glen Johnson, Eric Harding. And he won a split decision against Reggie Johnson. Tarver's a good fighter but nobody to be ducked and he needs to shut the hell up with his "legend killer" stuff. I am sure you can deliver that message directly to him.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what's funny is this guys comes in here and tries to bash roy, claiming that he ducked tarver and that roy's opponents where set-ups in order for him to keep his belts or whatever....

when if this idiot would actually look at tarver resume he didn't do anything but try to fight the guys roy fought..not to mention he won a spilt decision to reggie johnson after roy destroyed him...got his ass beaten by harding and bhop...

toney,hill, Hop(obviously), lucas, gonzanles, woods, kelly, devalle, telesco, hall, alll would have beaten tarver.....

Thread Information