Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HEADACHES When PUNCHING?

Ok I've come across a problem.
    Friend of mine that I help train, complains of sudden sharp pains in his head when he hits a heavy bag and training mitts.

This happened a few days back. Since then I told him maybe to watch his breathing because he may be unintentionally holding back air while he punches.
    He told me today he breathes properly but still gets sharps pains running through his head when he hits both the heavy bag and focus mitts.

This one has got me in a twist? I've never come across this kind of problem.
    Little info on him.

He is super middleweight, 6'3", 22 years old. Pretty strong and cut.
    Never boxed against an opponent as of yet.
    He once had a head injury which was caused by a car accident a few years back, but since then has had many head/brain scans, all clearing him of any problems.

I...am...puzzled! Lol.

Anyone can help?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HEADACHES When PUNCHING?

I might be able to help... shake your head vigorously and tell me what it feels like

All I know is that if I have a tough bout... then the day afterwards it will hurt me to move my head... slipping punches etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    I might be able to help... shake your head vigorously and tell me what it feels like

All I know is that if I have a tough bout... then the day afterwards it will hurt me to move my head... slipping punches etc...
    Yeah I box, know what the thrashed head feeling is like. Lol.
    Fact is, this guy...doesn't box. He only trains.
    So he isn't taking any punches to the head.

He said he gets the sharp pains in his head when he punches bag, mitts etc...on punch impact.
    They only last a few seconds, but are apparently really painful.
    Makes him worried...and me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I'm getting at is... you say he he's had a head injury? you know what it's like to not be able to move your head quickly the day after a bout right?

not only does your head move slightly when you punch, but you have the force pushing back from the target after you've hit it and it's all going back into your body.

he's got the all clear off his scans but there still could be an underlying problem... could be something completely different of course... has he seen a doctor? I bet Scrap will know what's up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres an odd posibility
    Is the guy hydrating properly,if Im improperly hydrated,Ill get that to a degree,and with his history of head trauma,that would only make it worse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Heres an odd posibility
    Is the guy hydrating properly,if Im improperly hydrated,Ill get that to a degree,and with his history of head trauma,that would only make it worse
    my thought was hydration also, we don't know his life style obviously but being a young bloke maybe he hits the beer a bit to much in the evenings ? .. alcohol consumption will dehydrate the body .. if you party the night before, you will feel it training the next day. hydration is the key to successful training ... I have noticed not only headaches but lack of stamina without proper hydration . Note that thirst in not an accurate indicator of dehydration . You should take sips of water or Gatorade periodically, before the onset of thirst sets in..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Heres an odd posibility
    my thought was hydration also, we don't know his life style obviously but being a young bloke maybe he hits the beer a bit to much in the evenings ? .. alcohol consumption will dehydrate the body .. if you party the night before, you will feel it training the next day. hydration is the key to successful training ... I have noticed not only headaches but lack of stamina without proper hydration . Note that thirst in not an accurate indicator of dehydration . You should take sips of water or Gatorade periodically, before the onset of thirst sets in..
    Yep,I set a minimum intake of Gatorade per day,and keep a training bottle full of water and Gatorade handy while Im training.
    Also if your not hydrating properly you run a risk of cramping,the last thing you want when your sparring is a possible muscle tear from a cramp

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It sounds like the dorsal on his upper 4th vertabrae has tightened and troubling the nerve try the neck stretch on the stretches ive put up do it on the hour while awake for 3 days. then get back to me I bet he dont stretch. hold the stretch for 20 secs
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To add to the previous posts. Could be lots of causes. Firstly, he needs to get checked out by an osteopath or someone similar to be initially diagnosed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    It sounds like the dorsal on his upper 4th vertabrae has tightened and troubling the nerve try the neck stretch on the stretches ive put up do it on the hour while awake for 3 days. then get back to me I bet he dont stretch. hold the stretch for 20 secs
    Is that like turning your head to each side and holding?

I never thought that it could be his hydration. Common sense tells people to drink enough fluids, but I'll talk to him about this too.

Thanks people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just in case you're asking because you didn't see the vid it's in "Scrap's Stretch Programme" in the stickied posts up above this one. I think it's the first vid in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY_13
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Just in case you're asking because you didn't see the vid it's in "Scrap's Stretch Programme" in the stickied posts up above this one. I think it's the first vid in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY_13
    Ah yeah. I saw it, I will recommended this. Thanks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont turn the head at first, just keeping the chin level push back with pressure and hold for 20 secs every hour for 3 days youll feel the difference. Its the kneck problem is brought on usually by to much heavy bag work and not enougth maintainance or as MD says go see a good registered Ostiopath.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another possibility is that he is not receiving enough oxygen into his bloodstream. When i was younger i expieienced this problem and it resulted in severe shaking of my hands and when excercising hard it caused headaches. Was resolved simply by working on lung strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

please can someone help me, my son is 6 and started boxing about 4 weeks ago, recently hes been complaining of bad headaches when he punches the bags, and when he does tuck jumps, i noticed when he was skipping he came and had a drink from me and i asked him if he was ok and he said he had a little headache, i felt his head and it was boiling and i could feel the pounding pulse pounding on top of his head, the coach has had disscussions about my son as they dont want to train him anymore as his headaches are concerning them, their concerning me too, hes got adhd gets prescribed ritalin, i thought this was the problem so i stopped the ritalin and he still has the headaches, so it cant be the medication, he looks really red and flush, and the coach said you can see the distress in his face when he has the headaches when punching the bags, i brought him home early and he was really quiet and cold, then about 10 minutes later he was fine, this is happening frequently, he enjoys going and i find it upseting that these headaches are stopping him doing something he finally likes doing, and most of all its worrying for me incase there is something wrong with him, hes not dehydrated as the coach said he doesnt look dehydrated he drinks plenty, and my sons consultant said he could be training too hard, but there is younger kids there than him that does the same training with no problem and the coach said that the training aint too much. please could someone suggest anything about these headaches, their really worrying me, i would appreceate any replys, thanks, hayley..

Thread Information