Thread: Ajose Olusegun v Gary Reid RBR - Commonwealth Light Welterweight Title

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ajose Olusegun v Gary Reid RBR - Commonwealth Light Welterweight Title

Evnin all, and welcome to the Friday evening fight night with your host Michael Barrymore Super Heavy!

Tonight's bout is between Nigerian hot prospect Ajose Olusegun (I already know I am going to f**k up his name about 50 times) against Midlands area title holder Gary Reid. The scores on the boards for the vacant title are:

Ajose Olusegun (19-0, 10KOs) - Olusegun is one of the hot prospects to come out of Nigeria, although he has been fighting over here for a few years now. He's coming off a shutout points win over an eastern european journeyman, Vladimir Khodokovski in March, but his most notable victories have been over Bradley Pryce in Newport, Wales, and a KO of Ali Nuumbembe last year. The one concern might be that his only twelve round outing was against a novice for the African title in 2004.

Gary Reid (13-16-1, 8KOs) - Reid's TV exposure on the undercard of the Eastman-Ashira fight in an impressive five round KO of Dean Hickman really propelled him into this fight, as he defeated a contender to get thrust into the limelight for this fight. That outing was less than two months ago, where he showed guts and power to win that fight, and must have jumped at the chance to get this chance at a Commonwealth title. Whether he'll have had enough time to prepare might be the question, but I'm sure the little man will have had plenty of experience in going into fights short notice, and I think he'll surprise a few people.

The bookies have Olusegun as a massive favourite at 1/16, with Reid being considered a punchbag at 7/1 but nothing is certain in boxing.

Elsewhere on the card we have Commonwealth Bantamweight champion Tshifiwa Munyai in a keep busy bout at Featherweight, and the return of John McDermott at Heavyweight. Tune in at 10pm UK time, 5pm EST.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ajose Olusegun v Gary Reid RBR - Commonwealth Light Welterweight Title

what kind of styles do the fighters have mate?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ajose Olusegun v Gary Reid RBR - Commonwealth Light Welterweight Title

Looking forward to seing Olusegun and Munyai again.

CC Rhun.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    what kind of styles do the fighters have mate?
    Olusegun is a southpaw boxer, and is quite smooth and can often infuriate fighters with a bit of showboating, while Reid is a puncher who tries to use the height difference between him and others to sneak inside and launch the big shots.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

KK, time to get your last bets in for this one, cause they're going through the previews, and painting Olusegun as an avoided man. We'll be on in 5 minutes or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for the info and the RBR mate.Great work,sounds like a good styles match up. I predict..hmmm...Olusegun via stoppage in the 8th or a wide UD.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gary Reid coming in first and not many people in the areana look like they know who this guy is. He sure doesn't really have the pedigree of a Commonwealth challenger, but looks really focussed. Then again, the crowd don't seem to be too bothered about Olusegun either, he comes in to the strains of "one love" by Bob Marley, and is grinning like a man getting a standing ovation. Seems like the undercard fighters sold a lot of these tickets, cause not many fans on either side in.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Olusegun maybe gets the better applause as they're announced, but not much either way.

Round 1:

REid looking to duck in straight away but misses with long hooks aiminng for the body. Left from Olusegun, and they go into a long loving clinch. The long jab of Olusegun finding it's range, then a body shot. Reid already looking a little besieged, as Olusegun moves around well, and avoids. Two good body shots from Reid, then a right hook upstairs. Olusegun comes forward, mixing jabs and body shots. Reid with a right to the body. Jab and left from Olusegun.

Olusegun aggressive first round gets him the lead
    10-9

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 2:

Reid looks to pin his man back in the corner, and they have a wrestle, where Olusegun does spin him around. Olusegun working the body. but Reid is getting through with body shots, and Olusegun doesn't look to elusive as Reid bulldozes in. Olusegun dropping in some hard straight lefts, and a good flurry for Olusefun, and Reid lunges into the clinch. Reid is already looking a bit tired. Good right hand from Reid, but takes a right jab for his trouble. Reid not getting through enough, and Olusegun seems to be working harder, with more good straight lefts.

Oluseun
    20-18

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 3:

Reid comes out forging through, but is finding Olusefun difficult to catch, and a good body shot then left hook as Reid comes in. Cagey now, as Reid doesn't want to get caught, and Olusegun looking to pick his punches. The silence in the crowd is deafening, with very little. Olusegun with a body shot then straight, hook upstairs. Reid not doing anything at the moment. Reid increasingly looking outclassed in there. REid covers his head, so Olusegun launches five or six hooks to the body unanswered. Olusegun not looking to surge in, so cagey stuff.

Olusegun 30-27

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 4:

Reid gets in a body shot, but in order to do that takes two short shots to the head. Olusegun is teeing off with body shots and hooks to the head, and Olusegun showing his class, but also his arrogance as he starts to showboat pretendining to wind up the punches and mocking Reid. Reid pings in two body shots. Olusegun pretending to be tired now, shoulders slumped, before looping in two hooks to the body. REid getting increasingly frustrated as Olusegun clowns about. Part of me wants Reid to get him flush

Olusegun dominating.
    40-36

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 5

Looks like the ref wants to stop this one, as Olusegun is toying with his man and is totally out of Reid's league. I don't like to see a fighter humiliated and disrespected, and for me that is what Olusegun is doing. Big right hook from Olusegun. Reid may have landed one shot this round. And there's a second body shot. Olusegun is still a bit cagey, fights like a slightly more aggressive Junior Witter, which is not great for entertainment. And as he's been calling out Witter, I would pay not to see that fight. Olusegun rattles Reid with a hook.

50-45

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 6:

The corner are telling Reid that they'll pull him out if he doesn't start punching back, and Reid looks totally beaten. Right to the body from Reid, and a second, but a flurry of short hooks bothers Reid. An uppercut from Olusegun. Nice jab from Reid catches Olusegun unawares, and he's looking a bit better so far. And then Olusegun comes in with a jab and three bodyshots without Reid catching him. Three short hooks upstairs as they come out of the clunch, and Olusegun looking like he's all business now. Good flurries from Olusegun again here. Good right hook as Olusegun comes forward, then a left hook, but Olusegun replies in kind.

Olusegun still wins the round, but better from Reid. Finally.

60-54

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 7:

Reid is being called back by the ref for Vas on his face. Big left hook lands from Olusegun, and then they trade left hooks. Olusegun's workrate is going enough for him, but Reid is tough, and I'm more incluned that the ref is more likely to step in rather than Reid being KOd. Reid gets in a body shot, bfore a big flurry from Olusegun. Reid lands a decent left hook as Olusegun backs off, and Olusegun plays as though he's injured, waving his arms about, and for me that''s tasteless. Olusegun is throwin g off good flurres, and catching Reid, but not too much meat on the fists it seems.

Olusegun 70-63

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 8:

Olusegun's antics last time out were in bad taste, and I don't think it shows Reid the required respect. Reid coming forward a bit more, with body shots and a hook upstairs. Olusegun flurrying again, and Reid gets in a big right hand. A good left from Reid and Olusegun clinches. Olusegun looks wary now. Dance now motherhubbard. Come on Gary. REid body shot. Olusegun with some tame shots. Reid takes some hooks on the gloves. Olusegun not wanting to mis it so much. Body shot and upperdut from Olusegun. The ref warns OPlusgun for pulling faces at Reid, and about time too. Olusegun seems to be under pressure, as two body shots before the bell.

Reid's round for me.
    79-73

Thread Information