Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Blocking

I'm not sure the exact term here, but I've been working on blocking more punches with my hands up on my face and just catching them with the forearms or gloves... like what winky wright does so well.

My problem is I feel like the force of the punches is just knocking my fists into my head. If I keep my hands on my cheeks they sometimes get pushed at my eyes too... It seems to work better if I have them up higher, but its hard to see.

So I guess my question comes down to how exactly should I be holding my hands when I do this and should I expect to feel like I'm hitting myself or is that from something I'm doing wrong?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Blocking

Your problem seems to be contex when your hands are up you still have to move the body which moves the head. Otherwise if the first shot doesnt get you the next will. The whole joint system is wrking as a unit from the ankle to the wrists, motion is all or nothing everything has a job to do. Youre still catching shots with the hands defleckting catching slipping shots, because the hands are up without movement you will get hit. Theres a little more to the system than keeping the hands up, as with every style.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So does that mean we need to roll/step sideways a bit then Scrap?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Distance angles depth those are the lines youre always aware of and changing the depth should read levels. those if restricted then you will get hit. everything is in motion or has the ability to do so, this takes practice. Nobody sends enougth time practicing in the right concept. You dont practice these things sparring you do it before sparring, the concept is learned before you simulate under pressure. Learn the biomechanics of the exercise before testing.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent post Scrap.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    You dont practice these things sparring you do it before sparring, the concept is learned before you simulate under pressure. Learn the biomechanics of the exercise before testing.
    Partnerwork drills then Scrap?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really hate that both hands high and tight guard,you blind yourself as well as you protect yourself,and the bodies wide open
    Just a personal pet peeve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do seem to find it difficult to move with that kind of guard.
    It feels like I have to be too grounded to make it work. Ironic since when I'm being overwhelmed by my opponent is when I most want to move!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I do seem to find it difficult to move with that kind of guard.
    It feels like I have to be too grounded to make it work. Ironic since when I'm being overwhelmed by my opponent is when I most want to move!
    Im allways best when I maintain my normal guard and rely on a good 8 point blocking system even when pressed
    Ive allways hated the guard
    No offense to anyone who uses it,but Ive never liked it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's an 8 point blocking system - sounds like something I should know but don't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's an 8 point blocking system - sounds like something I should know but don't
    Ok,this is going to be hard to explain with out visuals,but Ill try
    Take horse stance,ie squated fully presenting front(allow for Von joke here)shoulders square with hips
    (Im gonna screw up order here)
    Left arm,elbow cocked upwards to block off overhand shot
    Rightitto
    Right arm in stance across body
    Left ditto
    Right arm flick out in stance
    Left ditto
    This is the part that needs translating from martial arts
    In martial arts its a full forearm sweep to portect your legs,but you can us it as just the jerk of your elbow to protect your body
    Everything is right there for full defense,its strictly praciticing it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Monkey - I'll write that down and take it to boxing training with me tonight and see if I can apply that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Monkey - I'll write that down and take it to boxing training with me tonight and see if I can apply that
    For boxing,you basically tighten it down,you have less of an available target,but the principles still apply
    Essentially you want every block to be a flick,not an over reach,or a turtle,this allows you to counter much quicker,and allowing yourself better vision sets up the counter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I've noticed if I over exaggerate a block I tend to get into trouble trying to defend against punches coming after it or set myself up as an easy target when my opponent throws a fake before attacking.

I'll try to keep it small especially since big flailing blocks look especially stupid coming from a midget like myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I've noticed if I over exaggerate a block I tend to get into trouble trying to defend against punches coming after it or set myself up as an easy target when my opponent throws a fake before attacking.

I'll try to keep it small especially since big flailing blocks look especially stupid coming from a midget like myself
    Meh,dont feel bad,late in the round I reach for blocks and I know better
    I intend to fix this,if anyones scouting
    But yeah the ultimate goal is to have it all down to flicks,and 8 point is a good tool to use

Thread Information