Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official...Mayweather is P*ssed!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It's official...Mayweather is P*ssed!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2918039

Looks like Ricky has pushed all the right buttons

Ricky Hatton wants a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing. It looks like he might get his wish.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years."

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Mayweather said Tuesday he will come out of retirement to put Hatton in his place.

"I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now. I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by, but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up. I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years."

Hatton's one-punch knockout win Saturday night over Jose Luis Castillo to retain his world junior welterweight championship just might have been the breakthrough the British fighter needed to convince fans outside his native country that he is the real thing at 140 pounds.

Like Mayweather, Hatton is undefeated. Unlike Mayweather, he fights in a wild, all-out style that should prove popular as he continues his campaign in the United States.

"There was more action in the four rounds of this fight than Floyd showed in his entire career," Hatton said.

There was more action in the four rounds of this fight than Floyd showed in his entire career.

Ricky Hatton

Mayweather announced his retirement after beating Oscar De La Hoya last month.

Hatton's father, Ray, said that his son is ready to face Mayweather -- anywhere.

"We're up for the fight, you've got to be up for a fight like that," Ray Hatton told Radio Five Live in the United Kingdom. "But it doesn't always end with the two fighters. There tends to be a few people getting in between.

"Ricky is chomping at the bit. I've spoken to him a little bit before all this came out and he said it's a no-brainer. It's a definite yes.

"Ricky will fight him anywhere -- that's the difference between him and Floyd, who wants it on home turf."

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager, said a fight could happen in the fall.

"Hatton's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name and he [Mayweather] will kick his butt. Floyd told me he wants to get the deal on," Ellerbe said, according to the Guardian newspaper. "Hatton [insulted] Floyd [on television]. But that's OK, he's had his opportunity to talk. Now all he has to do is to sign a contract and we can get this done. We can have it this year, in the fall. We don't need to wait."

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It's official...Mayweather is P*ssed!

I feel this is almost blasphemy for me to say this as a Brit but I'd kind of love it if Floyd came back down to 140 lb then flew to England to fight Hatton at Wembley and knocked him out in a devastating display of boxing brilliance.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By his very nature i fully expect Hatton to give Floyd his hardest test and really put it on him but also feel that Floyd will toy then destroy him.
    Just don't see anyway Ricky beats him.
    If Oscar couldn't hurt him at 154 then what is Ricky gonna do?
    Outbox him

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm afraid I agree - can't see anyway Hatton, could win unless he somehow managed to just smother Floyd and steal a decision - aint gonna happen. Floyd will do the same as he did to Gatti imo

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    I'm afraid I agree - can't see anyway Hatton, could win unless he somehow managed to just smother Floyd and steal a decision - aint gonna happen. Floyd will do the same as he did to Gatti imo

I see it the same. Even as a Brit I'd be rooting for Floyd to win this. He's just such an exciting defensive genuis that I would always root for him over the ugly mauling clinch style of Hatton even if I was Matthew.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol - I would 100% be routing for Ricky - just don't think he can win
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

I see it the same. Even as a Brit I'd be rooting for Floyd to win this. He's just such an exciting defensive genuis that I would always root for him over the ugly mauling clinch style of Hatton even if I was Matthew.

F*ck that,i'll be screaming my head off for Ricky to take him down but as much as i love to watch him i just cannot see any way he wins this.
    Floyd really does operate on a totally different level imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to agree
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky has the right mentality to beat Floyd. The right style, very physical . Oscar was molesting Floyd all throughout his match with him, the difference is Oscar would let Mayweather off the hook.. Hatton is more physical, fukin psycho in that ring. Rick will jockey for position pull Floyds hands down and physically make punching opportunities for himself. Hatton won’t be denied.. I love Hatton’s fighting spirit , true warrior . . It just takes one well placed Hatton Hook to the liver in order to cash Floyd out of there., very winnable match for Hatton make no mistake

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Whats exciting about Floyds hit and run style? Hatton's fights are plenty more exciting. I'm not criticizing Floyd. He's extremely skillful and quick, but more exciting than Ricky? You must be taking the piss.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a massive Ricky Hatton fan, and I'll be rooting for him in this. I'm totally shocked that some people are saying Ricky has NO chance to win. If Ricky can press him to the ropes, I think he can do it. Floyd is a great fighter, and as a fighter, I totally respect his abilities but he is a mouthy little prick.

If there is one thing I want to see in boxing more than any other, it would be to see Ricky Hatton knock Floyd out.

I do believe De La Hoya vs. Hatton would be a much more exciting fight though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem I could see with Mayweather is he tends to get overly defensive. I think personally he should stand in the pocket against Hatton, and make sure they get a ref who penalizes holding.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    The problem I could see with Mayweather is he tends to get overly defensive. I think personally he should stand in the pocket against Hatton, and make sure they get a ref who penalizes holding.
    These days more than ever. Oscar was pretty rubbish against Floyd really and yet the end result was still relatively close. Maybe we can say its because Floyd is at the weight limits he can go to. But Hatton would not let Floyd get away with that kind of performance. Going to the ropes too often and being on the defensive without throwing much back. Hatton wont unload with mindless flurries like that. He will be looking to hurt and target Floyd. Hatton's speed is underrated. He is fast.

Anyone predicting a Gatti style massacre is deluded. Hatton isnt that one dimensional at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky will have 10's of thousands of fans and a whole country cheering him on come fight nite... but sadly it wont be enough. Mayweather will be as ferocious as the nite he demolished Gatt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    These days more than ever. Oscar was pretty rubbish against Floyd really and yet the end result was still relatively close. Maybe we can say its because Floyd is at the weight limits he can go to. But Hatton would not let Floyd get away with that kind of performance. Going to the ropes too often and being on the defensive without throwing much back. Hatton wont unload with mindless flurries like that. He will be looking to hurt and target Floyd. Hatton's speed is underrated. He is fast.

Anyone predicting a Gatti style massacre is deluded. Hatton isnt that one dimensional at all!
    I think Oscar fought really good that fight. He showed way better defense than he did against Mosley. He kept his hands up, and stayed relatively tall. The fight was only close because Oscar was pressuring Mayweather, and because he's Oscar. In reality Mayweather was outboxing him badly, and Oscar took punches I think Hatton can't. While HAtton gets in quicker than Oscar, he has much slower hands, and can't throw the combinations that were what gave Oscar many rounds he didn't deserve.

Thread Information