Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: WAKE-UP BOXERS & FANS (Training Methods) by Tommy Noel

actually, i do consider it journalistic in nature when anyone attempts to present a side of historical occurance. it is an event, or a time period which occured. noel prefaces his article with an expository tone, saying he is going to share his experiences in the game...non-fictional writing always has an element of journalism. journalism always has an element of opinion. but when that opinion becomes discriminatory on larger levels (i.e. race, sex, generation, etc.) then it becomes more a work of irresponsible writing, or just flat out being a dumbass. im not here to talk linguistic responsibility, or delve into my pursuits as a writer and where that has led me, im just raising awareness for the fact that everything this dude says needs to be taken with a pound or two of salt because he clearly has bias' that are reflected in almost everything he says.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright, I see where you're coming from. I can see how it that gets on your nerves. I wouldn't let it get to me if I was you. You still have to recognise it for what it is, and make your own judgement call to what's right or not. I wouldn't discount everything that he puts into print, nor would I take his word for it. Personally I found a lot I didn't agree with, but I still enjoyed the read.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

of course...i think any read about boxing and training is a good read because its something i am passionate about. i just enjoy reading it whether i agree or not. it doesnt have to be steve kim or bert sugar or italo calvino or vladiimir nabakov for me to like it, im a literary freak and love to read, especially about boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In that case you'll be pleased to know that I'll be posting some links to some fantastic boxing literature. I found a few books that have been made available online via public domain, or are just plain available.

I've found a book by Mike Donovan, Georges Carpentier, along with other great books. I'll also post some boxing training manuals and excerpts as well.

Anyways I've been meaning to get to around it this week but I always find myself wrapped up with something else. I'll put it on the top of my list of priorities for tomorrow.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no no, I got what you were saying Chris!

I like it to swing for two reasons:

a) Footwork, timing and angles
    b) You're punching against more resistance if you hit the bag as it swings towards you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't sure before.

By the waym, did you read that excerpt by Joe Louis? Neat stuff.

Thread Information