Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Paul Williams?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of Paul Williams?

Who cares WHAT I think of Paul Williams.... the REAL fireworks of July IS on the 14th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IT all depends how he does against Margarito
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I don't like him much at all, ridiciously skinny he makes Diego Coralles look buff.

I personally fully expect Margarito to brutalise him. It will go to the late rounds, maybe he'll even survive all I know is that the next day everybody will be praising Williams' 'heart' for taking such a beating but still insisting that Margarito is a bum
    I pretty much see that but it will be another Cintron deal. People are not going to give Margarito any credit because Williams is a bum, never fought anybody, was overrated.

Which I can't really disagree with, I don't think Williams is that good, and he really hasn't fought anybody. But most of the people saying it will be people who've hyped him up, people that think he'll handle Margarito easily
    Williams is a much better fighter than Cintron was. Cintron was way in over his head when he fought Margarito. I don't think much of Margarito. But if he beats Williams, I'll give him his credit.
    Cintron is tremendous 6 foot banger and he was coming from a great fight against Teddy Reid. Margarito just pressured him, hit him from every angle and took all the juice from him, got him disorganized and beat him physically as well as mentally in 5 rounds. I still see Cintron as a big, strong and gifted welter with Manny by his side, having fought like he did against Estrada and Suarez, I'll say he is one of the best out there. Margarito can do exactly the same against Williams, just that he needs to pass by Paul's longer jab and deal with his well studied and timed combinations as Tony comes in ( and doesn't get cut), Williams definitely doesn't have the same power Cintron had and has...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito has a high determination factor , I don't think it will be enough.. Margarito is very very slow for a Welterweight. Williams beats him to the punch all night long and wins via late R KO.

I'd like to see Margarito do well seems a nice guy !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paul williams is paul williams i think the comparisons between him and hearns takes away of how people see him cause that's what they look to see when he fights......another thomas hearns and that just aint him. I think he a good fighter not quite as good as he thinks he is but good enough to beat margarito. Now will he i dunno but he can.....he lacks the "hearns" punching power but is very fast and if he ever decicded to use the height advantage he's gonna have in almost every fight he would be a lot better....i'll go out on a limb and say he beats margarito taking advantage of margarito's aggresiveness....
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he good
    nuff said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't be too hard on Williams yet, he still hasnt had a chance to show what he is made of. Credit to him for demaning a fight with Margarito, supposedly the most feared welterweight. He has also dominated all 32 of his opponents and never even had a close fight as far as I know. Lets at least give him a chance before saying he's garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was very impressive against Sharmba Mitchell, thats his only fight against anything like a quality opponent, he was as impressive as he could be in that fight, but we're gonna see if he is as good as some people already think he is when he fights Margarito. This is his acid test, just like Miranda was for Pavlik. If someone gave me £1000 and said put your money on the winner, I'd pick Margarito, but you can never tell when you don't know 100% how good either fighter is.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

El Kabong Guest

...Sharmba really nailed him with some good punches though....Paul doesn't use ANY defense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's tough to say only seing his last few fights. His performance aginst Sharmba was decent, but Sharmba is well past his good days. The one thing I notice about Williamns is he seems pretty easy to be hit. Against a guy like Margartio this could be very dangerous for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think PW is a raw kid who is still growing.

He is fast,
    throws lots of punches (like Margarito)
    leaves his head in range to be hit,
    but gets better each time he is out there.
    Sounds like someone I want to see!

I am not sure what type of amateur career he had, but looks like he is OJT in the ring. Someone who is 6'2" that young is still growing, and I believe his power will grow also. He needs to settle down and launch punches like the Cobra, then we'll see what kind of power he has. Right now he's punching like Ouma. Whoever said it has it right; Margarito will answer alot of questions about him, but he will also answer alot of questions about Margarito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well lets be smart boxing fans and all answer this question on July 15th.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PW is another hungry dangerous young fighter Tony is taking on. He has yet to face a high level of competition but looking at his physical attributes alone,he is a nightmare for any WW.

However,I still favour Margarito.His experience and ability to take a punch will be the deciding factors imo.PW,from the 5 or 6 fights I have seen of his,does not use his height or his reach to his advantage. If he tried to do that in this fight,he may win a few rounds but ultimately,the fight will end up being a war and I think Tony wins either via UD or a late stoppage.

It'll be a tough fight no doubt and I can see some fans saying PW was too green,etc etc BS. The same thing happened with Cintron yet since Margarito beat him,he has gone on to become a world champion. I envisage the same thing happening with PW. Apart from Cotto,I don't see anyone else being able to handle Williams. Even Mosley would have big trouble with his style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ...Sharmba really nailed him with some good punches though....Paul doesn't use ANY defense
    Paul’s offense is his defense mate , that man puts em together in bunches , is very fast, an opponent is not safe up close , or at a distance against him . I like to see a tall fighters with the ability to infight as well as full extension . Margarito is much the same, just much slower, as for Tony , I like his grit and determination factor , can get a fighter through some tough times , Margarito fights hard to the final bell , these are excellent qualities to have. this match should be fire works!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his nickname should have been "the snake" because he is long and thin just like a snake. "Garden hose" would have worked just as well.

Thread Information