Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Paul Williams?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What do you think of Paul Williams?

I'm having a hard time seeing him as some kind of a monster.

Just because he's got incredible size doesn't mean he's some kind of new Tommy Hearns. He doesn't really use his size for one thing, he doesn't always keep distance. He's not bad on the inside but that's not really where he should be.

He seems easy to hit to me. I'm still not sure about his chin although it seems alright so far. It needs to be allright cause he's gonna be hit a lot by guys like Margarito, Cotto, etc.

He can't punch worth a shit. Ok maybe that's an exagerrated statement but he's definitely not a new Hearns in that category. Watching his fight with that Pakau guy, I was amazed at the punches he could take from Williams without going down. He's a guy that stops people late on accumulation of punches just cause he throws so much, I really don't see him as a heavy handed puncher.

And I always question a guy who's been brought along as slowly as Williams. People talk about Margarito not fighting anybody, Williams really hasn't fought anybody. Matthysse was a cashier making some extra money, Sharmba was shot. Terrence Cauthen's the most boring fighter to ever live.

I don't know, I mean there are things to like about him. Obviously the size, he's pretty quick, throws a lot of punches, and seems to like to fight. But I still am not convinced. I definitely don't rate Margarito as high as some people like El Gamo do but I'm favoring him against Williams. I think Williams looks good early, starts to take a beating mid to late and then gets hammered in the 10th round or so.

Obviously I'm not as high on the guy as a lot of people are, even though I like to watch him fight. What do you think about him, even about the Margarito fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of Paul Williams?

Well, the guy doesn't lack for confidence, that's for sure. He's been training down here in Puerto Rico for his upcoming fight with Margarito, and he was quoted in the local paper as saying that Margarito wouldn't last past the sixth round. He is 6 foot 2, which is damn tall for a welterweight, sort of like Hearns in his heyday. Not making a comparison, of course. So we'll see soon enough if Williams is for real, or if he's just spouting off at the mouth like many other wannabes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams is very similar to Hearns in some ways... both were freakishly tall welterweights who if they utilized their reach advantage would be very difficult to beat (even more than they are or were now) but like to fight and get at the opponent. But Williams doesn't seem to posess Hearns' power. He will be a good fighter but will never be great unless he starts to use his height better. If you don't belive my theory look how Hearns boxed the first 13 rounds against Leonard.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Shaw
    Williams is very similar to Hearns in some ways... both were freakishly tall welterweights who if they utilized their reach advantage would be very difficult to beat (even more than they are or were now) but like to fight and get at the opponent. But Williams doesn't seem to posess Hearns' power. He will be a good fighter but will never be great unless he starts to use his height better. If you don't belive my theory look how Hearns boxed the first 13 rounds against Leonard.
    I think Hearns was smarter though, and would use his reach better at times, especially if he needed to. Plus he was just more skilled, better balance, etc, just a better boxer than Williams.

But he could get better at things like that, power on the other hand, I don't think Williams has anywhere near Hearns' power. Not even in the same ballpark, just not even comparable.

I see the comparison between the two boiling down to mainly just the size, other than that I dont' see them as similar fighters.

And as to TitoFan's post, I would be shocked if he stopped Margarito in less than six. I wouldn't be shocked that much if he won, but I don't see him stopping him early.

El Kabong Guest

He's good he's big he's quick, powerful...but he gets hit too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he is ripe for an in ring education once he steps in with a top caliber fighter. He has potential but he has yet to be brought to the next level.

Antonio Margarito will answer those questions for us I suppose

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As long as Mayweather ain't at 147, it's a battle between Williams and Cotto for the top spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, Williams is the Real Hitman of the 21st Century, rangy, strong and effective as Hearns was at 147 pounds. He would give plenty of trouble to Mosley, he would surely beat Cintron, he would outbox easily Miguel Cotto but happens that he'll be fighting Tony, the 5'11'' tall pressure fighter, body snatcher, puncher from Tijuana, Baja California and I guess he's too vulnerable to the in-fighting, swinging motion and relentless aggression Margarito will display- styles make fights and Paul chose the worst, the toughest welter, may well be punished himself by a Tornado like Performance.

El Kabong Guest

I think Cotto would beat almost anyone at 147....this includes Mayweather. Miguel is damn tough and could do damage to anyone with his body attack

Williams lets people too close to him and like Diego Corrales, fights on the inside eventhough he has height and reach advantages over pretty much everyone

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
    Yeah, Williams is the Real Hitman of the 21st Century, rangy, strong and effective as Hearns was at 147 pounds. He would give plenty of trouble to Mosley, he would surely beat Cintron, he would outbox easily Miguel Cotto but happens that he'll be fighting Tony, the 5'11'' tall pressure fighter, body snatcher, puncher from Tijuana, Baja California and I guess he's too vulnerable to the in-fighting, swinging motion and relentless aggression Margarito will display- styles make fights and Paul chose the worst, the toughest welter, may well be punished himself by a Tornado like Performance.
    wow, now I definitely don't see that. I don't see this boxing skill that he would use to easily outbox Cotto. He seems pretty easy to hit to me, pretty sloppy at times, and that long skinny body would take a nasty beating from Cotto. I'd put large amounts of money on the fact that Williams wouldn't make it 12 with Cotto, he's had nothing to prepare himself for that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't like him much at all, ridiciously skinny he makes Diego Coralles look buff.

I personally fully expect Margarito to brutalise him. It will go to the late rounds, maybe he'll even survive all I know is that the next day everybody will be praising Williams' 'heart' for taking such a beating but still insisting that Margarito is a bum

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I don't like him much at all, ridiciously skinny he makes Diego Coralles look buff.

I personally fully expect Margarito to brutalise him. It will go to the late rounds, maybe he'll even survive all I know is that the next day everybody will be praising Williams' 'heart' for taking such a beating but still insisting that Margarito is a bum
    I pretty much see that but it will be another Cintron deal. People are not going to give Margarito any credit because Williams is a bum, never fought anybody, was overrated.

Which I can't really disagree with, I don't think Williams is that good, and he really hasn't fought anybody. But most of the people saying it will be people who've hyped him up, people that think he'll handle Margarito easily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess all will be revealed in the Margarito fight.

El Kabong Guest

....I used to think he would destroy Margarito but now I don't see it that way

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

I pretty much see that but it will be another Cintron deal. People are not going to give Margarito any credit because Williams is a bum, never fought anybody, was overrated.

Which I can't really disagree with, I don't think Williams is that good, and he really hasn't fought anybody. But most of the people saying it will be people who've hyped him up, people that think he'll handle Margarito easily
    Williams is a much better fighter than Cintron was. Cintron was way in over his head when he fought Margarito. I don't think much of Margarito. But if he beats Williams, I'll give him his credit.

Thread Information