Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default stance question?

Is there two distinct stances? One for infighting and on for fighting on the outside because i find the need to square up more on the inside with my feet about 10 and 4 on a clock face,i find it better for throwing hooks and body shots,wheras if im fighting at more long range i tend to favour a more narrow stance to present a smaller target area,say about 11 and 5 on a clock face and i find this good for straight punches and getting power in the right cross but not good for throwing hooks and uppercuts.So i guess what im asking is it better to work on both styles or find which style suits best and stick to it or find an inbetween to get the best of both worlds? and also should i aim to hit the exact same spot with my left jab and straight right?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: stance question?

Yes Yes and Yes youre on the right lines, Ilike your clock youve got it right now get the timing right when and when not to. cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep CC cocobeware and Scrap - that made a few things much clearer for me
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

learning to make adjustments is crucial in boxing. all the top level fighters are very good at it. you do not want to be predictable. you want to change things up from round to round , so your opponent does not get your timing down .

unless your selling something , thus want him to get comfortable. then show him he bought more then he expected .

Learn all that you can and use it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It also depends on what stance your starting at.
    If your using a Fraziers Gym/Philly spread stance,you need to make little adjustments coming in its what its designed for,a more traditional cat-stance,slight adjustments need to be made coming in,if your doing jab hand low/power hand high,clinch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

which of the fighters around at the moment do you guys think would be a good example of an orthodox stance who i could watch? I quite enjoy watching guys like shane mosley,mayweather but they can be a bit slick for a novice like me to learn from but i also really like watching some of the mecican fighters like chavez and barrera i love that style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware
    which of the fighters around at the moment do you guys think would be a good example of an orthodox stance who i could watch? I quite enjoy watching guys like shane mosley,mayweather but they can be a bit slick for a novice like me to learn from but i also really like watching some of the mecican fighters like chavez and barrera i love that style
    Most of the bigger Heavyweights are very orthodox,a great example of Philly spread,Hopkins 5th fight is on You Tube
    Note Hopkins hasnt fought like this in years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Know any good examples of smaller fighters? I find it hard to relate to a lot of the larger fighters. As a midget I like to see what other midgets can do too - I'm a bit biased I'm afraid - can't grow any bigger so need idols/mentors my own size
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Know any good examples of smaller fighters? I find it hard to relate to a lot of the larger fighters. As a midget I like to see what other midgets can do too - I'm a bit biased I'm afraid - can't grow any bigger so need idols/mentors my own size
    Like I said,it was Bhop around fight 5 so its a smaller middleweight version thereof
    That Philly spread,is good for generating balanced power,and weaving in,but overall I like orthodox better
    Heres the fight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7C8p1FLGM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All good thanks heaps CC Monkey - I'll watch it when things are a little quieter around here - having your desk in a corridor has it's disadvantages - harder to sneak peaks at this kind of thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer Monkey sorry for being a dumb ass but i cannot tell the difference between hopkins stance in the clip and a normal orthadox stance,could you perhaps point out the differences so i can watch the clip again and know what to look out for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware
    Trainer Monkey sorry for being a dumb a** but i cannot tell the difference between hopkins stance in the clip and a normal orthadox stance,could you perhaps point out the differences so i can watch the clip again and know what to look out for...
    If you look,youll see his body his more square to his opponent,and both hands stay near the face,it presents a wider target,but gives better balance to weave in,and creates a more powerful hook
    A more orthodox style would be to have the body in more of a straight line cat stance,with one hand high to protect the head(jab hand) and one low to protect the body(power)
    He switches in to orthodox on occaision,but he's doing his best work from the spread,any Frazier fight is also a good example,but Sharla was looking for an example with a smaller fighter
    Anyone want to die of shock that he was training at Fraziers at the time?

Thread Information