Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default turning the jab over

Just finished a heavy bag session and i noticed something...Latley when i have been watching clips of some of the top fighters like mayweather and cotto on the mits and on the bag when they jab i noticed they didnt seem to be turning it over fully,instead of a quarter turn of the wrist so that the fist was horizontal at the end part it looked like about half that infact unless you look really closeley it was like they werent turning it over at all,but i think that maybee it just looks like that coz the twist comes right at the last minute So anyways i tried it out on the bag just giving it a litle turn of the wrist only about half as much as i used to and i was getting a lot more power,I also think that i was turning the wrist over a little too early and perhaps exagerating it a little before because sometimes i was feeling a slight niggle in my elbow so i was just concentrating on turning it as i was making contact with the bag so that the twist came as i was punching through the target and i was getting great power.Does anyone else do this?Should it be a full quarter turn of the wrist so that palm is facing down or is a smaller twist ok or perhaps i was just turning the fist over too early before.Anyway sorry about the long post about such a little thing but i would be gratefull if someone could shed some light,if you can make sense of my ramblings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: turning the jab over

Your turning it over too soon
    Its the snap of turning it over that generates power
    Watch a prime Larry Holmes fight
    It looks like he has two different jabs a pawing one and a power one
    He doesnt,what happens is if he realises the shots not going to land he doesnt drive it,but just uses it as an annoyance to keep the guy off him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep thats definatley right i was turning it over too early an loosing the snap at the end of the punch so at what point do you think is best to turn it over just as i begin to make contact with the target or should it allready be turning over a bit by then? and would assume the same thing goes for the right cross...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware
    Yep thats definatley right i was turning it over too early an loosing the snap at the end of the punch so at what point do you think is best to turn it over just as i begin to make contact with the target or should it allready be turning over a bit by then? and would assume the same thing goes for the right cross...
    Thats a matter of finding your range on the bag,you want it to snap over just before it lands,if you wait till its starting to land,the friction on their face will slow down the snap
    What Id recomend is breaking it down to a slow motion thing,some times you learn more by looking at what your doing in slow mo,then just wailing away,and hoping the problem fixes itself

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The last 15% or 4 inch otherwise it restricts the triceps retraction , hindering the elbow movement.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been watching some of these fighters training again and they seem to only rotate the fist about 45 degree instead of 90 degree as i always thought was the correct way and also what about jack dempseys lead left jolt with the vertical fist,didnt he say something about it being more pure that way,perhaps thats the idea behind just rotating it 45 degree so that you get more power yet still get the snap that the rotation gives...Has anyone heard of this before?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seen it done Johnny Prichett British middle champ of the 60s was a great exponnent of it. But the principle of it is a bad habit, If the hand doesnt turn niether does the shoulder. Id rather have my shoulder hitting my chin than his right hand, its good practice. plus it protects the rotator cuff turns the thumb away from damage. Good biomechanics less chance of injury.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the jab is the hardest punch to learn, imo. such a simple thing, yet so difficult to perfect. I don't think I'll ever be happy with mine... it's a life-long learning curve, the jab.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von you are so right its untrue cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could it also be that it depends which knuckles you strike with,I usually try to punch off the last three knuckles of the fist like the way jack dempsey describes with the power line theory,but if i try using just the big two knuckles then it feels ok to turn it over a full 90 degrees,but when i go back to punching with the end three knuckles it feels better just turning over about 45 degree...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find the opposite true, plus it takes the thumb away from injury same with the hook turn at the wrist not the elbow the wrist gives the elbow the angle and contracts the shoulder muscles stopping the shock to the spine and giving oral stability.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HEllo Scrap how are you mate?
    I'll ask
    What is oral stability exactly and its benifits?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Andrea, Its the stability of the head whatever you do its the bodys job first and foremost to maintain its posture without it the body wont work in balance or as it should and not as fast it alters the bodys biomechanics.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andrea eh ? Your picking on my female side today haha !
    Yes I get that now thanks; head balance and its ascociated benifits.

The word oral had me going.
    I have a vivid imagination that can run from anything to do with sex right through to dentistry.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure getting excited about the word oral is strictly a female trait!

Anyway CC fellas - especially for the extra explanation of oral stability and it's relationship with the spine. Makes me wanna double check what i am or am not doing turning my fist!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information