Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I wish boxing had more fans

I'm thankful for sites like this. The fact that there's several boxing forums on the Internet is a sign that at least there still are many boxing fans around the world. I'm happy to see so many members here, and more keep coming all the time.

But boxing gets such a bad rap in other circles, it's a wonder it's been able to survive for so many years. Hopefully, it will survive forever. UFC and all other fighting offshoots are great and all that, but for me, nothing beats a good old fashioned boxing match.

Last night I was wonderfully entertained by an all-out slugfest on Friday Night Fights. It was between two junior welterweights (Patrick Lopez and Fernando Angulo) I'd never heard of before. But man what a fight! These two didn't like each other and it showed. Boy, did they earn their money. It was non-stop action from the opening bell throughout the entire 10 rounds.

This is what boxing needs, to attract even more fans. I've loved boxing for a great many years, and hope the sport continues to flourish for many, many more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I wish boxing had more fans

Well on a plus note,I think its picking up
    Yahoo used to have it in the "Other Sports" category,now its front page

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Well on a plus note,I think its picking up
    Yahoo used to have it in the "Other Sports" category,now its front page
    Agreed... that is a good sign. Hopefully others will follow suit. Hopefully Fox Sports will promote it from the "More" tab on their main sports toolbar, and give it a tab of its own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish we had more fans too, you can't talk to anyone about it in the UK, it is all god damn football which i know nothing about , the average person might remember Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank, and know Ricky Hatton a bit, but thats about it.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Poom
    I wish we had more fans too, you can't talk to anyone about it in the UK, it is all god damn football which i know nothing about , the average person might remember Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank, and know Ricky Hatton a bit, but thats about it.
    Wow, that's surprising, considering the UK has such a rich boxing history. In a way it is similar in the States, where the average fan can rattle off every player on the roster of any NFL (American football) team, but would be hard pressed to name even one current boxing world champion. Depressing, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is beginning to flourish more and more lately. A lot of it losing mainstream coverage had to do with who was running the show. Don King, Bob Arum were involved in 85% of all fights. They were making horrible fights and promoting garbage cards. People began to get bored with it all.

Now that the other promoters are getting more recognition and GBP is really doing wonders fopr the sport in my opinion. They put a good image on boxing. an image that attracts more casual fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Princess
    Boxing is beginning to flourish more and more lately. A lot of it losing mainstream coverage had to do with who was running the show. Don King, Bob Arum were involved in 85% of all fights. They were making horrible fights and promoting garbage cards. People began to get bored with it all.

Now that the other promoters are getting more recognition and GBP is really doing wonders fopr the sport in my opinion. They put a good image on boxing. an image that attracts more casual fans
    Theres a lot of truth to it,King can be incredibly short sighted when he gets his claws in to a champ,looking at the immediate pay day,and not the long term future of the sport(he reminds me of a certain British promoter)with the rise of numerous other promoters,it does seem like the big fights have been happening more often

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don King may have been good for boxing a LONG TIME AGO, but for the longest time he's been nothing but a blood-sucking, sleazy promoter, who has gotten rich off the poor bastards that have been unfortunate enough to have signed contracts with him.

His time has been over for a long time, and if GBP (and others like it) is going to improve boxing and bring more fans to the sport, I will personally roll out the welcome mat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One champion should be in one division

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a perfect world I'd like to see a lot more fights in the hands of local promoters like it used to be here in the USA. That would give more opportunities for the up and coming fighter. Somemore talent would be a big help.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hardly anyone in England knows much about boxing,especially where I am from. Guys like Big H and most of the other British guys here know their stuff but from some reason,I cannot find anyone in my area that knows a thing about boxing (other than the usual: Hamed,Tyson,Lewis etc). I'll ask them if they saw Cotto's fight and they have no idea who I am talking about

I honestly believe the internet helps keep boxing healthy because promotion wise,I would only know about the big names. The internet has allowed me to see fighters/fights I would never ever have seen before. And the forums/forum members/knowledgeable writers have helped me too. I think better match making and better promoting would make more fans. Imagine if Vazquez-Rafa,Pantera Pavlik,Cotto-Judah etc etc would have been more mainstream? I'm sure they would have attracted more fans/more interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In thr U.K i have no-one to talk about Boxing with outside this site

Thread Information