Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone Else notice a little bit of Lennox Lewis in Wlad Last Night?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did anyone Else notice a little bit of Lennox Lewis in Wlad Last Night?

I don't know if anyone noticed certain things Wlad did last night that were almost right out of Lennox Lewis text book (Or Manny Steward depends on how you look at it).

The jab- At times Wlad would keep it out there a little too long like Lennox did when getting ready to deliver the big shot.

On the inside- Wlad would push down on Brewster just like Lewis used to do on his opponents. to the point Brewster had to go on a knee.

I am not saying it is an exact copy but I see the simularities on certain things even footwork. Lennox used to take that two step back and bounce up and down a couple of times before he ste again so he was ready to unload the second the ref stepped out of the way during breaks. Wlad also did that a few times. in the fight.

These are all things that Wlad is slowly adding to his style.

Maybe it is just me??

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did anyone Else notice a little bit of Lennox Lewis in Wlad Last Night?

What round?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did anyone Else notice a little bit of Lennox Lewis in Wlad Last Night?

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    What round?

He was keeping the jab hand out a few times during the fight. I forget what round Brewster had to take the knee due to Wlad leaning on him 4th or 5th.

Lennox used to lean on his guys all the time if they bent over.

The part with the foot work was in 5th once he knew he had the fight and was just doing his thing.

Like I said it is not like he is becoming a carbon copy just a few things that reminded me of Lewis.

Was just curious if anyone else noticed it or was it just me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh they are an item now..

Did nobody tell you?
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad used the jab and kept his distance as instructed by Manny Steward, Steward knows Wlad has a glass jaw but Brewster was a disgrace getting in the ring and giving a non effort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It will be alot down to the fact Manny trained the both and likes them to fight the same sort of way..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Wlad focuses more on his jab. Because LEwis was quicker it was easier for him to throw combinations, and use that right cross, but they are definitely two peas in a pod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob
    Wlad used the jab and kept his distance as instructed by Manny Steward, Steward knows Wlad has a glass jaw but Brewster was a disgrace getting in the ring and giving a non effort.

I do not think that Wlad's jaw is as bad as many make it out to be.

First Brewster fight he ran out of gas

Sanders is a power/was a power puncher that is capable of KO'ing anyone

Ross Purity was so long ago it doesn't matter

Wlad managed to get up 3 times against one of the hardest hitters in all of boxing let alone the heavyweight division in Sam Peter so Wlad's jaw is not that bad really when you think about it

El Kabong Guest

The uppercut when Brewster was in the ropes was similar to what lennox used to do....I am waiting for the day where Wlad hooks the back of the neck and uppercuts the fighter into submission.

[youtube=425,350]4XN9FrlLIt0[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Princess
    I don't know if anyone noticed certain things Wlad did last night that were almost right out of Lennox Lewis text book (Or Manny Steward depends on how you look at it).

The jab- At times Wlad would keep it out there a little too long like Lennox did when getting ready to deliver the big shot.

On the inside- Wlad would push down on Brewster just like Lewis used to do on his opponents. to the point Brewster had to go on a knee.

I am not saying it is an exact copy but I see the simularities on certain things even footwork. Lennox used to take that two step back and bounce up and down a couple of times before he ste again so he was ready to unload the second the ref stepped out of the way during breaks. Wlad also did that a few times. in the fight.

Maybe it is just me??
    big guy weak chin style. Jab jab jab and then counter with the right when the guy takes a chance to punch. It is a good strategy to win. Lennox was a better fighter than Vlad.. Alot better. comparing them is something HBO is doing. But Lennox was better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was more like there was a bit of Stevie Wonder in Lamon Brewster.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65

Maybe it is just me??
    big guy weak chin style. Jab jab jab and then counter with the right when the guy takes a chance to punch. It is a good strategy to win. Lennox was a better fighter than Vlad.. Alot better. comparing them is something HBO is doing. But Lennox was better.

Would never imply that Wlad is as good as Lennox. He has a long way to go before that can be done and needs to beat some more A quality fighters. Lamon Brewster, Calvin Brock and such do not equal Lennox accomplishments. Just noticing some slight simularities is all. Lewis did not peak until he was about 33 or 34 so Wlad has time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe it is just me??

Would never imply that Wlad is as good as Lennox. He has a long way to go before that can be done and needs to beat some more A quality fighters. Lamon Brewster, Calvin Brock and such do not equal Lennox accomplishments. Just noticing some slight simularities is all. Lewis did not peak until he was about 33 or 34 so Wlad has time

Isn't it possible for a fighter to be as good as another even thought he has faced a different kind of opponent?I mean he will never be able to face the same guys that Lewis did unless he went back in time but against the common opponents he has faired better than Lewis did against Mercer(Wlad TKO in 6 and Lewis MD in 10) and Phil Jackson(Wlad KO in 2 Lewis KO in I know you will say they were both older but still he did stop them a lot sooner and more convincingly.Also Wladimir is still improving and is only 31.Lewis only had 30 fights by the time he was 31 Wladimir has 52!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Klitschkofan

Maybe it is just me??

Isn't it possible for a fighter to be as good as another even thought he has faced a different kind of opponent?I mean he will never be able to face the same guys that Lewis did unless he went back in time but against the common opponents he has faired better than Lewis did against Mercer(Wlad TKO in 6 and Lewis MD in 10) and Phil Jackson(Wlad KO in 2 Lewis KO in I know you will say they were both older but still he did stop them a lot sooner and more convincingly.Also Wladimir is still improving and is only 31.Lewis only had 30 fights by the time he was 31 Wladimir has 52!
    Well of course we will say that Jackson and Mercer were way past there prime and i mean way way past there prime Wlad isn't as good as Lewis skill wise or in accomplishments so far.

El Kabong Guest

Lewis was more consistant over his whole career, the bumps Wlad's career has suffered bring up more questions than Lewis'.

Lewis' losses
    McCall - Lucky punch
    Rahman - didn't train seriously while filming Ocean's 11

Purritty - ran out of gas
    Sanders - I seriously think he was disappointed he didn't get the shot vs Lewis and Corrie caught him off guard
    Brewster - gassed out

Wladimir can be a great champion now if he continues his success for 3-4 more years, and I don't see why he shouldn't.

But right now I wouldn't put him ahead of Lewis as he has only 1 seriously dangerous big time fight on his resume and that was vs Sam Peter....granted he beat the crap out of Byrd TWICE and beat some other guys that are very good but Sam Peter can compare to Lewis' fights vs guys like Holyfield and Tyson.

Wlad is right on track to be as good as Lewis was in skill in his prime....and his accomplishments are still coming along

Thread Information