Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Stylistic issues

Right so here is my dilema

I can box, Im not a great boxer but im not terrible when i try hard enough..

I so badly want to work on my boxing and develop what ideally would be a slick style and do more counter punching..

But what ive done for the most part and i seem to be 'best at' is bieng a puncher, going after people and trading shots..

I can take punches well but i would much rather not if you get my idea..

Most of my sparring partners are either lighter and quicker amatuer fighhters who are undoubtedly great fighters..

Or pros that are just so good that you have to think about every punch you throw or you'll get a nasty counter punch.. Which just ends up in three minutes of constant slipping feiting jabs and body punches on my side and alot of covering up..

I think one of my main flaws is that i just cant seem to work the jab right ..

If i do try to box i usually flck out a few jabs, two or three at a time, parry away incoming jabs.. fient and try strait punches and then every time i finish i try to begin to circle to my right again and get away from right hands..

but when i do this all i get is my partner staying close and giving me no room so when i go to the ropes or start getting hit i just stand and trade again.. Its near impossible to keep lads off me because of my lack of power in the jab..

I suppose the question is.. Are there any specific tips i can use to help me when i want to box concerning my jab movement and counter punching..

Its hard to explain but i will try elaborate as conversation begins to flow

Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Stylistic issues

A bunch of things here
    Try changing the directions of your shifts,sounds like your being timed,also try bobbing more
    Also try working on slipping,by not moving from your post,make your trainer throw at you,and stay put,but move your head and your shoulders to get out of the way,or just blocking and countering

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Youre problem seems to me to be that your coaches or lack of coaching is changeing something you dont want changeing your pscyhcodinamics. the results of there input decides your output Pscyhcolegy generates your actions. While in limbo as you are with the direction you are going isnt the best of situations and it sounds like they havant a clue either.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It could be the trainers..

I wouldnt say i have a specific trainer..

Just a couple of trainers who give helping hands and advice here and there when you spar

I think what im gona start doing is scrapping my circuits on certain nights and getting in full nights of sparring and do a fair bit of light sparring with some of the lads about my size but without the experiance..

Then once im in with them ive got no excuse not to box..

Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito how many fights you had now

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just the one scrap

That was a year ago when i rushed myself into it and wasnt in particularly good shape and wasnt particularly experianced etc

Since then ive sparred loads week in week out with good amatuers and pro's and really built myself into a fighter i can be happy with, but im still finding my feet as far as style etc goes i suppose..
    Because as before im comfortable sparring all the top guys at the gym etc but now ive grown as a fighter and no one takes it easy on me like they do when your growing as a fighter im just beginning to develope into what i want to be and putting my finishing touches in

Problem is i suppose no one has really said what in particular im especially good at and where i should go with what i made for myself..

I get props all the time because i can hit and i can trade and im pretty vicious in sparring, but at the same time i dont get wild and i always keep pretty good footwork and stick to my own style unlike a lot of other young fighters
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive got to pop down to your gym one day and have a look at whats going on, havent seen that lot for a few years be nice to see old freinds it is Lincoln youre at with Olly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aye Bracebridge ABC Lincoln

Sounds good scrap
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you heavy on your feet as in ; a (walker stalker style of fighter that holds his ground plants himself and really sits on his punches) or do you consiousley make your head move to where you want it to be with a lighter footwork ,slight knee bends in close or slight hip,spine or foot shifts as you move or bending lower as you freely move out to the side.

Being able to do both is the real key to freedom and when a balance between the two is reached comfortably without pre thought then your natural style utilizles what you've learned ,flowing into the other guys rythems so you can then interupt or intercept him at will in your style.

EG; Alot of people will do a head or body shift and plant themselves and counter instantly.
    This you can see in some peoples styles and they are easily read because they dont go that one stage further.

Where as to shift bodily and have your footwork lightly moving under you as well, takes you out into new ground and creates different angles that cant be read and re read as easily.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Youre problem seems to me to be that your coaches or lack of coaching is changeing something you dont want changeing your pscyhcodinamics. the results of there input decides your output Pscyhcolegy generates your actions. While in limbo as you are with the direction you are going isnt the best of situations and it sounds like they havant a clue either.
    Hey Scrap, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them. How does psychodynamics play a part in boxing? You've said that this affects our actions and the way we move. I don't realy know much about it besides that goes over human behavior, genetics and reacting to the environment.

I have another question that I'm more interested in the answer. I've read in one of your previous posts that you said that the psychodynamics in the sport is changing, and therefore fighters of today are different than fighters from years ago. I know a lot of guys and myself included that study the fighters that we see on tapes and try to emulate them, I'm just curious on how psychdynamics plays a part in this.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For every action theres a reaction depending on your Pschcology and mind set of memory in whatever you have learned you will react accordingly Your behavior patters are shaped through genetics and more I feel by enviorement, the saying hard times breed hard men comes to mind. Soldier Sailor or Candle stickmaker who would tou take to war or why. Whose got the mindsett for battle and the pschcology and understanding of hand to hand combat. Just look at the people that made it in Boxing Hard men who could think under pressure for themselves, look at History good fighters came from the opressed peoples never the wealthy. They had a hole to get out off and many did without sponsership, they did it because of want. Hardship breeds clarity and single mindedness I dont see to much of it now, theres to many easy options. Today we have to many choices or should I say excuses. My highlight of the week use to be being in Jack kid Bergs company and listening to his tails. He was the strongest 75 yearold Ive ever known, I wouldnt have fancied it even then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for that read Scrap, cc
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB

Problem is i suppose no one has really said what in particular I'm especially good at and where i should go with what i made for myself..
    I can relate to this. Perhaps it's a bit weak because I've always had food on my plate and a roof over my head so I may be prone to the kind of weakness Scrap is talking about.

Anyway, while I recognize I need to kick myself up the butt sometimes and just focus more, I do find I relate to the kind of coaching where they will say this needs to change but you're on the right track here. When all you hear is "don't do that" you begin to forget whether or not you do anything right and maybe overthink things. You spend all your sparring thinking "don't do that or that or that" and become robotic.

Especially as a relative beginner it's easy to lack confidence in what you do and loose creativity.

I've videod my sparring and as soon as I can resolve some technical difficulties downloading it to the computer I'm going to post it for some more opinions. I think just watching it will help too.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes you have to forget everything you been taught for your wings to grow.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Andre - Can't wait to get my wings have your CCs reset?!?! i don't understand your rating!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information