Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default correct punching range??

I appolagize in advance for all the questions but i do seem to be full of them this week So here goes...How can you determine when you are in proper punching range so that you are not over reaching with youre punches with being too far or smothering your punches by being too close and also what would you class as long range mid range and close range by that i mean say for instance at long range i can land the jab and the right cross but am too far away to land a hook or uppercut,at mid range i can land any punch and at close range i can land hooks and uppercuts but am too close to throw straight punches....does that sound about right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: correct punching range??

Depends on your fighting stance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry i mean in youre orthodox fighting stance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware
    sorry i mean in youre orthodox fighting stance...
    Go work nothing but you jab on the bag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes you can paw with the jab to find your range..Although you must be careful with it not to be countered..

And if you just throw out a jab to see how close you can get to an opponent and step in with the jab then you will find the jab

then the rest will come easyer with the jab
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    Sometimes you can paw with the jab to find your range..Although you must be careful with it not to be countered..

And if you just throw out a jab to see how close you can get to an opponent and step in with the jab then you will find the jab

NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    Spend the time on the bag to learn your range

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The correct punching range The answer is there isnt one its all adjustment to whats on offer
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey

NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    tell that to RJJ. lol. His jab was almost purely for range finding. I know, I know... we're not RJJs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    The correct punching range The answer is there isnt one its all adjustment to whats on offer
    Right on Scrap.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

about this dont paw with the jab stuff...i think it should be mentioned that if you are confident in doing it, and you are aware enough of the risk and reward, there is really nothing wrong with it. i am a southpaw and my range with my right hand is my strong point, i dont need to paw to find range, i paw to get the other dudes hands moving and voila, openings are made. its no different than any other tactic of baiting your opponent, you just gotta know you are doing it and have the proper response plan. so dont necessarily assume its a bad thing. i knocked a dude out that outweighed me by 60 pounds with 18 oz. gloves and headgear on simply because of pawing and drawing.

as far as finding your range. dont even use the heavy bag, use the double end bag. just jab it all day until you feel you know what it's doing, then step away from it further and jab from long range, then close the gap and jab from close in when it is going away from you...much more practical range finder than the heavy bag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're going to paw you should be very reserved about it, even if you're using it to draw an opponent in. A lot of guys that keep their arm out there are running that risk of being set up.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

of course...boxing is a sequence of events, actions and reactions and more actions. saying that you should be reserved about pawing is like saying you should be reserved about throwing right hands because you run the risk of being set up, or you should be reserved about circling left because you run the risk of being set up, or you should be reserved about the rock-1-2-1 because you "should never pull away from punches"...there are a lot of things in boxing that get taught as just universally bad, and nothing is universally bad, fighters do things differently and it is up to the trainer and the fighter to find these things and shape the individuals style out of it. i remember when jason litzau got knocked out and people said "maybe now he'll learn to keep his hands up" and his supporters said "you've never seen anyone get knocked out with their hands up before?" you trying to set me up by letting me paw is no different than me setting you up by pawing so that you will try to fire a few bombs my way. its just a different link in the chain of events.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good thinking space, Iknow of akid who boxed with his hands down was 22 and 0 changed trainers got his hands up his next 2 fights got KOd in the !st both times cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    i know i know..Most trainers hate that! Lol..I do understand the consequences of it though..

Dont make a habit of it.. But if your confident you can take punches and your trying to find range its a neccessary evil sometimes :P
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash

NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    tell that to RJJ. lol. His jab was almost purely for range finding. I know, I know... we're not RJJs.
    Wanna try dancing back with your hands down?
    Ali did that all the time

Thread Information