Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What if Ali had not existed?

What if Ali had not existed? Liston would have been champion longer maybe not long enough to hand the torch to Frazier, who would have created a better legacy until he ran into Foreman, who would have been champion until he lost to Jimmy Young. I bet Foreman would have also fought Holmes which would have been an excellent fight which I think at that time Foreman would have lost.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Default Re: What if Ali had not existed?

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    What if Ali had not existed? Liston would have been champion longer maybe not long enough to hand the torch to Frazier, who would have created a better legacy until he ran into Foreman, who would have been champion until he lost to Jimmy Young. I bet Foreman would have also fought Holmes which would have been an excellent fight which I think at that time Foreman would have lost.
    Umm good question Liston would of reigned along time Frazier would of ended up the same losing to Foreman twice then retiring Foreman would of beat Jimmy Young i believe prime Foreman would and Holmes and Foreman would of fought god knows who would of won that and i believe Holmes would of been less underrated if Ali had not existed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to imagine isnt it?
    Doubt Liston would have made it to Frazier,the Leotis Martin loss proves that
    Be interesting to surmise who would have gotten him though?
    Foley,Chuvallo,Williams,Terrell?

El Kabong Guest

Foreman wouldn't have lost to Young IMO had he not lost to Ali previously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Part of what makes the topic interesting
    Do Foreman and Listons later losses have something to do with Ali destroying the air of invincibility they both had

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tyson and jones would eb the greatest beacuse theu wouldnt ahve to fill alis shoes

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    tyson and jones would eb the greatest beacuse theu wouldnt ahve to fill alis shoes
    Jones

Forgetting Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano are we??

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    I don't understand this at all how would Jones be greatest hw ??

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I think this to because Foreman was too safe in first few rounds against Young and thats what cost him the decision.

El Kabong Guest

Foreman would also be considered THE GREATEST as he would fight everyone who was anyone and beat them up until Holmes comes along and hell he could beat Holmes too but George was a tad self destructive before he found Jesus so maybe he ends up doing the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ali had not existed boxing as an entertainment aspect would not be as good...Trash talk ring entrances ect...He was the pioneer....

That and Joe Louis would be considered the greatest HW of all time
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRL would have picked up some of the slack, but I think Ali was a one in a million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters could actually be credited for what they did/do. Up until ali came around you couldn't say that one era was better than another. You just had to figure that each era's champs fought who was there and that was that, there was never a measuring stick like him around before. Joe Louis dominated as did the champs before him but no one ever tryed to claim that they were the best. Ali brought trash talking and the other era's into perspective like they hadn't been before. Now you have to look back and say is ____ really as good as foreman/frazier was? Was their competition really THAT good?

A lot of people try to maintain the argument that everyone can only fight those who are available to them and that era's shouldn't be compared like that but because of ali, i don't think its possible. I mean in every era you're gonna have your fast guys (patterson, tillis, byrd, ali), your power guys (Foreman, louis, tyson, vitali), your brawlers (brewster, marciano, liston, frazier) but now you'll get the line "How can you possibly compare them to each other?". Without him they'd still be compared, but we wouldn't be calling former heavyweight champions (abc belts or not) bums. He set the standard for any era, and thats something that was never done before.

It's a good thing (even tho it doesn't sound like it) because it has set boxing a place in history that it can never lose simply because no athlete has ever transcended their sport more than ali did. Yeah jordan was huge and still is but jordan is an american icon and not a global one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only good thing that stands out if there was never an ali is that we wouldn't have to hear from his daughter anymore...some of you here know that there are almost no fighters i dislike but layla ali and ruiz are two that would be on that list if i had to come up with one...
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there wouldnt been as much quotes

i think srr be recongnized in the general public

its to hard to imagine

Thread Information