Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default stance again...

Well i learned two things today number one i need to get back to a gym because no matter how much i try nothing beats an experienced pair of eyes watching over you to spot any mistakes you make and correct them right away and number two sometimes i have a tendency to keep too much weight on the front leg,I knew something wasn't right but i wasnt till today i realized that was it so i actually remembered the clinton woods video clip and specificaly the part about leaning back slightly in the stance so i tried that and it seemed to work but it did feel a bit awkward.So my question is this the correct way to stand and also what is the reasoning behind it as before i thought it was too put the weight on the back foot so that you were ready to step with the jab so i never bothered with it as i always thought it would be better to have weight evenly spread.Or does anyone know of any balance drills i could use to help and what is the ideal height to have the back heel raised off the floor 2 inches
    As always i am greatfull for any advice you can give...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: stance again...

You want to be somewhat balanced, you should still have weight on your front leg, but in general you're supposed to keep more weight on your back leg. Your front leg is direction, and your rear leg is the driving force. Shift your weight over to your front leg when you want to throw a right hand, shift it to your rear leg if you are throwing with your left. Make sure that you don't lead with your head, I mean don't reach with your punches and put your weight on your front leg. If you keep most of your weight on your front leg, it'll be harder to move, take away your punching power, and make you prone to a bad ko.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch where your head is,in relation to your knees
    If you go past them,youve gone past your center of balance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also generally speaking when you're stepping forward don't move your front leg first. This will make you clumbsy and can but you off balance. You get your quick feet from lifting your front leg and pushing off your right.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Also generally speaking when you're stepping forward don't move your front leg first. This will make you clumbsy and can but you off balance. You get your quick feet from lifting your front leg and pushing off your right.
    To add to that,it depends on how you move
    If your up on your toes,the above should be written in stone
    If your flat footed,and more of a stalker,you can go forward with your front,but even there,dont pick it up all the way.Your trying to glide it about an inch over the mat,not picking it up like your walking,that way you can get it back down and reset in an instant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys appreciate your advice! what about clinton woods stance in the clip good or bad and also is 2 inches off the floor good for the back heel? I think mine was way higher before which was probably the cause of the weight on the front foot.Im always trying to watch fighters to try emulate their stance and style but i think it helps if they are about the same weight build height ect,im 5 ft 8" and weigh between140/147lbs so if anyone can reccomend some fighters to watch....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll watch that video some time. I think it's better to have the rear leg's heal slightly up off the ground, because otherwise you're not going to be able to as move quickly if the back foot is flat against the floor. The fighter that I've seen that has the best balance that I've seen is Ray Leonard, he's the epitome of great balance. Because of that among other things he could do things with his feet that were amazing to see.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you go to the thread on fast hands and watch the guy with the head band on. That is the way to get perfect feet, I funnily never mentioned it my thinking is that it was obvious. what in fact hes doing is working on oral stability from the feet. His whole body is in balance, at the time the kid hadnt Boxed, but was a world bronze medalist at Karate. I was trying to change his Biomechnics and did, its a great way of doing it even if I say so myself .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks scrap thats very intresting i might have a go at making one of those,this is the first time i have heard about this oral stability thing but im very intrested,i also remember in a previous post you mentioned some thing about the numbers 636 can you tell me more about this? Or is there any articles online where i could maybee read more about this sort of stuff?

Thread Information