Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default if mike tyson beat buster douglas

he would have taken holyfield seriously and trained-could he have beaten holyfield? and if he beat holyfield he would have had to fight foreman and bowe. so he would have had 2beat holyfield, foreman and bowe to have owned his era. i think he could have beaten holyfield but not foreman and bowe. so i tyson would have remained undefeated for only a couple more fights after douglas anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: if mike tyson beat buster douglas

Quote Originally Posted by undefeated
    he would have taken holyfield seriously and trained-could he have beaten holyfield? and if he beat holyfield he would have had to fight foreman and bowe. so he would have had 2beat holyfield, foreman and bowe to have owned his era. i think he could have beaten holyfield but not foreman and bowe. so i tyson would have remained undefeated for only a couple more fights after douglas anyway
    He was on the decline regardless of if he lost to douglas or not. Holyfield would've beaten him anyway because he wasn't the same guy.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    He was on the decline regardless of if he lost to douglas or not. Holyfield would've beaten him anyway because he wasn't the same guy.
    Agreed even the slow plodding Ruddock managed to wobble and give Tyson a hard fight a prime Holyfield with his crisp combos great stamina and great workrate would beat that version of Tyson im not sure about Foreman because he was bit too slow but who knows the slow Ruddock was able to catch Tyson clean so i dunno and prime Bowe would beat that version of Tyson aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to say with hindsight it's easy but at the time (1992) I would never have picked Holy over Tyson , most probably would've been wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Tyson beats Douglas, then he would have lost to Holyfield. Really, nothing would have changed in the heavyweight division long-term, the only difference would have been that Holyfield would've won the title from Tyson, not Douglas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe Tyson was on the road to destruction regardless, King(thats all I have to say about that), a failed marriage, parting with Rooney and letting King put his clowns in his corner all were part of the downfall.
    http://www.freewebs.com/neutral-corner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too many if's here. One of the biggest ?'s is would he still had fought H.Tillman & A. Stewart in his next 2 fights? The answer to that is=NO. So he may have fought Holy in the next fight & lost that one.

But for the sake of the thread we will just have to use who he did fight. IMO if he would've stood on the self destructive road that he was on after the Douglas fight (if he had won) then it was still only a matter of time to deal him that loss.

Ruddock may have gotten it done but if not,then it would've been Holy. Styles make fights & Holy had Mike's # IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Douglas should have been counted out in round 8. 3 seconds elapsed before the ref started his 10 count. Even the count was slow. That screwup by the ref cost tyson the ko victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    Douglas should have been counted out in round 8. 3 seconds elapsed before the ref started his 10 count. Even the count was slow. That screwup by the ref cost tyson the ko victory.
    And if Richard Steele would've let Meldrick Taylor stand in that corner for the last 2 seconds of his fight with Chavez then he would've won. But he did'nt. He lost by TKO, Plain n simple.

Eveyone on here could go on & on all day about fights that could've should've, would've. But it is what it is. Buster beat Mike in the first half of the fight. Got knocked down then got up & beat up on Mike some more.

Mike was into self destructive living. Alot of the decisions he was making in his personal life did not mix well with being a fighter. It would catch up to anyone & this is the night that it caught him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you guys notice Tyson was talking really slow on espn tonight? Slurred? Or was he drunk?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson was on the slide, he would have got through Holyfield in a thriller, (remember Holyfield used to weigh 205lb then) and probably won the re-match because people would have demanded it. If by some miracle he did beat Holyfied again, he would have beaten Foreman, but definitely lost to Bowe at that time, but if another miracle happened and he KOed Bowe early with a left hook he would have been beaten by Lewis. If somehow he was lucky and landed a freaky punch like McCall did then he would be the luckiest fighter alive and no-body has that much luck. Holyfied would have been there always as he is is still now and would have beaten him at his third attempt and in there fourth fight Tyson would have bitten his ear.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    i just re-watched the fight and i'd say one second MAYBE MAYBE two seconds elapsed, and 2 is a huge stretch from when he was completely on the ground.. even still, Douglas was getting up anyway, even if you take a second away from the count.. I wish i was a little bit older when that fight happened cause it probably would've been one of the most exciting moments in boxing to witness.. The fashion that Douglas won in was just awesome leading to the climax KO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

absolutely not.
    Very Very far fetched.

ICB Guest

I don't think the fading Tyson in early 90s would of beat prime Holyfield with them crisp combos and great workrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson just would have been beaten in his next fight. Fighters of Tyson's dimensions fade quickly e.g Joe Frazier. Tyson was a fading force from 1990 onwards. I could not see Tyson doing anything diffrently after that. Holyfield was always the perfect style to beat Iron Mike. The three things which kept Tyson in the picture after the Douglas loss were his power, his baddest man on the planet tag and the controversy that always followed him allowed him to stay in the spotlight for far too long. Tyson was Great in his day (1985-1989) but after that he was never the same.

Thread Information