Default Re: Gutbuster's Log

8/23

1 mile run
    50 burpees
    100 pushups
    200 situps
    300 squats
    1 mile run

The goal was to not rest at all during the routine. I had some momentary pauses doing the burpees and pushups and got water after the 1st run and before the second, but otherwise didn't stop. My time for the routine was 41:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

8/25
    3 minute rounds, 30 seconds rest
    1 round of jumping jacks
    1 round of burpees
    1 round of pull-ups
    5 or 6 rounds of pad works
    4 rounds on heavy bag
    3 mile run

8/26
    500 situps
    200 pushups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

8/27

7 400-meter sprints with 1 minute rest between each. 80-83 seconds each
    100 pullups
    65 pushups
    *3 minute rounds, 1 minute break
    1 round of mountain climbers
    1 round of squats
    1 round of standing long jumps
    1 round of burpees
    *3 minute rounds, 30 second breaks
    6 or 7 rounds of 1-2's on heavy bags
    15 minutes of partner work
    10 100-meter sprints with 30 seconds rest between each

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man,this is an awesome log.Kep up the work my friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Gamo.

8/30 Update:
    I'm pretty frustrated right now because I got fairly sick the last few days and haven't been able to do anything. I went to a party on Saturday where there were a few people who were getting over bronchitus or something... the weird part is that the party was saturday and I was just feeling like i had a little cold until tuesday when my throat and head got real bad and i got a fever and whatnot. I think maybe the extra workout monday lowered my resistance. I'm mostly over it now though... still congested and coughing some but the fever, sore throat and headache are almost gone. I'm thinking about doing a light workout tonight and then hopefully getting back into things tomorrow. Unfortunately this is right before I go out of town so it'll be hard to get good training in next week too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been slacking on the updates here. I didn't do too much in the past couple of weeks since i was sick and then out of town at the beach. I got some running in on the beach each day but that was about it. I'm not gonna try to remember the workouts I did this week so I'll just pick up with last night. I decided to switch gyms and I'm pretty pumped about the new place. The location is a lot better for me, the price is a lot better, and they have a few pros, some amateurs and some newer people for me to spar with. The two coaches I've met also have lots of boxing experience and seem like they can teach me a lot. The head coach was talking about getting me registered soon so I can get to fighting. At my old place it seemed like i was the most experienced fighter there (with like 6 months now) and I was kind of getting the idea that the owner/coach was going to start me out in pro fights. Plus I was getting no sparring and the only technical work we were doing was jabbing eachothers hands for maybe 10 minutes a couple nights a week. The conditioning was real good though, and I like everyone there so it was a tough decision, but I figure I'm too old to d*** around if I'm gonna get some fights in.

9/13
    (This place does 3 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest, but tonight we worked through the rest periods during the rope and shadowboxing. So 3 rounds of rope is 11 minutes straight rather than 9 with breaks.)
    Loosening up (neck, trunk, knee rotations, etc)
    3 rounds of rope
    2 or 3 rounds shadowboxing
    5 or 6 rounds of pads
    2 round on heavy bag - doing whatever
    1 round punchout to head
    1 round punchout to body
    (i'm going to miss some of these but here are some of what we did at the end)
    10 diamond pushups
    10 pushups
    10 knuckle pushups
    10 wide pushups
    10 finger tip pushups
    10 wrist out pushups
    10 wrist in pushups
    20 leg lifts
    20 lying on back with arms out touching each arm with feet(?)
    20 knee-ins
    20 scissors, 20 leg crosses
    20 crunches
    a few other ab things and some stretching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/14

There was a kickboxing workout scheduled before boxing so I was going to work out with them too and double it up. Unfortunately no one else came for boxing and a few people wanted to sign up at the gym after kickboxing. I worked on the double end bag and jumped rope for 20-30 minutes thinking the trainer would work with me after signing them up but then he said he had to leave soon. The kickboxing workout had some boxing though and was still god cardio and endurance work.

warmup: loosen up, stretch, rope, jumping jacks, shadowboxing - about 10 minutes total
    The we did about 35-40 minutes of different combinations on bags, including kicks, knees and elbows which may be helpful for working on rotation at least.
    Ended with 5 or 6 sets of 10 pushups (wide hands, knuckles, clap, fingertip, regular, wrist) and 6 or 7 ab exercises followed by some stretching
    Next I did the double end and jumped rope as I talked about above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/15
    *3 minute rounds, 30 seconds rest
    loosen up/stretch
    10 minutes rope
    10 minutes shadowboxing
    3 rounds double end
    7 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    50 pushups
    50 crunches
    stretching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/17

stretch/loosen up
    rope
    shadow boxing
    kickboxing bag work for about 40-45 minutes
    pushups/situps
    stretching
    10 minutes rope
    15 minutes double end bag
    about 3 minutes of pad work
    ~30 minutes focusing on footwork for jabs on double-end bag
    stretching

smh... I've been going to kickboxing when its scheduled before boxing for the extra workout but the boxing sessions so far have been pretty sparse... last night the trainer was basically just doing stuff on his computer and calling out instructions now and then... i'm starting to think i made a bad decision switching but at this point i just need to make the best of it.. At least i'm working on endurance and hitting the bag a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/18
    ~5 minutes double end bag
    warmup/ stretch
    Shadowboxing 3 rounds
    ~12 rounds of combination on heavy bags (3 minute rounds, punchouts during 30 second *breaks*)
    various types of pushups and ab calisthenics
    stretching
    ~5 minutes double end bag
    6 rounds of pads (worked through all but 3 of the 30 second breaks)- working on slipping and rolling
    stretching

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi dude nice to see you're still managing despite how things are going. I remember before I asked you how your left hooks were doing, this was because I noticed that you were focussing on left hooks on one of your bag sessions. Isolation kind of work like this is great if you're still trying to get the technique down enough so that you can bring that consistancy into the ring. When you feel that your technique is okay you can start to think about different ways that you can set your left hook up. You might ask yourself how do you transition from one punch to your left hook. You can see how the weight shifts for one punch loads you up for another punch on the other side.

When you're throwing your left hook find pick your spots that you want to hit, such as the short ribs, the liver, or right in the gut. Then you can go off the different things to see how to set your opponent up, how to get around their guard, or how to land it as a counterpunch. The typical left hook to the body works off of a slip of your opponent's right hand. Then you might think about how you would get your opponent to throw that right hand, and so forth.

Once you get this kind of experience from a real opponent you can apply this to your shadow boxing and bag work so it isn't just punching practice. You'll probably have to use your footwork to get the angle you need to land a particular punch. You can mix it up however you want, you might want to use each round, to work on a different set-up, using the rest time in between to think about how your going to set up your next punch/combination.

It can really suck not getting any sparring especially when you're worried about your progress. You either have to go a little out of your way to find a good gym, or find a boxer in your area that you can over different things at your place.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry I didn't hit you back sooner. Anways ThomasTabin and greynotsoold have a lot of neat posts that go over this kind stuff. You can access the search feature from this link: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_fo...?action=search
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chris, thanks for the advice. I kept it in mind last night and tried to think more in terms of setting things up and controlling the action. I think I get a lot out of this site, the guys you mentioned, yourself and a lot of others really give quality advice. Its frustrating me that I can't really try things out now though, but hopefully I'll figure something out so I can at least run drills with someone to practice some of this.

So since I've been whining about my gym situation here I guess I'll continue *updating* (venting). The owner has brought in more racks for bags and now there's hardly any floor space and so many bags that its tough to find an area where you can even see yourself shadowboxing. The guy made it sound like he trained people to fight but it seems more and more like its just a half step up from some la boxing or taibo type cardiokickboxing place... and going in the wrong direction.

On the other hand the two coaches seem to know their stuff, one of them is at least willing to work pads when he's around and not teaching a class, and they've pointed out a couple of problems with my technique and ways to improve my balance. I think if I can get some sparring I could spend a couple of nights a week doing my own conditioning, a couple nights doing their stuff, and then spar as much as possible and that would probably work out alright. Sparring is still the big question mark though.

9/19

2 rounds rope
    1 round burpees
    1 round situps
    1 round mountain climbers
    3 rounds rope
    4 rounds shadow boxing
    1 rounds of squats

warmup/stretching
    jumping jacks
    shadowboxing
    ~45 minutes kickboxing combinations on bags, occassional burnouts for rest
    *(side note, I'm a little concerned that the long sessions might throw me off from the 3 minutes of high intensity output I'm used to)
    pushups/ ab excercises
    stretching

I was going to stay and see if i could get some boxing work in but the coach seemed to want to leave and just got on the phone and computer... there was supposed to be a boxing class scheduled after kickboxing but no one else came and he stayed sitting there... plus he had taken the clip for the only double end bag so I just left.

Sorry for all the complaining in this long-winded post. I know a lot of people have much more challenging obstacles, I'm just venting cuz I'm frustrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/20
    lunch:
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    3 minutes holding pushup position
    3 minute plank hold
    3 minute superman hold
    3 minute wall sit
    wrist curls with dumbells (including reverse and circular curls)

evening:
    10 minutes of ropes
    7 rounds of pads
    3 rounds of free combinations on heavy bag
    2 rounds of burnouts
    ~60 pushups (sets of 10 of various types)
    50 crunches
    100 leg raises
    stretching

night:
    30 minutes on bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9/21
    3 minute rounds, 30 seconds break
    12 minutes of skipping rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds double end bag
    5 rounds pads
    3 rounds heavy bag
    pushups, abs and stretching

9/22
    10 400 meter sprints with 1 minute rest between each

9/23
    Couldnt use the timer so I'm guessing on the times for some of these... I tend to estimate longer times so I'm rounding down.
    5 mile jog
    5 minutes rope
    5 minutes double end bag
    500 jabs on heavy bag
    300 crosses on heavy bag
    10 minutes of combinations heavy bag
    100 uppercuts on heavy bag
    stretching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)