Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default CP Company log

Age- 31 (Yes, i am an old get)
    Height- 5' 6
    Weight- 74kg (Approx)

Only just started training. This was my 5th time. Cant remember what i did on the other days so this is my starting point.

In my gym all rounds are timed at 3 minutes with a 30 second rest.

Friday, 13th July 2007.

Skipping

7 rounds. I am still unable to skip for more than around 1 and a half minutes without tripping. But I am getting there. I practiced in a big park a few days ago at night so I have learned a few more techniques. I thought the park would be quiet at 11 at night but it was packed with people running and going for walks. They must have had a good laugh at the strange foreigner tripping over the rope every 30 seconds !

Shadow boxing.

3 rounds practicing some simple combinations that I have been taught. The coach changed my hand positioning and it doesnt hurt like before when i hit the bags.

Double end bag.

Did this for the first time yesterday, so today I was a bit better. Did 4 rounds practicing double jab and right cross and then back step one two combination. I absolutely love training on this.

Heavybag.

5 or 6 (cant remember exactly) rounds practicing the same combinations as on the double end bag. I hurt my hands the first two times I went to the gym and my right hand is still a bit tender. I was taking it quite easy but by the end I was done. My coach asked me if i wanted to do a bit of weight training but I had had enough.

Didnt do any mitt work today. There were a few pros in early in the afternoon and some new starters so the coaches spent a bit less time with me today. 2 of the coaches have been pretty good with me and they want to put me in a fight in about 6 months. The gym have told me to get down to around 66kg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: CP Company log

Back from my long European trip.

I had got my weight down to 69 kg before the holiday but after a diet of Czech,Polish,German and English beer and sausages I got up to 75 kg!

11 Sept.

My first time back on the gym, 7 rounds of skipping, 3 rounds on the bag(light bag for fast combinations) and 3 rounds on the double end bag.

12 Sept.

5 rounds of skipping, 4 rounds on the mitts, 3 rounds on the heavybag and 3 rounds on the double end bag.

Found training very hard, almost threw up. But the heat and humidity are dying down and I am back on a healthy diet so the training should become easier.

I keep injuring my left hand though, where the thumb bone meets the wrist. I have had problems with it every training session but I am getting used to it and I am starting punch through the pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could be an old injury you have, possibly the scaphoid bone in the wrist from the position you describe the pain, which is a small bone that can crack when you fall over hard and try to break your fall with your hands.

I've known a few guys who get pain in their hands/wrists when they start boxing (me included), but it tends to go away when you're more experienced and punching correctly every time.

Remember to wrap your hands and good luck with the training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for the advice. It wont be an old injury because I havent broken anything before.

I think it might be one of two things. I find it hard to make a tight fist with my left hand, so I am punching with a slightly open hand. I think i will change my hand wrap technique with less wrapping around the palms.

Or

When I get tired I think my I am positioning my fist slightly down, rather than parallel to the floor. Whatever it is, I will keep practicing left hooks on the heavybag to try and perfect my technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

18th Sept 07.

Was doing a bit of internet chat with mates in England until 4 in the morning, but had to be up for work at 6. Got to the gym around 1 40.

Did 4 rounds of skipping. Today was the first time i managed a round without tripping.

4 Rounds on the bags. Two on the heavy bags and two on the light bags. Did 3 rounds on the double end bag.

Due to lack of sleep, a junk food breakfast, still being unfit from my 3 weeks of drinking and eating in Europe, and 32 degree heat (with humidity) I found today really hard. Nearly threw up a few times and was blowing for air constantly.

I still have the problem from pain where the thumb meets the wrist. I changed my wrap so there is less around the palm and that helped to make a better fist. My coach is going to show me his wrapping technique tomorrow. The pain in my hands isnt as bad these days, I think my body is getting used to jarring pains shooting through my bones !! Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The gym was packed with Pros today, the gym must be having a promotion soon. Serious training all round and coaches barking instructions everywhere.
    First time I have seen the pros sparring and it was nice to watch. The ease which they slipped punches was awesome. Because the gym was so busy my coach only had a few minutes to spare while he was working with the pros. The coach reckons my fat is coming off pretty quickly.

4 rounds skipping, managed 6 minutes without stopping but started to get a bit of a pain in my left shin.

3 rounds on the heavy bag.

4 rounds on the double end bag. Then home for my after gym lunch of teriyaki chicken with rice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

4th Oct 2007

4 rounds skipping.

4 rounds on the heavy bag

3 rounds on the double end bag.

5th Oct

The same but with 2 rounds of pad work and 2 rounds shadow boxing.

6th oct

The same

11th oct

5 rounds skipping. My skipping was terrible today. Maybe cos I felt a bit lethargic this morning and had no breakfast.

4 rounds on the heavybag

5 rounds double end bag

2 rounds shadowboxing.

Today i felt a great improvement on my punching stamina. I could go all out for 4 rounds on the heavybag without needing some pauses and my shoulders burning up.

I also felt no pain in my hands today for the first time. I changed my wrap technique so that I wrapped more around the wrist and the knuckles and didnt use figure of eights for support. It seemed to allow me to make a more comfortable fist. I also took scraps advice and when i threw hooks I aimed for the same place as where I was hitting with straight punches, rather than the side of the bag. So I am feeling pretty good today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

13th oct 2007

4 rounds skipping.

3 rounds shadow boxing.

5 rounds on the heavybag.

3 rounds on the mitts

The pain from my hands seems to have completely disappeared, so i am pretty pleased with that. I really noticed some improvements today. I am becoming much more fluid with my footwork, especially on the heavybag. I am stepping around tha bag much better now, although their is still plenty of work.

My fitness is also getting much better, on the mitts my combinations were much smoother and I didnt feel anywhere near as tired as I usually do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

16th Oct 07.

4 rounds skipping.

2 rounds shadow boxing.

3 rounds on the mitts.

4 rounds on the heavybag

7 rounds skipping. (I was feeling very energetic today)

I was going to do some shadow boxing to finish but i got talking to a guy who has been training for 4 months. He has bought 2 pairs of winning gloves (one for the bag, one for sparring), a pair of adidas boxing boots and a fitted gumshield. More money than sense !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

17th oct.

4.5 rounds skipping.

2.5 rounds shadow boxing

3 rounds on the mitts

4 rounds on the heavybag

3 rounds on the double end bag

1 more round on the heavybag cos I was feeling very energetic

6 rounds of skipping

1 round of shadow boxing.

My stamina is getting much better now and i am starting to put in a few extra rounds of training. Still find it hard to do more than 7 rounds on mitts/heavybag but I am trying to increase my stamina by skipping at the end of my session. For some reason skipping feels much easier near the end, when I am tired and my heart rate is really pumping.

As i am going to the gym a lot more the coaches also seem to be putting more work in with me. I think they can see that I am fairly determined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After posting my log yesterday i decided to go for a long walk. Big mistake ! My calves and shins were already sore after the gym and the walk made them worse. So today I almost didnt go to the gym cos my legs and hands were a bit sore.

18th oct 07

4.5 rounds skipping. My shins were saw all the way through, although it affected my concentration i still manged to get through ok.

2.5 rounds shadow boxing.

3 rounds on the heavybag, my hands were a bit sore and it took my a full round before my hands got used to the pain and I could punch all out.

1.5 rounds on the mitts. My coach had me practicing an incredibly intricate (by my standards) combination. jab, straight right, left hook, straight right, step, treble jab, right upercut, left hook straight right. we did it all out for a full round and it was bloody knackering. I imagine it was for stamina, there is no way that i will remember that combination at the moment!

After that I did 1 round shadow boxing and 3 more rounds on the heavybag. I went at a fairly relaxed pace on the bag. Mainly concentrating on double and treble jabs as my final jab is often fairly weak. I also practiced my footwork and balance when throwing hooks and combinations.

My shins feel like I have taken a kick from the studs on football boots. not complete agony yet, but definitely uncomfortable. I will see how tomorrow and saturday go and see if I should take a rest. Any advice on shin splints would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

23rd Oct 07

I have fully fledges shin splints. Found loads od stretching techniques on the net.

No Skipping today

3 rounds shadow boxing.

8 rounds on the heavy bag.

29th Oct

Legs are feeling better.

Did 3 rounds skipping but started to feel a twinge so stopped.

3 rounds shadow boxing. I went to the gym late tonight and there were a few coaches I hadnt seen. One of them changed how I threw my jab, putting the shoulder into it more and bringing the shoulder nearer to my ear and chin when i throw rhe jab.

8 rounds on the heavybag. 4 rounds were quite easy and ther last 4 I went full power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

30th oct

3 rounds skipping, trying to keep my feet as close to the floor as possible to help my shins. Tripped on the rope a lot

2 rounds shadow boxing

7 rounds on the heavybag. the last 3 at quite a leisurely pace.

finished with 2 rounds of skipping. I think i might have over done it on the skipping. I could feel a bit of a twinge in my shins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

31st of Oct.

4 rounds of skipping.

2 rounds of shadow boxing.

7 rounds on the heavybag. first 5 hard, the last 3 at a slow pace.

3 rounds on the mitts

Soon to start sparring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1st November

5 rounds skipping.

3 rounds shadow boxing.

3 rounds on the heavybag.

3 rounds on the mitts. Practiced left, right uppercut and left hook right hook combination.

another 3 rounds on the heavybag.

Thread Information