Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Aikido

Im moving to Florida in a few days and will be looking for my first pro fight there not sure when that will be yet but soon becouse i like to have a date to train for it keeps me motivated

My brother will be fighting on aug 4 he's coming back from braking a bone in his foot when he kicked a guy in the elbow, he still won that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboy
    My tkd master was also a master in Aikido so naturally I learned alot of its effectiveness. But he actually said it himself that he wouldnt relly on it alone in a self defence situation. The way he used it was in a fight you need to know striking but many fights become a grappling match and most people who are not trained fighters will be out of position and leave and arm exposed, extended. I think a move that many of you are fermiluar with is the Kamura this is actually an Aikido move. I think you just have to apply the art in the right situation with the right support from other styles and it can be very affective.
    Sorry to correct you mate but a Kimura is a Judo move. Named as such after the great Judoka Kimura who defeated Helio Gracie (and broke his arm) with a..well...Kimura. Its basically another word that the BJJ guys adopted for the Ude Garami arm entangle (medial keylock). A nice little move. I posted on here somewhere before about all this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ude-Garami

I catch your drift with the post though. All ranges need to be covered. Aikido though is not an effective grappling art. It would not stand up against other grappling arts.As a standing grappling art it doesn't hold a torch to Judo (then again i am a biased bugger )

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the issue with aikido like many MAs is that to truly be able to use a technique in a real fight or MMA competition you must be able to train at what we in the Army call "combat speed"...you simply can't practice breaking arms and such dabilitating attacks therefore in a no shit fight your are probably not going to be able to execute
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    I think the issue with aikido like many MAs is that to truly be able to use a technique in a real fight or MMA competition you must be able to train at what we in the Army call "combat speed"...you simply can't practice breaking arms and such dabilitating attacks therefore in a no S*** fight your are probably not going to be able to execute
    Absolutely spot on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    My tkd master was also a master in Aikido so naturally I learned alot of its effectiveness. But he actually said it himself that he wouldnt relly on it alone in a self defence situation. The way he used it was in a fight you need to know striking but many fights become a grappling match and most people who are not trained fighters will be out of position and leave and arm exposed, extended. I think a move that many of you are fermiluar with is the Kamura this is actually an Aikido move. I think you just have to apply the art in the right situation with the right support from other styles and it can be very affective.
    Sorry to correct you mate but a Kimura is a Judo move. Named as such after the great Judoka Kimura who defeated Helio Gracie (and broke his arm) with a..well...Kimura. Its basically another word that the BJJ guys adopted for the Ude Garami arm entangle (medial keylock). A nice little move. I posted on here somewhere before about all this stuff.

I catch your drift with the post though. All ranges need to be covered. Aikido though is not an effective grappling art. It would not stand up against other grappling arts.As a standing grappling art it doesn't hold a torch to Judo (then again i am a biased bugger )

Your right Munky I have heard that and its true. But I have learned the same move in Aikido training maybe it was just added in there to be effective anyway your also right that Judo is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your right Munky I have heard that and its true. But I have learned the same move in Aikido training maybe it was just added in there to be effective anyway your also right that Judo is awesome
    Indeed , the founder of Aikido, Ueshiba, was a student of a few arts. Judo/JuJitsu/Kendo...he blended elements of them into his own system he devised called 'Aikido'. You must remember Aikido is a relatively new martial art, it only came about in the early 20th century. In martial arts terms its still a baby!

Thread Information