Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Oscar coming back to 147 lbs makes the welters even richer in talent.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oscar coming back to 147 lbs makes the welters even richer in talent.

As if this division couldn' get any deeper Oscar De La Hoya has stated he's coming back to 147 lbs also.

So we now have a top tier of welters looking like this.

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Throw in exciting prospects like Berto, Chavez Jr, Quintana, Joel Julio and exciting domestic level fighters like Gomez and Feliciano and you have possibly the strongest division in boxing for the past decade.

It's insanse how stacked this division has become!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar coming back to 147 lbs makes the welters even richer in talent.

nice, its great to throw oscar's name in the mix, there are so many possibilities..its very exciting and tonight was a great night for boxing! lets have some more WW tripple headers any time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar coming back to 147 lbs makes the welters even richer in talent.

Oscar's doing nothing in there since he can't keep up with the fast paced action and most of his advantages such as handspeed ( in Super-Welter) would be lost back to 147 pounds, then I don't believe he can get to that weight again without being much weaker so he also wouldn't be able to take punches like he did at 154 pounds... No, Oscar is not in the mix and I can't understand how Cintron or Cotto are above Shane since they beat Mathysse and Judah respectively, it seems like everybody's career started just now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is there a link for this?
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wanna see Oscar fight Cotto so bad!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
    Oscar's doing nothing in there since he can't keep up with the fast paced action and most of his advantages such as handspeed ( in Super-Welter) would be lost back to 147 pounds, then I don't believe he can get to that weight again without being much weaker so he also wouldn't be able to take punches like he did at 154 pounds... No, Oscar is not in the mix and I can't understand how Cintron or Cotto are above Shane since they beat Mathysse and Judah respectively, it seems like everybody's career started just now!
    The top 4 are there by virtue of being the 4 world champs not my personal assessment of thier ability

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley
    is there a link for this?
    They announced it towards the end of the HBO broadcast, Larry Merchant I think it was said that De La Hoya had announced he was following his old rival Shane Mosely in moving back down to 147 lbs.

There's still some great fights out there for him and no matter how much people dismiss him as being past it, he's still a threat to any of the guys out there.

He'd test Cotto and Cintron for sure, him and Mosely still have unfinished business and Williams is obviously looking for big name opponents.

I think it's great to have him back in the mix, even if it means the Pope will have to delay Oscar's deification for another couple years :P

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    As if this division couldn' get any deeper Oscar De La Hoya has stated he's coming back to 147 lbs also.

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Throw in exciting prospects like Berto, Chavez Jr, Quintana, Joel Julio and exciting domestic level fighters like Gomez and Feliciano and you have possibly the strongest division in boxing for the past decade.

I like Berto as the sleeper in this division.

Imagine if Ricky Hatton would have been able to cut it at 147.
    Ricky is stuck in sad division. Who does Ricky have to play with? Paulie Malignaggi. lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Ricky is stuck in sad division. Who does Ricky have to play with? Paulie Malignaggi. lol
    Actually Paulie has got balls.............he'll probably move up

It's not all bad though I'm sure Juan Diaz will pass through the 140 lb division on his way to 147 lb

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Actually Paulie has got balls.............he'll probably move up

It's not all bad though I'm sure Juan Diaz will pass through the 140 lb division on his way to 147 lb
    Yes Paulie has balls and if he moves up to 147 I will give him much credit. I wont blame him though if he stays in that little safe division he is in now. It will be interesting how this all pans out in the next year or so. I would not mind watching Hatton/Malignaggi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Looking at this list, if Ricky Hatton decides to stay at 140, Great Britain should exile him.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skyler

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Williams
    4. Cintron
    5. Mosely
    6. Margarito
    7. De La Hoya
    8. Judah
    9. Clottey
    10. Collazo

Looking at this list, if Ricky Hatton decides to stay at 140, Great Britain should exile him.
    But if he moves up it's off with his head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
    The top 4 are there by virtue of being the 4 world champs not my personal assessment of thier ability
    I knew that would come up, the four organizations, the 4 mosqueteers... Well, Manny Pacquiao doesn't hold a title but how come he is P 4 P nÂș2 in the World? But I'll take it, Cintron, Williams, Mayweather and Cotto have the right to call out opponents cause they have beaten good fighters in most recent occasions but that doesn't mean Louie Collazo wouldn't have a chance against Williams or Cintron so...

Thread Information