Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we on the verge of another Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler era?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are we on the verge of another Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler era?

I think the welterwight division right now is red hot and in fact I'd go so far to say as we could be about to usher in a new era of great fighters to finally rank alongside Hearns, Leanard and Duran.

There is no way on earth Floyd retires now or even soon as his legacy defining fights are finally here.

In Floyd, Cotto, Williams, Cintron, Mosely etc we finally have a division that is so stacked that the fighters who emerge victorious from all the potential contests could well be ranked right up there with the greats.

Before some of you shout me down and say Floyd ain't a patch on Ray Leonard, Williams is nothing like Hearns and Cotto ain't no Duran etc I think you have to accept that right now the POTENTIAL is there for some truly epic wars.

Imagine a Cotto Mayweather trilogy, or Floyd facing off and beating Cotto, Mosely, Cintron and Williams.

These fighters fighting each other will I think produce some of the fights for the ages and they will make legends out of each other.

Floyd right now has finally got what he has always craved, a chance to fight possible Hall of Famers and dominate one of the strongest divisions in boxing's history.

20 years from now I think from this period over the next 5 years or so will be looked back on as being one of the greatest ever boxing eras.

The welters are giving me so much hope right now for a revival in boxings fortunes especially if HBO put on more stella free cards like tonight.

I'm so excited by the prospect of what the next few years will bring in the welterweight division.

I think we are on the verge of somthing great folks................

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are we on the verge of another Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler era?

aww come on guys I'm buzzing about the possibilities at welterweight now, I'm practically El Gamoing in my boxers over all the matchups.

Someone must share my excitement surely

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes things are looking up
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with you Bilbo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your missing the crucial factor in making another golden era of boxing Bilbo - they all have to fight each other.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahah Practically elgamoing in my boxersss
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig
    Your missing the crucial factor in making another golden era of boxing Bilbo - they all have to fight each other.
    They will do, they all want to, Cotto and Williams are both hungry to prove themselves, Mosely is chasing a title and Oscar and Margarito will be looking for redemption. Cintron is looking on fire right now as well.

With so much talent at 147 it's become the hottest division in boxing and will be centre stage over the next few years.

In such circumstances there is no way in hell that Floyd will stay retired. He knows that if he cleans house at 147 and beats the best of these guys he's heading straight into the p4p greatest of all time lists, not to mention all the moolah to be made.

I really think when we are all old and wrinkly we'll look back on 2008-2012 as the greatest era of our time. Scrap won't of course, (he'll be long dead) as he goes right back to the pioneers like Sullivan and Fitzsimmons but for most of us born in the 20th century it will be a golden age of nostalgia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al
    Yes things are looking up
    They sure are. I hope the matches are made. No matter what the fights will be good. All the styles now are similar to the Hearns/Leonard/Benitez/Duran/Cueves days of the welterweights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Bilbo. The division is red hot & fully stacked. As well as the guys he mentioned you also got Clottey, Margarito, Judah, Collazo, Quintana. Plus Quartey & Mayorga are talking about returning to 147. Put them together any way you want & it's gonna be fireworks!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's not forget about Whitaker/DLH/Trinidad/Quartey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    WTF!!!! You're like the second or third person to mock the gamo! This shall not be tolerated

I'm with you Bilbo.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes some great matchups , let just hope they do all fight each other
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe you're right and hindsight will show us how good this period actually was. For now though I don't think they compare to the greats of that truly golden era

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    WTF!!!! You're like the second or third person to mock the gamo! This shall not be tolerated

I'm with you Bilbo.
    Yeah but mate think of the bright side, from now on any premature ejaculation or unwanted arousal will henceforth be known as an EL Gamo. How many people get to have things named after them? You should be proud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think we will ever see the likes of those 4 in one time peirod again. They all fought the best, each other, and not the easy fights for easy money. they fought to be the best and became that.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Thread Information