Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are your favourite fighters and why?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who are your favourite fighters and why?

? I'm pretty new to MMA and so far,I really like the look of Wanderlei Silva,I mean he looks so relentless and unstoppable.

I also like Quinton Jackson even though I have seen 3 fights,of all which he lost,his power is awesome! I love the slams!

Possibly the scariest man mountain of a man I have seen is Fedor Emilianenko! I mean he just man handles guys!!

How about you guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who are your favourite fighters and why?

i like tito ortiz i used to hate him until i saw the relentless doc about him and the lions den, and the ultimate fighter series 3, he is a funny guy.

kevin randlemans fights are usually entertaining and his mic work is pretty good (just a bit of watered down rampage jackson)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mark Hunt and Karo Parysian are who I enjoy watching most. I also like the way Nick Diaz uses really short punches like a boxer to pick guys apart. He doesn't hit HARD, but he uses a jab very effectively and it sets everything else up nicely. Most mma guys swing wildly. Not Nick. Nick is one of the few guys I feel could almost make the transition to professional boxing, even though it's not his A game... BJJ is his main thing. But he sets up his BJJ with short little strikes. Very nice to watch....very methodical. CroCop and Chuck are two other guys that hit better than the MMA average. (and Hunt, being a former K1 kickboxer). Parysian is a swing-for-the-fences guy, but his giless judo is absolutely beautiful to watch. Nog has pretty nice stand-up too, I should add...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ps, Jens Pulver is another fun guy to watch because his stand-up is so great.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For what ever reason I rarely get attached to fighters, but I do enjoy watching Guillard, GSP, Frank Shamrock, Chuck and Khartinov
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear ya. I'm a HUGE Formula 1 fan, but don't have a favorite driver. the same goes for baseball. Yanks, when it comes down to it, but don't really care either way. Yet I love the sport. Even dreamed of playing in the bigs as a kid....even as a Canadian kid.

Little known fact.... Wayne Gretzky dreamed of playing ML baseball too. He just happened to be better at hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My favourite fighter is Bj Penn. He is such a naturally gifted athlete and a joy to watch! His Bjj is amazing and his standup is pretty good to.

Others i really look out for are - Rampage, Couture, GSP and Fedor.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are a lot of guys I like, Kevin Randleman is my favorite of all time though. And I guess my brother now but I'll wait til he turns pro to put him on the list.

I'll go ahead and list a few of my current favorites.

Urijah Faber - Absolutely relentless. Little guy with a lot of muscle on his frame, he's a little bulldog. His biggest flaws are basically his overagressiveness and his inablility to fight at a slow pace. He is crazy action every time he gets in the ring and so far, with the exception of the very skilled Santa Rosa, California fighter David Terrell, he's been to much for everybody. He has a bit of a mouth and he's cocky, but he is just a little spark plug in there with one of the better GNP at the lower weights imo. I remember watching him for the first time in King of the Cage. He was standing in some guys guard, and the guy had a hold of Faber's wrists trying to establish position and Faber literally lifted him up off the ground from the standing guard and stood him back up directly on his feet. I'd never seen anything like it.

Kid Yamamoto - Another small guy, another guy who isn't liked because of his personality, but another high energy guy. I think he's a bit more skilled then Faber, especially standing up. I want desperately for these two to meet down the line, it's the fight everyone wants it would be a shame for it not to happen. Not the best sport, doesn't really like to stop fighting even when the ref tells him to but he is like a guy straight out of a Jet Li movie, he's crazy.

Rampage Jackson - He was my favorite, but now he beat Liddell and everyone not on the internet seems to think he is the best and unstoppable and it's kind of turned me against him a little bit to the point where I want Henderson to win this fight coming up. Still, I've never seen him in a boring fight. Or in a boring interview for that matter. His slam on Arona is up there with Randleman's KO of Cro Cop as my favorite MMA moment ever.

Shogun I'm just coming around on really. I love Pride but headstomps make me cringe, and nobody stomps quite like Shogun. Outside of the stomps though, I can't wait til he comes to the UFC. I think he is going to go on a complete tear. Even without the ground kicks he is still one of the most well rounded fighters in all of the game.

Karo is awesome just because he is the only guy I've really seen to incorporate judo into his game and make it work. Nobody has really done that from what I've seen and make it work as much as Karo has. That's pretty cool, although his TUF appearance was pretty shitty.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Faber and Yamamato are two of MMA's biggest kept secrets b/c they fight at 145 and aren't with one of the big two. I didn't get clued in on them till about 6 months ago, but have watched alot of their fights since then...never a dull moment...Must be tough being a Randleman fan...that guy is so hit and miss...awesome athleticism, but so inconsistent in the ring.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah randleman is a bit "danny williams" but i have liked him since his dad died durin the 2003 tournament i think it was, that must have been hard for him goin thru all that

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like a lot of MMA fighters

Ken Shamrock: Ken was doin MMA from the very first UFC which he lost to Royce Gracie. Ken has been in some great fights and was a great fighter, he's just too old now and needs to stay out of the cage/ring. His fights with Gracie, Don Frye, Ortiz, etc. were action packed, well maybe not the Gracie ones, but still.

Frank Shamrock: He's an arrogant ass hole but he backs it up 90% of the time. He beat Tito's punk ass way back in the day and schooled Baroni recently. Ya gotta love Frank, hes maybe better than his older brother b4 its all said and done too.

Vernon "Tiger" White: Vernon also trains outta the Lions Den, and he's like the Emmanuel Augustus of MMA, better than Shoni Carter who is like the other Augustus of MMA. Anyway, White is damn good with his fists and always comes to fight. He gave Chuck Liddell HELL until he got hit with a blind punch and KO'd.

James "Sand Man" Irving: Irving is a bastard, no doubt about it, but he's got good stand up and can punch and knee motherfuckers and KO them. He's fought in the UFC on the at least 3 times and he's lost least once and won a couple figts by awesome KO's. If you ever get the chance to see his fight against current WEC Champ Doug "Rhino" Marshall, check it out, he gives Marshall literally THE WORST ASS KICKING EVER.

George St. Pierre: GSP is probably the most athletic MMA fighter in the world. He does shit in the octagon that you see in Jean Claude Van Damme movies, cept it actually works in real life for him. I was surprised as hell that Serra KO'd him, but shat can happen with those little 4 oz gloves. He'll be back and as exciting as ever soon enuff.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson: This dude is crazy. He loves to fight and his slams are awesome. Liddell is a good guy and was probably the best LH champ ever, but I was happy to see Rampage KO him and get the attention and money he deserves. Guy's an animal.

Joe "Diesel" Riggs: This guy has gotten his ass beat in recent fights, but he's got good KO power and a good gimmick, guy writes "Good Night" on his mouthpieces so when he smiles at his opponents they know whats comin. Plus this dude used to weigh like 300 lbs and was a HW fighter then worked his ass off and got down to a chizzled 185 and was/is one of the top 10 best 185 lbers in the world.

Don "The Predator" Frye: Frye is a bad ass and an OG in MMA. He is an intense Motherfuker. That fight they show of him in Pride when him and this huge ass ugly ass fukin Japanese guy go at, DAMN! They just stand up grab each other behind the head and smash eachother in the face with haymakers for like a minute or two straight, its fukin unbelievable. Frye had a lot of great fights in Pride, his fight with Shamrock was pretty, not as good as the stare down though. Frye's got a mean staredown.

Randy Coutre: Coutre is just a professional and a real nice guy. Ya gotta like and respect him. He's what 43 now or something and still kicked that giant fuker Tim Sylvia's ass. Coutre is an awesome fighter, I would love to see him beat this Gonzaga guy and take on Fedor Emelianko to prove who is the absolute best HW in the world.

Damn, thats a long list, but I been watchin MMA since pretty much the first UFC, so I got a lot of favorite fighters. Hope some of you other Boxing/MMA nerds will check out some of those fighters and fights I mentioned. For sure you must see James Irving vs. Doug Marshall, that was a brutal ass whippin.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

aoki

sakuraba

wanderlei silva

yoshida

sokoudjou

cung le

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    aoki

sakuraba

wanderlei silva

yoshida

sokoudjou

cung le
    Cung lee is a little bitch.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

swick a like is is style & fast hands

rizzo only heavyweight that use a leg kick

nick diaz arm punches

rampage slams

crazy horse hilariouus

mark hunt big atleic dude but no ground game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight - Fedor : He's P4P the best no question. I just hope he signs with UFC and fights the top guys to quell the haters and to win over the US fans.

Light Heavy - Rampage : I love his slams and his hands. He's got Ali like charisma and usually backs up his talk. I think he's the best Page we've all seen in awhile.

Middleweight - Rich Franklin : I love how he bangs and think he's very hungry for his old belt. For some reason alot of people are counting him out even with only 2 losses. I can't wait for the rematch with Silva and don't think he'll make the same clinch mistake again.

Welterweight - Diego Sanchez : I know he has a lot of haters but I love his energy, and all his fights have been very exciting.(except for his last one) With his first loss I see him fighting his way to a title shot in no time. I dunno if anyone watches Abu Dhabi matches but Diego came close to beating Marcelo Garcia(the champ at the time) in a fast paced fight that showed some great grappling. Not many UFC fighters grapple at that level.

Lightweight - Genki Sudo : The Neo-Samurai is so hilarious! Anyone who hasn't watched him should watch some of his fights on YouTube. He beat Butterbean with a heel hook and is very very fast on the ground.

Thread Information