Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What works for you in Sparring/Fighting?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What works for you in Sparring/Fighting?

Hey guys,
    In need of some advice. I've got a sparring partner (we were 100% equal before my injuries ) he's incredibly hard to hit. He dodges from the hips and counters fast. He's unbelievably fast on the counter and near impossible to hit. So i ask you guys, what do i do to catch a guy like this

*Note: He's an underage world champ so he is super quality. It kills me that I used to be that good and the lay off saw me fall behind this much. I have the benefit of one more month sparring with him before my first competition back so i wann make the most of it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you mean he bends at the hips while on the move? as in weaving around low but not in a usual fixed postion cause he is flexable enough to bend at the knees and move while he is weaving around lower than you?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Do you mean he bends at the hips while on the move? as in weaving around low but not in a usual fixed postion cause he is flexable enough to bend at the knees and move while he is weaving around lower than you?
    Yeah he's amazing on the move like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Try and figure out which side he favors most right or left...The if you can do that step in on him but step with one foot to the side of his...Then use your shoulder to push him off you...as he goes back...come in with a straight right then follow him straight through.....

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Normally getting in first and sparking him out works

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If his feet are still ,most fighters straighten up slightly and go for straight pop shots at their head when they do that.

Instead follow the path of his head with swings and you'll meet it comming back.

You can do the same if you shuffle along with his move.

Is he good enough to come up through an opening he creates by moving with an uppercut from down there?

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    Try and figure out which side he favors most right or left...The if you can do that step in on him but step with one foot to the side of his...Then use your shoulder to push him off you...as he goes back...come in with a straight right then follow him straight through.....

He's world champ at kickboxing this year and has three euro boxing titles underage.
    Yet he's weak as water, with no chin....the reason he's so good is because he can't be touched, there is no shoulder to shoulder game with him and he's ambidextrous...

Horrible to think I've slipped this much!!!
    But I've been progressing, I turned the tables by creating a stale mate. He can't win if he can't hit me. He's a counterpuncher, If he doesn't see opportunities and counterpunch he can't score points. So I go backward...If he has any desire to score he must come forward. When he does attack THEN I let go of three hard with at least one to the body. It's working and we're drawing back even.
    If his feet are still ,most fighters straighten up slightly and go for straight pop shots at their head when they do that.

Instead follow the path of his head with swings and you'll meet it comming back.

You can do the same if you shuffle along with his move.

Is he good enough to come up through an opening he creates by moving with an uppercut from down there?
    His feet are never still...
    Its a style he got when we did Muay thai and Kickboxing and weren't used to the kicks.
    He adapted his style to superdefensive where as I changed mine to ultra aggresive slipping coming forward!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh! nasty little fucker. Oh well maybe a martial move may help against him then..you could use the 'double back' to get out from there real fast then do your old stuff as he rises and turns back into you.But you wil have to race back into him as he does.

Try pulling your lead foot back behind your rear leg and change gloves left for right as you do (your in switch stance and out of range totaly) then do it again instantly so you then take your now lead right foot back behind your left foot and your backwards from the oringinal starting position by at least six feet..so long as the ropes arent there.(if they are, sit down in them and recosheea off them out on a new angle) You can do this "double back" on some accute angles if you practice it and you can be covered the whole way if your arms remain in front and just take each others positions out there as you retreat out on any angle,the only difference is the foot you go around swivels in one spot. Doing it only once and switching to go out of reach on his threatening side but landing on his off side and nailing him with weight as you land is a possiblitiy but very involved and has be initiated off one of his moves that you already know where he will end up.(so you've studied him and then you practice with another partner against the move).
    But the original works for anyone safley.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know that was a martial technique but I had been toying with the idea!!!
    Thanks Andre. He's gifted and fits perfectly the mould I'm looking for....Better than anyone I'll meet in competition.

We're in the same division but We split the comp....he took under 21's and intermediate...I go for Senior. If I win itl be the "grand slam" for our club

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool, practice landing in the sweet spot with someone else copying his moves.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will do.
    The best part is we're working together. He says that in all the nationals he wasn't in with anyone as aggresive as me so thats a good sign and I've told him I haven't found anyone else as good defensively somlooks like were joint favs!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would anyone consider putting up some videos of examples?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Hey guys,
    In need of some advice. I've got a sparring partner (we were 100% equal before my injuries ) he's incredibly hard to hit. He dodges from the hips and counters fast. He's unbelievably fast on the counter and near impossible to hit. So i ask you guys, what do i do to catch a guy like this

*Note: He's an underage world champ so he is super quality. It kills me that I used to be that good and the lay off saw me fall behind this much. I have the benefit of one more month sparring with him before my first competition back so i wann make the most of it.
    CUT OFF THE RING. And remember even if his upper body is moving his abdomen isnt moving as much or as fast. jab to tho body is always a good tool to set up a right hand combonation against an elusive fighter. Unpredictibility is key too, side to side movement and fainting punches should also get you in a better position. Also counter punchers almost always cant stand pressure. They want to counter with one or two punches, for instance you throw a jab and he throws a right hand over the top and perhaps a left hook after that. Throw punches in bunches instead of trying to land one or two at a time. DOnt worry so much about landing the first punch you throw. Hit or miss it will get you in range. A missed punch doesnt have to be a wasted punch.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What works best for me in sparring is getting my ass kicked. What I mean by that is the best partner I have now for sparring is a guy at my club who is very skilled and who when I first got to my new club I went 4 rounds with him and I don't think I hit him once. Now I hit him all the time, and I even manage to hit him hard enough and plenty enough to piss him off that he finds new and interesting way to hit me. lol

His name is PK, is 7 yrs older and 10 lbs heavier then me, and he just fought and beat D'Quan Harper 3-0 a new Michigan Golden Gloves champ this past Sat. at the fight mine got cancelled. And every time I sparr him I learn, and yes, I learn by paying with an ass whooping. But I respect him and I think he might respect me, because I won't stop and plan on sparring him until I can take him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Hey guys,

CUT OFF THE RING. And remember even if his upper body is moving his abdomen isnt moving as much or as fast. jab to tho body is always a good tool to set up a right hand combonation against an elusive fighter. Unpredictibility is key too, side to side movement and fainting punches should also get you in a better position. Also counter punchers almost always cant stand pressure. They want to counter with one or two punches, for instance you throw a jab and he throws a right hand over the top and perhaps a left hook after that. Throw punches in bunches instead of trying to land one or two at a time. DOnt worry so much about landing the first punch you throw. Hit or miss it will get you in range. A missed punch doesnt have to be a wasted punch.
    Ha I'll see if I can post a vid of this guy. He's Olympic Quality already.

Thread Information