Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default left hand low- more effective and more versatile

im orthodox and i can fight in the traditional british style stand up boxing - i know the basics. punching, defense footwork combos etc.

but recently i have been working on a few NEW moves to me. like the shoulder roll and other moves that go with it. and i find this is extremly effective. however, the coach at the gym i train at jus wont have it, he wont allow me to have my left low. he always says hands tight hands up etc even when its workin perfectly, i cud hear his voice in the background "HANDS UP" its annoyong.

now i dont see the point in changing gyms cos hardly anyone in britain will allow me to have my left low. even if its a little low, chest level.
    now i know these trainers are too dumb to know that its not too much of a big deal having the left a little low if you know what your doing, cos they HAVE NEVER SEEN GREAT FIGHTERS LIKE MAYWEATHER, LOCCHE AND TONEY IN ACTION. so explaining it is out of the question.

i sparred the other day and didnt get caught with one right hand or a left hook. the only thing they do is jab after they get countered a couple of times. now if i sparred the usualy conventional style its difficult to block/parry every right hand. i find this way so fluid and easy.

any advice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: left hand low- more effective and more versatile

You don't have to take my word for it but if I were you I'd work my ass off to prove them wrong. I prefer to have my hands at about shoulder/chest level unless I'm throwing a punch and bringing the other hand up when needed. You know that even James Toney when he was working with the moves like his shoulder roll that we take for granted he got knocked on his butt in the beginning but he kept working on it and he improved it to grace that we've seen him bring into his fights.

All the techniques are out there, a good place to look is at the fights by those great fighters that you've mentioned and finding other fighters that have the moves that you're looking for. A lot of good fighters improved themselves by watching fights, including the great ones such as the Sugars, Ali's, etc.

That's something you should explore. So when someone says your left is low, you don't just tell them, you show them why. "Throw me a right hand and I'll show you what this is all about!"
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

depending on how much experience you have, leaving your left hand low is asking for trouble in a very big way. I took a beating tonight because of a lazy left hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy
    i sparred the other day and didnt get caught with one right hand or a left hook. the only thing they do is jab after they get countered a couple of times. now if i sparred the usualy conventional style its difficult to block/parry every right hand. i find this way so fluid and easy.
    Just trying to make sure I get what you're saying although i won't try to offer advice because I'm still finding my own defensive skills. You were using shoulder rolls and what else instead of blocking and parrying?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    depending on how much experience you have, leaving your left hand low is asking for trouble in a very big way. I took a beating tonight because of a lazy left hand.
    its not so much an issue of experience as it is a combination of natural instinct, reflexes, and vision...

and

there is a huge difference between a lazy left, as you put it, and a low left, as you were responding to. the lazy left is something that you deserve to get beaten for. the low left is something that, when used properly, the fighter is aware of. if you keep your left hand low, it changes your frame of mind to move and not block. if you keep it low and stay aware of the possible consequences then you can be very dangerous with it. a lazy left is just crap every time...the difference should be noted and i am a proud practitioner of the low left as part of a varied arsenal, offense and defense, regardless of what trainers say.

and

next time the trainer tells you to keep your hand up, feel free to ask them if they have ever seen anyone get hit with their hand up high. if you got the radar for it, then work it, just know the consequences, if you dont got the radar, dont even bother.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a subject on which I'm prone to wax eloquent...Pardon me if I'm a bit on the piss....
    Look at the great fighters. Archie Moore, Gene Tunney, Dempsey, any of them. NOT A SINGLE ONE had their left hand up in front of their face. Billy Graham, Ray Robinson, find one that held that left up in front of their eyes.
    See the punches!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    This is a subject on which I'm prone to wax eloquent...Pardon me if I'm a bit on the piss....
    Look at the great fighters. Archie Moore, Gene Tunney, Dempsey, any of them. NOT A SINGLE ONE had their left hand up in front of their face. Billy Graham, Ray Robinson, find one that held that left up in front of their eyes.
    See the punches!!
    still, the amateur game is so different to the pros though.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    See the punches!!
    The thing is if you keep your hands onto your face you're commited to blocking and that alone. It's a passive defense keeping your hands on your cheeks that prevents you from feinting, parrying, and even seeing. Back in the day amateurs fought more like professionals than they do today.

If you could slip, roll, catch, parry and counter with impunity your defense would be far greater than if you were to have your hands attached to your face. Your hands hands can still be brought up to block punches as needed.

Why work harder holding your hands up to your eyeballs which is going to do you more harm than good?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm in sort of the same position as LL. My coaches always say to keep our hands up and I feel awkward and have trouble seeing shots coming. Last week I was working a little on defense and I found I felt a lot more comfortable with my left low. I could catch more punches on my shoulder and I had a lot easier time parrying with the right since I could see better and the left wasnt up there in the way. I also noticed that it feels a lot more natural standing sideways to an opponent that way... i tend to want to square up more when i have both hands up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having re-read this
    They have you going both hands high,and their complaining about shoulder rolls??
    Granted Im no fan of both hands high,and prefer a staggered,left at the shoulder right below the chest stance,but the only way both hands high works is if you roll

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you know the answers and read the signals correct and understand touch and feel you can Box with your thumb up your arse.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

which most people don't. people do it because they see the greats do it. But THEY aren't the greats.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von you are correct,

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People always talk about hands up as if that the easiest way to learn and to a point I agree. Would some of it depend on the individual and their build though?

A coach in my gym LOVES both the hands up directly in front for every situation (attacking or defence) and feels comfortable punching out of it and coming back to it. He's extremely, unusually stocky though (not just compared to me) - it seems natural that he can block a lot of force even walking straight into a big right hand.

I on the otherhand SUCK at this! Sure I'll aim to keep my hands up but if I couldn't see I'd move the hand a bit because getting at least partially out of the way is almost the only time I don't get knocked off balance by a punch.

I don't have a large number of people to compare to know if this really has anything to do with it though. Do other people notice this at all or am I just making excuses for not liking something?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id rather watch a Pernell Whittaker than a Winky Wright even though I like Winky. Its a different concept and mindsett I love flare I want to see skill without innabition

Thread Information