Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: left hand low- more effective and more versatile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Id rather watch a Pernell Whittaker than a Winky Wright even though I like Winky. Its a different concept and mindsett I love flare I want to see skill without innabition
    But then again if i were to give my opinion then i would say neither have the perfect punching technique

Winky's lack of technique for punching just works for how good his defense is and pernells hands bieng low is only made up for also but his defensive skill and extremely unorthadox style..

Course it works for them..But putting theyr style to any old person just means loss of power and punching technique maybe even for them too..

Such as have your hands up and shooting either strait shot and snapping it out well is how to punch..

Winky has his hands higher then they need to be and when he jabs it is either slower to bring it down to the chin and shoot it strait or to shoot strait from where he holds at his forehead looses snap and comes down with it and isnt strait..

Pernell can use his angles to his advantage but having your hands low just looses the straitness and snapp of a jab and they become more or less backhands/slaps and can be used to set up combinations etc..

Not that my point is textbook but it is certainly a way to enterperet this..

If i were to make some sort of theory forwhere to place your hands etc i would say learn everything you can to the textbook and modify as you see fit..For if you havnt tried or quite discovered what is standard practice and textbook then its really unfair to judge when style and comfort is swaying your decision of styles
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Id rather watch a Pernell Whittaker than a Winky Wright even though I like Winky. Its a different concept and mindsett I love flare I want to see skill without innabition
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think many trainers teach the hands up style of boxing as an excuse for the fact that they don't know much about defense.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres a lot of truth in that
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Knowing when (for each seperate individual) to pear off from the basics or drop them completly due to other advanced adjustments is something many trainers cant be bothered with.They teach whole ways to whole groups and wont be moved.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Knowing when (for each seperate individual) to pear off from the basics or drop them completly due to other advanced adjustments is something many trainers cant be bothered with.They teach whole ways to whole groups and wont be moved.
    Very true andre very true. Thats how they do it at my gym. They have too many kids and not enough trainers so they just throw them in groups where theyre told to do this or that while the trainer walks off to go smoke a cigarette outside or have a conversation with his buddy or something. What is the worst thing is that these kids get stuck with the idea that the trainer is some god like being and second guessing the things he "teaches" is like second guessing god. He never gives the kids the idea that they are smart enough to figure things out on their own or that they even should and as a result they become completely dependant on him. Then you get a bunch of people who never advance past what the trainer says. in other words generation after generation of steady ignorance.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me try this one again...
    I don't think that the "hands up" defense and using your shoulder are mutually exclusive. It all depends where you put your left hand and how you position your feet.
    "Hands up" means, these days, covering your eyes with your left hand. That not only makes it impossible to see a right hand coming, it makes it impossible to throw a jab. By "throwing a jab" I don't mean poking your arm out in front of you. I mean delievering a blow that matters. You CANNOT do that if you jab with your left glove starting at eye level. Get that glove to around shoulder level and snap that arm out and bring it back on the same path. Let yourself see punches coming.
    Now, if you square your feet towards an opponent you better keep that left very high because your shoulder is too far out of the way to be of any use. In boxing EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WILL EVER DO STARTS WITH HOW YOU PLACE YOUR FEET. Find your stance and then turn your front foot, leg, and hip inwards. I had many posts on this in the past. That makes you a more narrow target, presenting your left hip and shoulder- are you following me here?- to your opponent.
    At this point you are in position, and it is NATURAL, to use your shoulder to defend against a right hand. You CANNOT use this defense if you are squared up and trying to use the "peek-a-boo" defense. They are mutually exclusive and this is why Tyson, and Patterson before him, ate right hands like M&Ms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hands up is an amateurs thing,its not to be shrugged off,but its not to be relied on if you want to go pro
    In the amateurs or the semi-pros nobody goes to the body,unless you have serious power you dont even have enough rounds to cash the checks youve been depositing down there,so almost nobody goes there.So why guard there
    If you have better aspirations change that guard though

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Hands up is an amateurs thing,its not to be shrugged off,but its not to be relied on if you want to go pro
    In the amateurs or the semi-pros nobody goes to the body,unless you have serious power you dont even have enough rounds to cash the checks youve been depositing down there,so almost nobody goes there.So why guard there
    If you have better aspirations change that guard though
    Now shouldnt that little truth, tell all serious top amatures to develop a mid section knockout punch to the so many high handed reactions.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Make them raise their guard up even further, and then drill them into their liver, kidneys and stomach. Sounds good to me.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the thing, for me any way, and I think that a review of old fights and fighters will bear this out.
    To do effective body work you don't have to work the body constantly for 5 rounds, exposing yourself to counters etc...Gene Tunney, in his time, was considered a very very effective body puncher because of his straight right to the heart and/or solar plexus and his hook to the body. These days a "good bodypuncher" throws that hook to the side over and over again. But consider the value of a stiff jab to the solar plexus, or the straight right to the heart. The left hook to the heart or solar plexus, the right uppercut to the bottom rib on the right side...These are very effective and relatively safe.
    But my point is this. Properly set up and executed one body blow can do the work of round after round of flailing. For perspective. In a streetfight, hands break on heads, that big bone vs. little bone mismatch and very few really experienced fighters- like in the pen, etc..- start off at the head. A quick blow to the chest robs your opponent of breath for the duration of the fight. Once, in my experience, there was a fight in very close quarters and, while one guy won through the use of a "foreign object" the other guy was layed up for nearly three days from two very hard body punches. Pick your shots in others words. Then learn how to punch hard at the opening you have created and one or two body shots can make a tremendous difference in a 3 round fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightbulb Re: left hand low- more effective and more versatile

the important hand to keep close to the chin is the right hand
    for defense and leverage, but for the left hand for orthodox
    boxers there is no right or wrong position as long as
    you are aware of the risks.

The classic counter for the low left hand is to follow the opponents left jab
    back with the right hand - it then becomes the game of timing and speed.

If a boxer trains with his left low, it is only a matter of time
    when you get caught cold with a right hand and if you are bringing it back
    - tough to be in position to avoid the right.

Versatility is important, and at times dropping the left is good
    if you know what you are doing and have the speed.
    Sometimes dropping the left hand can draw the opponents right hand,
    but you need to have a flexible plan to deal with the right.

In summary, there are no cast in concrete styles, but for the novice
    -do not try to be cute before learning the skills or there will be
    a heavy price to pay with some slick fast and smart puncher
    bouncing sizzling shots off of your badly exposed "thick" skull.
    Last edited by Zelley; 10-08-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spacing
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Thread Information