Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy jones plans to return in november

By Mark Vester

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. (51-4, 38 knockouts), fresh off his unanimous decision win over Anthony Hanshaw on July 14 in Biloxi, is planning a return to the ring in November.

Promoter Murad Muhammad told the Pensacola News Journal that Jones will fight on either Nov. 3, Nov. 10 or Nov. 17. The curent front-runner to host the event is the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, and New Orleans is another possibility.

Muhammad said that WBO light heavyweight champion Zsolt Erdei (27-0, 17KOs) is the number one choice for Jones' next fight. Glen Johnson (46-11-2, 31KOs), the man who previously knocked Jones out in 2004, is the second choice. Felix Trinidad would be the third choice, but he doesn't want to face Jones until Jan 2008.

The problem with making the fight with Erdei is luring the champion to come over to America to fight Jones, something unlikely to happen unless the fight was a big Las Vegas event and large amounts of money were involved. The situation with Erdei makes Johnson the most logical choice.

"We're definitely fighting in November," Muhammad said. "We have a couple of dates that we are pondering over, and (Jones) has agreed on the dates. What we're trying to do is make sure the arena is available in Biloxi."

Jones says that getting revenge on Johnson is one of the most important things for him.

"(A rematch with Johnson is) one of my most important moves," said Jones, a former world champion in four weight classes. "I'd rather fight for the title (against Erdei), but it don't matter to me. I want Trinidad, but he don't want me right now.

Jones' adviser, McGee Wright, says the likely scenario is Jones facing Johnson on Nov. 3.

"More than likely, the leading candidate is Glen Johnson," Wright said. "There's other people out there, but that's who he wants to fight. We're in the process of getting everything together, trying to take care of the contracts."

Muhammad says there is a slight chance that ABC would televise a Jones bout on Nov. 10, but if there is no ABC involved, they are not planning to go head-to-head with the Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley pay-per-view, which falls on the same day.

"To go up against Mosley-Cotto on pay-per-view would be foolish," Muhammad said. "We don't want to do that. We don't want to go up against that unless we have a live telecast (on ABC)."

^^^^ there u go, johnson would be my first choice, boost roys legacy a bit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy jones plans to return in november

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    By Mark Vester

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. (51-4, 38 knockouts), fresh off his unanimous decision win over Anthony Hanshaw on July 14 in Biloxi, is planning a return to the ring in November.

Promoter Murad Muhammad told the Pensacola News Journal that Jones will fight on either Nov. 3, Nov. 10 or Nov. 17. The curent front-runner to host the event is the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, and New Orleans is another possibility.

Muhammad said that WBO light heavyweight champion Zsolt Erdei (27-0, 17KOs) is the number one choice for Jones' next fight. Glen Johnson (46-11-2, 31KOs), the man who previously knocked Jones out in 2004, is the second choice. Felix Trinidad would be the third choice, but he doesn't want to face Jones until Jan 2008.

The problem with making the fight with Erdei is luring the champion to come over to America to fight Jones, something unlikely to happen unless the fight was a big Las Vegas event and large amounts of money were involved. The situation with Erdei makes Johnson the most logical choice.

"We're definitely fighting in November," Muhammad said. "We have a couple of dates that we are pondering over, and (Jones) has agreed on the dates. What we're trying to do is make sure the arena is available in Biloxi."

Jones says that getting revenge on Johnson is one of the most important things for him.

"(A rematch with Johnson is) one of my most important moves," said Jones, a former world champion in four weight classes. "I'd rather fight for the title (against Erdei), but it don't matter to me. I want Trinidad, but he don't want me right now.

Jones' adviser, McGee Wright, says the likely scenario is Jones facing Johnson on Nov. 3.

"More than likely, the leading candidate is Glen Johnson," Wright said. "There's other people out there, but that's who he wants to fight. We're in the process of getting everything together, trying to take care of the contracts."

Muhammad says there is a slight chance that ABC would televise a Jones bout on Nov. 10, but if there is no ABC involved, they are not planning to go head-to-head with the Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley pay-per-view, which falls on the same day.

"To go up against Mosley-Cotto on pay-per-view would be foolish," Muhammad said. "We don't want to do that. We don't want to go up against that unless we have a live telecast (on ABC)."

Definitely, would be great for him to get revenge for that devastating knock out. What you think his chances are? How does Johnson look in the ring these days..he's getting on as well isn't he?

ICB Guest

I would love him to revenge the Johnson and Tarver defeats that would be so good for his career then he could retire where would he be ranked if he revenged them losses ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz
    By Mark Vester

Definitely, would be great for him to get revenge for that devastating knock out. What you think his chances are? How does Johnson look in the ring these days..he's getting on as well isn't he?

yeah i hear his been impressive, but mab someone on roys team would be smart enough to tell him "GET OFF THE ROPES", i think roy can do it, i hope he gets enough will to stop johnson, butjohnson wont allow roy to win if hes on the ropes, he has a 12 round workrate and will just beat on jonse , jones has to MOVE!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    I would love him to revenge the Johnson and Tarver defeats that would be so good for his career then he could retire where would he be ranked if he revenged them losses ??
    if not #1 pound for pound i def have him in the 2nd place

ICB Guest

I ment would he be rated alot higher in all time rankings ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I ment would he be rated alot higher in all time rankings ??
    me 2 all time pound 4 pound standings, i kinda felt he accoplished a lil more then ray robinson till het got knocked out, and if he avenges them itll bring roy back, i think he goes down as the greatest lighthevyweight, and def top 5 all time fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How good is Zsolt Erdei? I have never even heard of this guy before guess its because i didnt follow the light heavyweight division all that much. Would Roy be able to take this guy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see a Johnson fight. Glen deserves some exposure but I want Roy to get revenge for a defeat that should never have happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By Mark Vester

Something tells me they learned their lesson after making a PPV bout on the same night of a free Williams-Margarito/Cintron-Mathysse/Gotti-Gomez card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan
    By Mark Vester

Something tells me they learned their lesson after making a PPV bout on the same night of a free Williams-Margarito/Cintron-Mathysse/Gotti-Gomez card
    hah i think so to i wonder how it did

El Kabong Guest

RJJ hasn't KO'd anyone in a loooong time.....I would like for him to avenge those losses but I just don't think he has it in him....not at 175 at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I'd like to see a Johnson fight. Glen deserves some exposure but I want Roy to get revenge for a defeat that should never have happened.
    Why should that KO never happened? It was an honest and beautiful KO against a guy who deserved to get KTFO. Anytime I'm a little depressed and need a pick-me-up, I youtube the KO and clip and watch RJJ shaking with mini-convulsions.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Why should that KO never happened? It was an honest and beautiful KO against a guy who deserved to get KTFO. Anytime I'm a little depressed and need a pick-me-up, I youtube the KO and clip and watch RJJ shaking with mini-convulsions.
    Because in Roy Jones prime he was leagues ahead of Johnson ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also would like to see him avenge the Johnson defeat... Then he will have beat all the fighters that beat him... it would be assbackwards against Tarver cause Roy won the 1st but lost the last 2

Regardless he would have beaten Johnson and Tarver who have victories against Roy

a perfect world for me would be Roy defeating Johnson and then beating Hopkins(that cheating scumbag) then he retires properly

Thread Information