Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you do the Shoulder Roll properly ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How To Do The Shoulder Roll Properly ??

Don't get me wrong, it's great whenn done by the masters and pro's but we're am's no matter how well we defwend or how well we move it doesn't matter, it's our punches that are counted.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you do the Shoulder Roll properly ??

Here is the simple way to do this.
    Start in your basic stance with your right heel off the floor and your left foot flat. Time his punch and drop your right foot flat, turn your weight over your right leg and get your left foot on the toe. This will lift your left shoulder and put your weight on the right foot and in position to throw a counter right.
    This is FAR FAR from useless against a "right hook", or, a looping right hand. The more pronounced the loop in the punch, the more dramatically you put your weight onto the right foot. Works better against the loop, oops, "hook" that is prevalent today than it does against a true straight right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to shoulder roll you're going to be standing in such a way that will invite right hands. So be ready because you're going to be getting all sorts and types of right hands thrown at you. Mostly they are thrown in desperation from your opponent. He thinks he has a free punch, see? He will try hard to get that right hand to land on you. Inside, outside, looping, straight - everything. But like I said he is just being desperate.

Trust me.

You will notice how desperate he is after you make him miss for a while. Then you will begin to notice how afraid he is to even throw the punch after you begin countering him with the right uppercut after his right hand rolls off of your shoulder.

Dont throw this counter right away. Let him get brave and allow him to think he might just land that right hand if he just tries a little harder. He will sense weakness in you and commit heavily into his right hand and try to hurt you. The counter will surprise him and scare him.

Watch James Toney. They always think they can KO James with a right hand. They're always wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey all, it's an older topic by now but I thought I would share anyways. I haven't watched many of Mayweather's fights but from what I know the general shoulder roll is a form of slipping, and slipping should never be done with dipped shoulders. It messes up your balance, shifts the weight between your legs unevenly when you do it with footwork, and stresses your core muscles. Dipping also messes up the natural angle of your fist when you counterpunch from a slip movement.

All you really have to do is quickly turn your upper body so that your orientation to the opponent is perpendicular. Your head should have moved away slightly. Your chin is tucked into the lead shoulder and the lead shoulder is raised. Some important point to remember are that the turning movement is done with both the hips and ab muscles for speed, if you don't use both of these body parts then you'll either lack speed or range of motion. Another important part is to not overrotate too much when you turn away, since all you really need to do is block the strike with your shoulder and/or move your head out of harm's way just enough. Your rear hand is in a perfect position to counter with an uppercut/cross/etc. depending on the situation, so you'll be returning to the normal fighting stance of course. The lead arm should be extended during the movement because high guards will expose the ribs/organs a little once you're turned enough, and an extended arm maintains a cover over this area while also giving you more options and angles for counterpunching. Finally you don't want to use this technique against jabs and quick punches. It will take too much energy to constantly roll back and forth. Crosses and hooks are good strikes to block with the roll since they're delivery takes longer. Just raising your shoulder provides enough coverage that you can block certain angular strikes from an orthodox stance, no turning required. I don't know if Floyd does it too, but when you counterpunch all you need is one hand to block so the rear hand can serve that purpose and block strikes to the opposite side of your head. Well I hope this helps, and what works for me may not work for you so feel free to do things differently

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My idea is to 'roll' back onto my rear foot to effect of avoiding my opponent's cross, rather than attempt to interpose my shoulder into the path of the blow. The motion itself pulls me away from their punch and loads up my right hand.

If you're standing square, as is usually the case with fighter who stands in a peek-a-boo guard, you can't perform the shoulder roll effectively. To begin with, this stance prevents the natural movement of the shoulder roll, and there is a greater distance to overcome.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what position would be better? with the left hand down and standin a bit more side on.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How To Do The Shoulder Roll Properly ??

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's great whenn done by the masters and pro's but we're am's no matter how well we defwend or how well we move it doesn't matter, it's our punches that are counted.
    It may be the proper punches that hit the target area that are counted
    in the point scoring, but proper defense is vital for anyone that wants
    to win on a regular basis. Not only does it avoid scoring punches from landing,
    but it also helps in setting up counter punches.

Also, ask yourself this one question, if you are a master of defense:

If you opponent throws a 100 punches in the first round, and none land,
    what will be your opponents emotional reaction, what will be your
    opponents desire or ability to toss 100 punches in round two, and what
    would be your emotional reaction and the ability to own the ring in
    round 2.

Nothing is for sure in this game of opportunity and chance, something
    that can be put in the tool box is the message from champion's
    trainer:
    "Barney, you will win or lose on the punches you make the other guy miss"

This thread would be something that DAVID HAYE should keep in mind
    when facing the "big guy" in Germany.
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe my oral stability wasn't as stable as I thought it was because everytime I tried to shoulder roll my headgear would blind my left eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not long ago on another forum I posted this video of Mayweather Jr, giving some tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKS2-ZvJJu4

On that same forum another person posted this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNzF0OGhrM

Just like to add, for a short period of time I've been a member of this forum, and this is my first post. There is a lot of good training information on this forum, just like to say thanks for all the training info.

Thread Information