Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Set-ups for the left hook

Yeah, Foster is my guy. I'm 6'3" and weighed 178 or so and my hook was my best shot. Foster didn't just throw the hook, he set it up in so many ways. Some of them, granted, are really only effective for tall guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch all Cotto's past fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tendaii View Post
    So, I'm a lefty that fights orthodox. I got a big left hook as can be expected, and I have alot of success landing it. Naturally, everyone in the gym knows it and I have been having to get crafty and sneaky to land it. I got a bunch of ways that I set it up, but I'm looking for any advice that may help me.

Throw me whatever good set-ups you have and what subtle things you do to set it up. I'd also like some tips on how to make it quicker. And any good drills you may do to further develop it.

I've been doing alot of studying on good ol youtube. Watchin all the left hookers I can find. Who are the best guys to watch? I've been watching alot of Tommy Morrison clips, he definetly had a badass left hook, and I fight somewhat similar to him.
    In the third Zale vs Graziano fight, Zale set the left hook up by throwing a right to the body, and after landing it, Zale unleashed a deadly left hook
    to the chin.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Zelley; 02-25-2009 at 04:58 AM. Reason: typos
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey,

I'm back after sometime lost the pw to my old account anyways. I'm still training and I have some things to add.

Obviously, this aspects of technique can be found elsewhere in this thread and others on the left hook, but i figure i'd emphasize.

The two biggest things ive found when it comes to getting great speed and explosiveness on the hooks is to make sure your on your forefoot as you set, you dont have to be raised up to high, just keep the heel slightly off the ground so you get some spring outa your ankles and knees.

The other word of advice, is when you set, whether off a jab, after sitting down on a cross, or however you end up there, dont overdo the drop in your hips, if you go to low, youll lose both speed and explosion and itll be to slow, drop your hips somewhere between 1-4inches and then pop right back up exploding off your forefoot up and hips up, that will make sure the punch is thrown with your body and not the arm..

the difference is unmistakable, itll seriously be like 3x faster. keep them hooks short too.

anyways read the other left hook posts in here and on other left hook threads, all the info is on these boards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This video shows how to throw a blinding jab to set-up a left hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vysbW8bvwAw

Thread Information