Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Set-ups for the left hook

Be good to move this stuff into a permament on show place Chris.
    Great stuff in this post.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

So your in reverse stance and leading with your strongest hand!

Couple of thoughts for fun,

Hmmm , later on in the rounds when you are in closer to him and you already know the feeling of his movments, you can use his right hand to rebound your left hook around .

You 'feel' the attack and allow your left to come across slightly with his glove but you re adjust your feet, drop your stance and your reply left hook goes around his right arm as it expends and moves back you can head that way with your feet at the outset but turn in with every thing as you hook,or double hook above and then below his right arm on and around his reaction.

.When in close, A strong high hook from in close can be nullified by not even moving your arm or glove away from your face if you choose; if your guard is high up already and they are trying to move you with power by hooking your arm away or trying to land around it with short power, you can just turn and face it and throw any punch to suit their distance with your rear hand as you move forwards and out to that original side; opening them up as you go or chokeing that side down as you move into it if they stand fast.

Look at Vargas he also got away with that hook as well by turning and facing the point of contact (of titos hook) so that his right hand slightly checked the end of titos hook as his own hook landed.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like that idea Andre.

I'm gonna also try to sucker people into throwing a rear hand uppercut and then jack em with the hook as they recoil.

Gonna work those on the mitts like crazy. Good countering ideas. I'm a whole lot of offense right now, good defense, but not much countering.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most fighters who have switched stance are attacking fighters its a mindsett because of the eyes. Andre I loved doing that cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Most fighters who have switched stance are attacking fighters its a mindsett because of the eyes.
    I dont understand what that means. Its a mindset because of the eyes? Could you explain what that means?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because, your dominant side is leading all movement, get a good coach who understands the principle and it can be a winner. I know in the 80s the Cubans experimented with changing there fighters with that Technique. Ive lost touch with what they are doing now, but it was a success. Having to lead with the dominant side is commitment to have it I did it because my coach couldnt train southpaws I conformed its all mindsett. Be aware and work more on understanding that the otherside and understand its the less dominant side that makes it work it can be a winner. Two that did it in recent times who spring to mind are Dela Hoya and Hagler.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because, your dominant side is leading all movement, get a good coach who understands the principle and it can be a winner. I know in the 80s the Cubans experimented with changing there fighters with that Technique. Ive lost touch with what they are doing now, but it was a success. Having to lead with the dominant side is commitment to have it I did it because my coach couldnt train southpaws I conformed its all mindsett. Be aware and work more on understanding that the otherside and understand its the less dominant side that makes it work it can be a winner. Two that did it in recent times who spring to mind are Dela Hoya and Hagler.
    love hearing the science behind it. excellent reads mate. cc556

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was the best thing I've read in a long time, but I'm suprised that nobody mentioned a guy I consider to be one of the very best at landing a left hook- that being Bob Foster. The left hook is my favorite punch and I think he was able to camouflage it and deliever it in more ways than anybody else. He didn't just hammer away with it.
    Personally I think there is too much talk these days of long, leaping and lead left hooks. To me, it is primarily a short countering blow. In leading with a long hook you commit the same sin as when being less than judicious in leading with the right: you leave yourself far too open. These are, essentially, set punches, meaning that you plant your feet in order to get your weight behind a hard punch. Thus it is best to have your opponent coming forward when you throw them. To make this happen even when you are the 'aggressor' is the whole point of boxing.
    Circle right, then hook. Not many do it these days and you avoid the right hand. Beware his hook but, since you should know it is coming, you should be able to avoid it and counter it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the idea olds. I've done this before, but do you move right, then set, let him step and then throw it? or are you moving right, then cutting back left as you deliver the hook?

Since im generally the aggressor, yet I liek to use the hook, I've been feinting alot of other punches to open em up or atleast disguise the motions if they wont. I usually will feint a right in the course of a short combination to set up the hook. It's been working pretty well. The good thing about throwing the hooks alot and only feinting or throwing petty rights is that when you do decide to commit to the right it lands well.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try this. To circle right move your LEFT foot first- maybe 2" to the right, then pivot on your left foot, moving your right foot until you are again in position. It will change your angles and open up hooks to the left side of your opponent's body and to his chin- watch Bob Foster. Punch as you pivot, letting the weight settle back onto your right foot.
    Also puts you in a great spot to follow up with a right hand that MUST have your weight behind it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They showed Foster/Frazier on espn the other night. I was half asleep but I remember Frazier and Foster exchanged left hooks at the same time and well Joe Frazier had a pretty good left hook too I'll just say.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not half bad...
    How about the hooks Foster hit Quarry and Tiger with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a Bob Foster fan I take it

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres more variations on a hook than any shot the variables are many depending on the changes of distance direction and levels you create for yourself. As long as you dont create them for the other guy in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres more variations on a hook than any shot the variables are many depending on the changes of distance direction and levels you create for yourself. As long as you dont create them for the other guy in the process.
    True that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    Not half bad...
    How about the hooks Foster hit Quarry and Tiger with?
    Quarry out cold, and Tiger starring up at the lights. Those hooks sent a shiver up my spine.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information