Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Jack Johnson vs. Mike Tyson. Who Wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Heavyweight of All-Time, Round 1: Jack Johnson vs. Mike Tyson

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Greatest Heavyweight of All-Time, Round 1: Jack Johnson vs. Mike Tyson

First to 10 votes qualifies for the next round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Greatest Heavyweight of All-Time, Round 1: Jack Johnson vs. Mike Tyson

Too much of a fast pace for Johnson to handle...Add that with Tysons power and the Giant falls in 6
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Default Re: Greatest Heavyweight of All-Time, Round 1: Jack Johnson vs. Mike Tyson

Johnson's old style of boxing wouldn't do him no good against prime Tyson i would say Tyson by early ko.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure why people think Tyson wins this one?

Tyson is not going to Ko Johnson early- no chance.
    The 2 aren't that diference weight wise and Johnson is taller.
    Johnson used to get scheduled to fight 45 round fights and was a defense genius with hand speed and power.
    Johnson would not get bowled over by Tyson and was the smarter fighter. If Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker could frustrate Mike and him run out of ideas then Jack Johnson would school him.
    Mike has the punch but Johnson don't get knocked out in under 12 rounds.
    Johnson points no doubts.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob

Johnson used to get scheduled to fight 45 round fights and was a defense genius with hand speed and power.
    Johnson would not get bowled over by Tyson and was the smarter fighter. If Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker could frustrate Mike and him run out of ideas then Jack Johnson would school him.
    Mike has the punch but Johnson don't get knocked out in ubnder 12 rounds.
    Johnson had an old fighting style from early 1900s you think that style would of worked against a fighter like Mike ?? Bonecrusher held on constantly vs Tyson and wasn't there to fight just survive and Tucker had his moments but he had good footwork to last full 12 but overall Tyson still won comfortable decision.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Johnson had an old fighting style from early 1900s you think that style would of worked against a fighter like Mike ?? Bonecrusher held on constantly vs Tyson and wasn't there to fight just survive and Tucker had his moment but he had good footwork to last full 12 but overall Tyson still won comfortable decision.

And your claiming that Tyson would knock Johnson out early. That's utter nonsense. I've seen Johnson fight and Yes he'd kick the crap into Tyson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No fighter pre-20's could hang with any fighter post 60's. All you have to do is look at film to see that.

ICB Guest

Johnson had an old fighting style from early 1900s you think that style would of worked against a fighter like Mike ?? Bonecrusher held on constantly vs Tyson and wasn't there to fight just survive and Tucker had his moment but he had good footwork to last full 12 but overall Tyson still won comfortable decision.

And your claiming that Tyson would knock Johnson out early. That's utter nonsense. I've seen Johnson fight and Yes he'd kick the crap into Tyson.
    Johnson's style was good for his era but against someone like Mike ?? no way Johnson's style would not work in era of 60s 70s 80s 90s ect Tyson had good headmovement plus Tyson was too quick and powerful for Johnson i reckon Mike would take him out in couple of rounds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson's style was good for his era but against someone like Mike ?? no way Johnson's style would not work in era of 60s 70s 80s 90s ect Tyson had good headmovement plus Tyson was too quick and powerful for Johnson i reckon Mike would take him out in couple of rounds.

A couple of rounds? Ha Ha Your just showing your ignorance and lack of knowledge- give it up.

ICB Guest

A couple of rounds? Ha Ha Your just showing your ignorance and lack of knowledge- give it up.
    No im saying it as i see it i've seen both and Johnson hasn't got the style to beat Mike Johnson had an old style of boxing i have watched few fights of Johnson i think he was great for his era but he wouldn't of beaten a fighter like Mike who had great peek a boo defense great power great speed and great combos.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted for Johnson to beat Tyson.

Ice mate you are still showing yourself incapable of seeing beyond the time factor.

If you could somehow teleport both a prime Tyson and a prime Johnson from their respective era's without taking away from or adding anything to their fighting styles, diet and nutrition, understanding of a modern perspective, trainers etc then I agree Tyson would win.

BUT that is not how the real world works. The way you look at this is skewed. It's like saying that if Patrick Moore and Gaileo had an astronomy competition to see who could unfathom the depths of space better that Moore would definitely win because he had a much better telescope.

But of course if Galieo lived today he would be using the same state of the art technology as Moore and so we could conclude his visionary genuis would mean he would be a better astronomer than Moore today.

It's EXACTLY the same with Johnson. If Johnson fought in the same era as Tyson he would be exposed to the same training and nutrition and would understand the MODERN fighting styles etc.

The reason Johnson was so good was because like Gallieo he was a visionary who was ahead of his time. There is no reason whatsoever to think that had he fought in Tyson's era he wouldn't have been equally as visionary and would have developed a style that would have frustrated and nullified Tyson in the same way he nullified James Jeffries.

You gotta get this old fighting style thing out of your head mate, it wasn't old at the time, he was a good 30 or 40 years ahead of his time.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Ice mate you are still showing yourself incapable of seeing beyond the time factor.

If you could somehow teleport both a prime Tyson and a prime Johnson from their respective era's without taking away from or adding anything to their fighting styles, diet and nutrition, understanding of a modern perspective, trainers etc then I agree Tyson would win.

BUT that is not how the real world works. The way you look at this is skewed. It's like saying that if Patrick Moore and Gaileo had an astronomy competition to see who could unfathom the depths of space better that Moore would definitely win because he had a much better telescope.

But of course if Galieo lived today he would be using the same state of the art technology as Moore and so we could conclude his visionary genuis would mean he would be a better astronomer than Moore today.

It's EXACTLY the same with Johnson. If Johnson fought in the same era as Tyson he would be exposed to the same training and nutrition and would understand the MODERN fighting styles etc.

The reason Johnson was so good was because like Gallieo he was a visionary who was ahead of his time. There is no reason whatsoever to think that had he fought in Tyson's era he wouldn't have been equally as visionary and would have developed a style that would have frustrated and nullified Tyson in the same way he nullified James Jeffries.

You gotta get this old fighting style thing out of your head mate, it wasn't old at the time, he was a good 30 or 40 years ahead of his time.

I knew you would be in this topic mate because i know you like Johnson.

Anyways mate what im saying is if they both fought prime for prime Johnson would of lost yes Johnson could have improved if he would of been newer era but just say Johnson would have fought with his style in early 1900s vs Tysons style it would of been a bit of a massacre imo im not saying Johnson couldn't have improved if he wouldn't have been in newer era but we are talking both in there prime with Johnson's style and with Tyson's style thats what i was basing this match up on anyway.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyways mate what im saying is if they both fought prime for prime Johnson would of lost yes Johnson could have improved if he would of been newer era but just say Johnson would have fought with his style in early 1900s vs Tysons style it would of been a bit of a massacre imo im not saying Johnson couldn't have improved if he wouldn't have been in newer era but we are talking both in there prime with Johnson's style and with Tyson's style thats what i was basing this match up on anyway.
    I agree that if you took Johnson from 1906 and stuck him in 1986 against Tyson without allowing him to see any of the developments that had taken place in boxing in the previous 80 years then yes Tyson would almost certainly win but how unfair is that?

Thats like saying who is the cleverest Leanardo Da Vinci or a an average 16 year old GCSE student?

If Da Vinci was suddenly transported out of the late 1400's and stuck in a clasroom to do an A Level Biology or Physics course he would come bottom of the class most likely as he just wouldn't know any of the scientific developments that would have taken place since his times 600 years ago.

Yet we all know that Da Vinci is considered by unanimous consent to have been one of the most intelligent and gifted people to have ever lived and would certainly wipe the floor with all of those kids in terms of intelligence.

Surely you can see what I am saying?

ICB Guest

I agree that if you took Johnson from 1906 and stuck him in 1986 against Tyson without allowing him to see any of the developments that had taken place in boxing in the previous 80 years then yes Tyson would almost certainly win but how unfair is that?

Thats like saying who is the cleverest Leanardo Da Vinci or a an average 16 year old GCSE student?

If Da Vinci was suddenly transported out of the late 1400's and stuck in a clasroom to do an A Level Biology or Physics course he would come bottom of the class most likely as he just wouldn't know any of the scientific developments that would have taken place since his times 600 years ago.

Yet we all know that Da Vinci is considered by unanimous consent to have been one of the most intelligent and gifted people to have ever lived and would certainly wipe the floor with all of those kids in terms of intelligence.

Surely you can see what I am saying?
    Yes i do Bilbo i will highlight the part in bold what i was basing this fight on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson was too good defensively for Tyson to get to him early. This fight not be over quick and go into Johnsons water. Hes fought 20+ rounds so Tyson gets tired and either loses a wide decision or gets stopped.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Thread Information