Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Louis vs. Holmes

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Heavyweight Of All-Time, Quaterfinals: Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Greatest Heavyweight Of All-Time, Quaterfinals: Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Vote Up. The semi's beckon.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Greatest Heavyweight Of All-Time, Quaterfinals: Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

I can see Larry going through here, as he is a very popular fighter on this board .... but for me, Louis scrapes a narrow decision against Larry (and doesn't look particularly impressive doing it).

Both fighters start fast, but soon Holmes elects to try and counterpunch his way to victory, trying to time Louis as he comes in. Joe patiently stalks Holmes and earns the points due to his hand speed in throwing short blurring shots on his way in. A flash knockdown early gives Larry hope, but Joe is remorseless and only the fabled Holmes chin allows him to see the fnal round with pride intact.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Greatest Heavyweight Of All-Time, Quaterfinals: Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Holmes wins, too big, and his jab too good. Probably a knockout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was almost a coin toss for me, but I had to go with Joe in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is about even as one can get....IMO though Joe just pulls it out in the end...a bit stronger....and he would adjust to find some way to balance some of the effect on Larry's great jab
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another battle of the jabs. Louis holds the edge in power. Both great technical boxers.
    Tough one again but I edge with Joe Louis on points.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holmes would jab his way to a decision IMO. Too big, strong and fast for ol' Joe.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

ICB Guest

Holmes would win the exact way Conn was winning use footwork and Holmes would use his longer reach to outjab Louis and win decision Louis is too slow on his feet to beat Holmes plus his reach isn't longer enough Holmes would catch Louis with that piston left jab.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    This is about even as one can get....IMO though Joe just pulls it out in the end...a bit stronger....and he would adjust to find some way to balance some of the effect on Larry's great jab
    I don't think so Louis is too slow on his feet to get to Holmes and Holmes longer reach in the jab would cause Louis alot of problems aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    I don't think so Louis is too slow on his feet to get to Holmes and Holmes longer reach in the jab would cause Louis alot of problems aswell.

Until Louis was shot he always found a way to win.....IMO he would adjust.....Louis was great under pressure....Knowing how important..... The Saddo Boxing Form Greatest Heavyweight of All Time Tourney is..... IMO think he would would bring out the best in him....Like I said close but I go with Louis in the end....Holmes wins the early rounds 1-5 or 6 then once Louis adjust it's all him
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Until Louis was shot he always found a way to win.....IMO he would adjust.....Louis was great under pressure....Knowing how important..... The Saddo Boxing Form Greatest Heavyweight of All Time Tourney is..... IMO think he would would bring out the best in him....Like I said close but I go with Louis in the end....Holmes wins the early rounds 1-5 or 6 then once Louis adjust it's all him
    But how would he adjust in what way ?? he can't outjab Holmes he can't beat Holmes to the punch he can't dance around the ring and if he tried to be aggressor following Holmes around ring Holmes would just pick him off it seems same fighters get through finals all the time Louis and Ali but imo Louis would not beat Holmes.

Conn was winning Louis fight hands down only reason Conn lost was because he exchanged punches with Louis Holmes wouldn't do that and even if he needed to in certain rounds Holmes has got a great chin and can hold his own in brawling department.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

holmes all the way i dont see louis winning he just is out gunned by holmes by size and reach and spead holmes by late ko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holmes. Much too fast for a big guy.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis was a great fighter, very powerful and decent speed, but he was too slow of foot and somewhat robotic. Larry Holmes too me is the most underrated heavyweight champion of all time. He would move around Joe and bust him up pretty bad with that great jab of his. Also if Larry can handle Earnie Shavers power i think he can most definitely handle Joe power. Larry by decision.

ICB Guest

Nice one fellas Holmes got through im glad because we always get Ali vs Louis in finals its nice to have a bit of a change.

Thread Information