Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Different / Alternate Training Ideas

Reinforcing the biomechanics used in weaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    The best way ive found is to get 2 ropes 9" apart the length of the ring. Use them both always throwing punches forward backward lateral. Or do what i did make a net over the ring 18 " squares that you can ajust the height to suite the individual.
    Yes put the ball on the upper back between the shoulder blades put the feet central to the ball, so youre not square with the wall but central to the back. you will feel it in the lower back, and can move 6" side to side with the feet and get a nice rythem going lateraly pushing into the wall.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Practicing the slipping movement:

The only thing its good for is head and foot movement. But very few people use it for that. Im 62 and can make it move just as fast using my head as people using their hands can. Using it for hands is of no benefit what so ever. The first person I ever saw using it for movement of the head was Roberto Duran it was a joy to watch I think Ive still got the tape somewhere Ill have a look if not ill vidio myself doing it
    Put your hands behind your back if you like, move the ball with head while moving the feet and body. Your kneck moves 2 inch it teaches movement at speed, its the same movement as slipping a shot, circle as you do it. Its hard work doing it, but good fun
    Adam you hit it with your head as thougth your slipping a shot its a great technique to learn
    Ive mentioned this before. Its a great tool for learning the mechanics of slipping a punch. get it so the bottom is level wiyh your eyes, by using the feet and moving round the ball and using the head to hit the ball its a great tool. with practice you can move the ball as fast as if you were using the hands.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Training the muscles used in the left hook:

Get a fit ball hold it in your palms arms straight out in front of you dont bend elbows. push iin with palms as hard as you can while doing it turn hands so the outside of your hands are on the ball still pushing 20secs do it 4 times should help

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Proprioception, balance and stretching your feet/ankles:

How many of you stretch your feet. We use them more than anything, and yet they are forgotten theres some little crackers can be done, solves a lot of problems. I use iron shoes wonderful things I came up with a thing years ago a wobbly board. another one get 2 footballs hands against the wall and stand on them bare footed moving back and forward side to side circles its good fun andteaches you the perception of balance. expect to fall on your a*** a few times but its fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Increasing your body's response quickness:

Theres loads of little tricks you can try to make your responses for movement better Ill just give you a little one.Get hold of two rubber medicine balls same size stand barefoot on them shoulder width apart start shadowboxing on them knees bent you will come off a few times,to start with keep pluging away.After a while start rocking your feet on the balls 2 to3 inch at a time it will make your responses much qiucker.When youve got good at it try it with your dominant eye shut. Now that is hard.
    Actually what is happening is youre making all your motor neurons work and bind at the same time you heard it on SADDO'S first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From Gene Tunney's training I liked how he did 1 finger press-ups on a wall working on each individual finger. It doesn't hurt, and goes well with other work that strengthens your fingers and grip strength.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Coin Catching

Coin Catching

One neat little thing that I like to do when I'm just sitting around with nothing better to do is coin catching. What you'd do is place a coin on the back on your hand with your arm extended at shoulder level. Now with a little jerk of your arm you'd pop it up in the air and with the same motion as a punch you'd catch it.

You should switch between both hands when practicing this. As you get better you should place an additional coin onto the back of your hand and for each coin you add use another punch to catch it. To make it even harder you should increase the distance that your hand will have to travel. I found to get the most benefit out of this exercise is to also spend time practicing while wearining an eyepatch. If you become dedicated with this exercise be prepared for a dramatic improvement in your coordination and reflexes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coin Catching

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Coin Catching

One neat little thing that I like to do when I'm just sitting around with nothing better to do is coin catching. What you'd do is place a coin on the back on your hand with your arm extended at shoulder level. Now with a little jerk of your arm you'd pop it up in the air and with the same motion as a punch you'd catch it.

You should switch between both hands when practicing this. As you get better you should place an additional coin onto the back of your hand and for each coin you add use another punch to catch it. To make it even harder you should increase the distance that your hand will have to travel. I found to get the most benefit out of this exercise is to also spend time practicing while wearining an eyepatch. If you become dedicated with this exercise be prepared for a dramatic improvement in your coordination and reflexes.
    wouldnt mind watchin a vid of this as i cant figure out how to do it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coin Catching

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7iRtuDSSOk

Here's a so-so example of coin catching but more important is that it shows a good placement of the coins on the back of your hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Re: Dynamic Tension,

They are benifital to many areas .
    Here is one such exersise,
    hold your fist up vertically in front of you (in rear guard position) with elbow down ,now imagine that there is someone in front of you pushing your fist back into your face; now slowly, one millameter at a time push against that imaginary force until your arm is out stretching to a position of forward guard. now with out moving imagine the force is stopping you from taking it back to rear guard position and you go back against it mill by mill . (takes about 3 miniutes to go out and 3 to go back.

Usually 3 times on both sides is one form complete.
    #get into a lower than normal stance while you are doing this and you have an overall workout happening#.
    By the time you get through both arms if your doing it right you have a major sweat on and you have just trained your self against an opponent pushing your arms around ,keeping your guard up and the indurance to do so.
    The limitations are your imagination.
    These exersises were first uses by Shaolin monks in their fighting stuctures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Re: Strengthening the Uppercut on the heavybag,
    A few ways ,Some added power can be gained with weighted gloves or hand weights but dont go there until you get the technique absolutley perfect and your fist strong and tight enough each time so you never damage them. First get your technique down so you can utilize full body weight into the shot with leg lift and hip turn.

Try this one first,(Its mainly for when its on and your opponent is caught a little more square on to you than usual and is committing to a few rear straight shots or he is trying to catch you as you head to his inside.
    Tie the back of your bag up so it lays at a 45% angle . now stand just out of distance from it so you cant hit the bag ,In normal stance left foot forward ,now go to square shouldered as you bend down at the hips so your head is on its way down near your hip level (always look up keeping your eyes on his elbows and take your head around to the left like your ducking a shot or going around and under a jab;just as you step in at a 45% angle under the nose of the bag and as your left foot lands out to the side, your head is comming up (your visualizing on the out side of his right cross ,straight or jab)and as your head comes up your right leg steps or slides into centre which gets your right hand into contact range and you upper cut as that leg straightens out.
    Thats power, timing and technique.(you need em all).
    Practice both ways around it works whatever stance the other fella is in,except you'll find that on occasions you can go under with your rear leg; like switching as you go under.
    Your head goes through a half circle with your step like this > U . So you are avoiding, hiding the shot by readjusting so you get off the rear arm with a hip turn and leg straighten for the added power.

You can of course just do the original move and come over his right arm with a left bomb as you rise, in that case you step in a touch further with the left and your right leg actually slides around to your rear as the overhand bomb lands, for the power;(In this case visualise fighting a southy and going under his lead.)

Quote Originally Posted by APToole on August 10, 2004, 11:58:43 AM
    would anybody like post a picture of that being done? Because I see how that would work out in my head but if I saw a picture it would make it easier for me to put it into action.
    I sure couldnt ,Im hopless at getting pictures into here.
    But try this ; stand up against anything,heavy bag or even a door jamb. place your right fist to the 45% angle like inbetween a uppercut and a hook ,against it. now with out moving your arm just turn that back heel in and you will see it adds to the movement and power by your body weight; thats what you can drop onto the end of a shot depending ,of course on where you want to end up after the shot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get a space hopper put your hands either side of it with your arms straight. Push forward shoulder height, push in with both hands. Then turn your hands down, thumbs down, keep repeating this every 15 secs for 2 mins. This will give the muscles in the shoulders a better response, to carry out the task Also it will make your jab and right hand better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Balance and movement on the heavy bag:
    The heavy bag isnt a good piece of equipment to use to learn footwork, unless you put a belt around the bag and a belt around yourself with elasticated rope between the bag and your waist. Stick your arm out so you 6 inches away from the bag thats your distance.

When the bag moves you have to, because it is pulling your centre of gravity. I have always found this a terrific way for balance and movement and punching at the same time.

Hope this helps, there are many ways to do this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap on Bodywork:
    Its all to do with levels distance and direction whether youre outside or in. you need a wider stance in than you need out. Ive always found using a large tire good for standing on while doing body work on the pads, its a laugh.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 05-20-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Balance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    my point was not so much on the issue of power but of making contact with the target and the point about legs is correct. Let's not forget if you do lean over with a cross it can be a long way back to your centre and be balanced.

Scrap, in terms of the jab try it sitting on a chair. take the legs out of it for the moment. Just make a fist and push it out straight. Now do the same thing but turn your shoulder/chest with it.
    Try sitting on a fit ball and doing it or get some hand pads put them round your knees and shadow box on your knees through isolating the feet you get good upper body movement in balance.

Thread Information